*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252990-The-Flashes-Chapter-22
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2252990
The Duke arrives.
Chapter 22
.

Baldwin rushed outside and looked over at the anchored ship. “That’s not a pirate ship, Osbert. See the flag at the back. That is the Duke of Lovat’s flag. I thought he was dead.”

         “They’re lowering a boat,” Osbert said. “What would a duke want of us? Will he want to take our food?”

         “I think not. I think these must be the warriors the mayor of Mossley is waiting for. I hope he has more than the half a dozen or so men that’s in that longboat.”

         The rest of the family walked out. “Are you sure they are friendly?" Dunstan said. “Should we start taking precautions?”

         “I’ll walk to the shoreline and watch them as they come in. If I hurry back then they may not be friendly.”

         “Be careful, Baldwin,” Erica said. Baldwin nodded and walked off to meet the boat.

         Baldwin stood his ground at the shoreline after noticing the duke was on board. The boat landed and the Duke was the first off the boat. He hurried over to Baldwin and they shook hands, much to the relief of the family watching from the cave.

         “Good to see you, Baldwin. I wondered what happened to you and Morgan.”

         “I thought you were dead,” Baldwin said.

         “No, close thing though. I was a bit further back with some of the men so we managed to get clear when it was all going wrong. There was a lot more than the two hundred men that you and Morgan said were camped there.”

         “Yes, there was. And if you had waited for me and Morgan to return, as agreed, then you would have known that and not sent all those men to their deaths.”

         “War, Baldwin. Things can go wrong but the men were soldiers and knew the risks.” He looked across to the cave. “So, what are you up to now?”

         “I’m settled and I’ve got a wife.”

         “Oh, I’d have thought you would rather be helping out at Mossley than being settled here.”

         “I help Morgan out when I can.”

         “Morgan is here as well. That’s a bonus.” He looked back at his men. “One of you go back and tell them to launch all the boats and bring the men to shore.”

         “There is the little matter of a month’s pay, Duke.”

         The Duke laughed. “Money, money. That’s all you mercenaries think of.” He pulled out a purse and gave Baldwin four gold coins. “That should cover it,” he said. I suppose you know why I am here.”

         “Of course.”

         “And will you be joining my ranks?”

         “Like I said, I help Morgan when I can. So how many men have you brought?”

         “Forty. Twenty who escaped from Pavillion and some new faces. All good men and with the guards at Mossley plus you and Morgan, we are guaranteed success.”

         “There is no ‘we’ anymore. I am happy here now.”

         “Yes, whatever you say, Baldwin, but I know better. Come, show me some of your hospitality while my men land. I could do with some better wine than that stuff on the ship.”

         Baldwin walked off with the Duke towards the cave. “I take it you will guide us to Mossley, Baldwin.”

         “Yes, I was going there today anyway.”

         The Duke met with Baldwin’s new family and he behaved the perfect gentleman, as expected of a duke.

         "So, is it just the six of you that live here?" the Duke asked.

         "Not at all," Dunstan replied. "Elfwine, lives here but is in Mossley at the moment."

         "Elfwine, an unusual name, and one I seem to recall. Was his father the expert archer named Balfor?"

         "Yes," Matilda said. "Balfor was his father."

         " I will be pleased to meet him again. The last time I saw him, he was no more than ten years old and his father, my friend, had been tragically killed."

         "Murdered. Elfwine says his father was murdered."

         "Yes, that is true. Apologies if I have offended you, but I did not want to say he was murdered if you were not aware."

         "No apology needed." Matilda said. "And I am sure Elfwine will be pleased to see you if he remembers you."

         When all the men were assembled on shore, Baldwin and the Duke led them off through the marsh towards Mossley.

         “Do you think these Vialian folk will have a spy in those woods so as to alert them of our presence?”

         “Funny you should say that,” Baldwin said. “There was one up there on the hill. But he was found and killed by one of the local men yesterday.”

         “That was well-timed then,” the Duke said.

         “We should be near the town by four o’clock,” Baldwin said. “But I think your men should stay hidden in the woods until after dark when they may not be seen going into the town.

         "What does it matter if we are seen now?" the Duke said.

         "We will want to maintain an element of surprise. That would give us an advantage in an attack and could save the lives of some of your men."

         "A good point Baldwin. I think we should come in under darkness."

         "That's right," Baldwin said and nodded his head. "When your men are settled I’ll take you to see the mayor and then we can come back for your men later.”

         “Sounds good to me.”

* * * * *


         Elfwine woke early and left his bed at The Bull Inn and went across to have breakfast with Morgan and Flora.

         “The guard master had a lot to drink last night,” Elfwine said. “He was in quite a state.”

         "Thanks to you Elfwine. You kept urging him to have 'just one more drink' like you two were old friends." Morgan laughed. “He’s lucky the mayor didn’t see him like that. It wouldn’t go down well with the town on alert. He won’t turn up at the guard master’s office today unless the warning is sounded.”

         "That's what I thought. So who will be in the office?"

         “Thomas. I’ve already told Thomas to take over from the night guard. You know Thomas, he was with me...”

         “Yes, I know Thomas.”

         “Well, time's getting on, I’d better get down to my post at the back gate,” Morgan said.

         “I’ll walk down with you,” Elfwine said. “Then I think I’ll take a stroll around the fence ledge. After that, I’ll go to The Bull Inn and let Flora entertain me.”

         Flora gave a smile. “Just like old times then,” she said.

         After Elfwine left Morgan he walked around the ledge and called in at the guard master’s office. “Thomas, how are you?”

         “I’m okay, Elfwine. It’s good to see you again.”

         “Morgan sent me. He wants me to exercise the prisoner around the town.”

         “I’m impressed he remembered that. I usually walk the prisoner if the guard master turns up that is.”

         Thomas went into the cell with a cord. Weasel stood up and put his hands behind his back. “We have to tie his hands. Orders. You need to fetch him back within half an hour or we will have to start a hunt.”

         “I know,” Elfwine said. “Orders”

         Elfwine left the office and headed into town but turned into an alley. He turned Weasel to face the wall and undid his hands.

         “What’s going on,” Weasel said.

         “You are in danger. Oliver knows you have been talking to us. He has taken two peasants hostage and he wants you in exchange for the hostages.”

         “Please, don’t let him take me. He will torture me. He will kill me.”

         “You can escape. You know Oliver, once he has you he will kill the hostages anyway. The cattle and goats will be taken out to graze soon. Herders and some peasant farmers will go out with them. You just have to mix amongst them, get outside and then head left for Advent.”

         “I don't understand. Why are you doing this for me?”

         “It is wrong for them to hand you over to that monster of a man. And these people are nothing to me. All I have done for them and I have received not a groat in return. But as you know, I have a score to settle with Fenglast, and the information you gave us will be a great help in tracking him down. I am grateful to you for that."

         Elfwine looked out from the alley. “They are starting to gather. Get ready to walk over. Look confident. Look as if you usually go to the fields.”

         Another five minutes passed and the guards began to lower the bridge. “Off you go,” Elfwine said and Weasel walked across to join the group. The gate was opened and the crowd went off. Elfwine went to the fence ledge and looked out. The crowd dispersed their separate ways though not straying too far from the gate.

         Weasel happily set off on the path towards his new life in Advent. He had gone no more than thirty yards when Elfwine’s arrow struck him in the back and he fell to the ground where he cavorted in agony before dying. A guard ran along from his place above the gate. “What’s happening,” he shouted to Elfwine.



 The Flashes. Chapter 23  (18+)
Vialians plan a large attack at Mossley.
#2147426 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2021 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252990-The-Flashes-Chapter-22