*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253061-The-Flashes-Chapter-8
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2253061
Baldwin Returns to See Erica
Chapter 8



The tide was in when Baldwin arrived at the cave and the cave was cut-off with the waves crashing against the cliff face. He called out and Elfwine’s wife Arabella came to the gate, opened it, and walked out.

         “Didn’t expect you back so soon,” she shouted across.

         “Oh!” he called. “I don’t want to be a nuisance.”

         “Don’t be silly. I didn’t mean it like that. I thought you might have spent some time in the comfort of the inns after your encounter with the sea.”

         “I could have done, but the company here is much nicer. So, Arabella, is there another way in or should I wade across?”

         "There's no other way in. If you wade across it can be dangerous. If the waves lift you they could throw you against the jagged rocks at the cliff face. It's best to wait.”

         Baldwin just laughed and then jumped into the water and forced his way across before following Arabella into the cave.

         “There is a nice chicken broth cooking in the pot, so you are welcome to join us later. For now, you might want to stand by the fire to try and dry your clothes a little.”

         “No, I’m used to getting wet. My body heat will dry my clothes soon enough. So where is everybody?”

         “Matilda is having her afternoon sleep, and the others are crafting and tending to the crops outside.”

         “That end of the cave never gets cut off then?”

         “No, it’s too far away from the shore.”

         Baldwin walked out to the small bay and was greeted by Dunstan. “Good to see you again my friend, but what brings you back so soon?” He briefly looked over at Erica. “Apart from the obvious.”

         Baldwin chose not to comment on his feeling for Erica at this time. “I like the life you have here. I would like to settle down and this seems the ideal place for me if you would allow me to stay. But if you want me to move on I will respect your decision.”

         “You are very welcome to stay as long as you please, and we can always use an extra pair of hands.”

         Elfwine and Osbert made their way over and they both welcomed him. “What of your friend Morgan?” Elfwine asked.

         “He has become a guard at the town. He’s happy with that.”

         Erica was pulling weeds from the crops and vegetables but was continually glancing over.

         Dunstan called out to her. “Erica, don’t be so rude. Come over and greet our new member of the family.”

         Erica walked over. “It’s good to see you again, but I’m sorry I look so scruffy.” She tried to brush the dirt off her gown and hands.

         “You still look pretty to me.”

         “Leave the field, for now, Erica,” Dunstan said. “Take Baldwin round the shoreline and see if any logs or timber have been washed up.”

         As the couple walked off to the shoreline, Osbert looked at his father. “We have plenty of logs. Why are you trying to pair Erica off with the stranger?”

         “He is a fine specimen of a man and it is time I had grandchildren.”

         “But...”

         “Enough, you just carry on sharpening the blades.” Elfwine looked at Osbert and grinned before going off to continue making his arrows.

         Baldwin and Erica walked no more than a few steps along the shore when Baldwin took hold of her hand. "You don't mind?" he said.

         "I didn't mind before, why would I mind now?"

         "They can all see us now."

         "I'm not a child, I can do as I please." She surprised him by throwing her arms around him and giving him a long and passionate kiss. Just as suddenly she pulled away and led him by his hand as she continued to walk.

         "Well I wasn't expecting that," he said. "You seem like my kind of woman."

         "And we will have to wait a little longer to see if you are my kind of man."

         Baldwin spent another night on the cave floor. He was comfortable but frustrated knowing Erica was lying only yards away from him.

         It was early morning when Elfwine woke him. “I’m going out to get some rabbits if you want to come along?”

         Baldwin jumped up. “Of course.”

         Elfwine looked him up and down. “You look about the same size as me. I haven’t seen you out of those same clothes since you came here. I have a lot of clothes that the women made. We’ll sort you some out when we get back.”

         They set off through the marsh and into the wooded area. It was not long before Elfwine spotted his first target. His aim was true and the kill was instant. They walked over, Elfwine retrieved his arrow and dropped the rabbit into a bag. A little further on Baldwin whispered, “there, over by that broken branch. It a good way off but we can creep up on it and hopefully, it won’t run off.”

         “No need,” Elfwine said and he took aim.

         “You’ll never hit it from here.” No sooner had the words left Baldwin’s mouth when the rabbit was killed.

         “That’s amazing. Where did you learn to shoot an arrow like that?”

         “My father taught me, bless him. He was the best archer in the land. He could shoot an acorn out of the mouth of a squirrel.”

         Baldwin was not sure it was true but he kept the thought to himself.

         “Two more then we have enough,” Elfwine said and he soon made the number up. "I have a spare couple of bows, Baldwin. Perhaps next time you can have a try at getting some game?"

         "I'll look forward to that," Baldwin replied.

         Baldwin settled in well with his new friends and his desire for Erica grew ever stronger.

         A month later Osbert was sent out to gather some eggs for breakfast. He soon came running back in. “Pirates!” He shouted.

         "Don't be silly," Matilda said.

         Dunstan looked out from the cave. “It's pirates all right. The pirate ship is in the bay flying their flag and two longboats are heading for the shore. Probably sixteen or so raiders. We have to move quickly.”

 The Flashes. Chapter 9.  (18+)
The pirates raid The Flashes.
#2146060 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2021 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253061-The-Flashes-Chapter-8