*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253380-Doing-it-Right
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2253380
Flash Fiction
Doing it Right

“That isn’t how we do things here.”

John looked up to see who was talking, assuming whoever it was wasn’t speaking to him. There was a tall older man staring at him, and no one else around as far as he could see.

“Excuse me?”

“I would,” the man said, “but there’s no excuse for the shoddy job you’re doing on that floor.”

“I beg your pardon!” John said, turning red, and slightly angry. “I’m doing this exactly the way the former janitor taught me to do it!”

“Ah, that’s why. That was Samuel, wasn’t it.”

Now confused, John said, “Yes...”

“Well, Samuel was a ‘good enough’ cleaner. But, he only did enough to keep from getting fired. Never put in the effort to make it right. I personally would have fired him ages ago, but it was not my decision to make, unfortunately. I had to wait him out and hope for the best. I read your resume. You impressed me as being someone who cares. I thought you would do better.

“Well, actually I always start a job by following my predecessor’s instructions, and then I work in my own style over time.”

“That works perfectly! I had this job before Samuel!”

“If you had the job before Samuel, why aren’t you here now?”

“Stupid reason, love this place, and I’d be delighted to show you my routines, so much better. Better outcomes, actually simpler and take less time in the long run too, once you get them down pat! My name’s Henry.”

“Well Henry, I would love to have the lessons and the help! Let’s go!”

Later the director complemented John on his excellent work. “This place hasn’t looked this good since Henry Sharp worked here.”

“Why exactly did Henry leave?”

“Unfortunately, seven years ago, he died...”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253380-Doing-it-Right