*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254771-That-Night
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2254771
Flash fiction
That Night

“Where have you been? You were supposed to be here an hour ago!” Ted whispered.

“My car broke down. I had to walk the whole way. Don’t you ever answer your phone?” Jack snapped back.

“I had it on silent so nobody would know I was here!”

“Well then why didn’t you call me to find out where I was?”

“Because then I would be talking and she’d hear me! Did you bring it?”

“Of course! I wouldn’t have come if I didn’t have to bring it. My car is sitting on the side of Jody Road right now! I need to get back and call a tow truck.”

“Ok. Give it to me and you can go.”

“I’m not walking all the way back! You need to give me a ride.”

“How can I give you a ride and surprise Jane with this ring!”

“Well, after…”

“Right… Jane, will you marry me, but first I need to drive Jack someplace.”

“Fine! I’ll call my father. Just what I need, him ragging on me about what he calls my piece of junk car!”

“Ted and Jack! What are you two doing outside my house?” came a voice from the doorway.

“Jane! Ah, sorry we were just…” Ted started mumbling.

“I heard,” she said, “how about we give Jack a ride back to his car and then you and I can talk about that stuff alone. I think I heard there may be jewelry involved?”

The rest of the night went well for Ted and Jane. Also, for Jack because his father was so fed up with his car breaking down he helped him buy a new one.

Ted and Jane ended up divorcing after three years. Jack, on the other hand, kept the new car for thirty six years.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254771-That-Night