*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253719-Andrew
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2253719
Flash Fiction
Andrew

“Jules, why are you standing out here?” her grandfather asked as he came out the door.

“Oh,” she started, seeming a bit embarrassed, “I was just, ah, getting some air.”

Noticing the reddening of her cheeks her grandfather knew there was more, and suddenly remembering an evening from a long time ago, he knew exactly what it was.

Sitting down on the porch bench, he said, “I remember a night just like this one when I was standing out here, just like you are.”

“Really?” Jules said, in her ‘bracing for another boring story of the old days’ voice.

“Yes,” Grandfather said, “I was just about your age too,” he added.

“Really?” she said, now with a little real interest.

“Yes, but, I was watching for someone.”

Jules’ cheeks turned a bit redder.”

"I was hoping a certain person would walk by, and perhaps we might start talking if I was standing out here by myself,” Grandfather said, pretending not to notice her cheeks.

“What happened next?”

“I’ll tell you the next time I see you, turn around,” he said, and he abruptly got up and went back into the house.

Confused now, Jules turned back around. And there, walking up the sidewalk, was Andrew.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253719-Andrew