*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255140-Freshman-year-of-college-sucked
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #2255140
It was my first year of college and let's just say it did not go as planned.(not finished)
To start, you should know that covid was still really big and that I had surgery 2 weeks before my move-in date. Within those two weeks, I found out my roommate was going to a room with someone else and that I would not have a roommate, and because of covid, all but two of my classes were moved online, and lastly that my suitemate would also not have a roommate. At midnight the day that I was supposed to move into my dorm, I woke up coughing up blood. I had my tonsils removed at 18, and we all thought my throat was healed and I would be able to move in on time, but we were wrong. I was rush to the hospital and rushed into surgery. I think it took close to 3 hours for the whole thing. I was rolled into an observation room and was told that I had to stay for at least six hours to make sure everything was fixed. This meant that I would not be able to move in on time. My mom told me that I was so high on meds that when they asked me to stand up and lay in the bed, I would not get out of the wheelchair and told the nurses that they had to pay for the show because the gown is open in the back and my ass was out. She still tells this story to all her friends. The aftermath of the hospital stay was that I had to move in a day late and that I had to call/email my doctor once a week for a month to let him know that I hadn't died or started bleeding out again. Which was better than expected definitely thought I would have to move in much later. When I was finally able to move in, I learned that I was on the fourth floor, and we were not allowed to use the elevator to move in. Now I could hardly breathe, so I could not be going up and down those steps, multiple times carrying these heavy boxes may have over packed but that a whole different story, so my mom and sister were nice enough to help me carry one load up, which had the fan and a pillow and let me sleep when they moved the rest of my stuff in. Because of covid, we only had an hour to move in, and with the elevators, not an option, we were hustling to get all the stuff up the stairs and unpacked. My dad got a hotel nearby to make sure someone was close by in case something happened again, so he could take me to target to get the stuff we forgot to pack. A helpful hint for college is to bring an ice tray and water filter. The water at school is warm and nasty, and you will not want to drink it. Also, bring a fan, some rooms are not going to have AC and even if they do they hardly work. My dad stayed for about three days and wanted to stay longer because I still hadn't eaten much of anything. I had spoken to my suitemate maybe once or twice before moving in and she kinda knew what was going on but not really.
© Copyright 2021 bellabee (beebella34 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255140-Freshman-year-of-college-sucked