*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253150-The-Day-She-Left
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2253150
After 30 years of marriage, a wife has had enough. Response to a writing.com prompt
Ruby sighed as she washed the dinner dishes. She guessed she should have been used to eating dinner alone by now, but the idea still bothered her. What could be so important that Jack would once again come home late and not call? Ruby had her suspicions, but she hoped she was wrong.

Wearily, she trudged to the bedroom and changed into her pajamas. Taking off her glasses, she started to climb into bed. But...what was that on the nightstand? She squinted at the gleaming item and shook her head. Once she had her glasses on, she picked up the item in question and studied it carefully. A bewildered expression crossed her face as she tried to figure out where the earring came from. She had never worn genuine gold earrings because Jack had told her they were too expensive. She'd have to ask about his sudden change of heart.

It was now almost ten o'clock, and Jack was still not home yet. What could be keeping him? By now, Ruby wasn't sure whether to be worried or angry. Reluctantly, she put on her bathrobe and went to the living room to work on the crossword puzzle in the newspaper. Maybe Jack would be home before she finished.

Good. This was an easy puzzle. Friday's puzzles were always easy for Ruby. As she solved one clue after another, she put the last answer down. Still no Jack. Resignedly, she put the pencil down and started reading the advice columns. One question caught her eye: "I'm in an unhappy marriage. My wife has let herself go, and I'm no longer attracted to her. She's a good cook and housekeeper, so I don't want to divorce her. I'd rather work late or go out with the guys. At least they don't nag me about mowing the lawn." Ruby's eyes widened when she saw that the anonymous message was sent from her city. Was she just being paranoid?

Ruby read the columnist's advice and silently agreed: "You don't need a wife. You need a maid." She glanced at the door before folding the newspaper and laying it back on the coffee table. Before she knew it, she had dozed off in her easy chair. A familiar sound at the door soon roused her awake.

"Jack! It's nearly midnight!" she exclaimed worriedly.

"Yeah, sorry about that," Jack responded flatly. "It's Friday night, and that means happy hour."

"Jack...." Her voice trailed off as she gave him an inscrutable look.

"Oh, don't look at me like that, Ruby," Jack responded irritably. "Don't I deserve some enjoyment in my life?"

"What are you talking about? I didn't say anything."

"You nag me about mowing the lawn. You get all upset because I want to spend some time with the guys. And look at you. You've let yourself go. You're not the same woman I married. I'd leave you if you weren't such a good cook."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Is that so? That's the only reason you haven't divorced me?"

"Well...you take good care of the house, too. But I'm not getting any younger, and I'm tired of the same old, same old. I guess I'm just bored with you."

"I guess I should thank you for finally telling me how you really feel about our marriage. After that spiel you gave at our anniversary party, I had almost started to believe that there was still hope for us."

Pushing past his wife, Jack made his way to the kitchen. As he opened the refrigerator, he called, "You've got leftovers in here, right? I'm hungry."

No response. Jack called again. Still no response. By now, he was irritated. She'd always warmed up his leftovers for him before. Why was tonight different? Jack stomped into the living room, ready to give her a piece of his mind. To his surprise, she wasn't in there. "Ruby! Where are you, woman? Get in here!"

A few minutes later, Ruby, now fully dressed, returned to the living room. She was clutching the handle of a simple blue suitcase in one hand. In the other hand was the earring she had found. She looked him in the eye but said nothing.

"What's with the suitcase?" Jack barked. "Don't tell me you're walking away from this marriage."

Ruby's gaze remained steady as she placed the earring on the coffee table. "I called one of your co-workers after dinner. He told me you left at quitting time. I don't need any excuses. Just remember this: I knew something was going on. Now I know you're a liar too."

"Ruby! Don't do this to me!" Jack protested.

She shook her head at him and gave him a pitying look. "Goodbye, Jack. I've had enough." With that, she carried her suitcase to the door. If she went out the door, she knew there was no turning back. Ruby took a deep breath and turned the knob. Resolutely, she walked out into the night, never looking back.
© Copyright 2021 Natasha (natashal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253150-The-Day-She-Left