*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255832-Sacrifice
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shifty
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2255832
In which a man of many duties knows what must be done.
The stars really are beautiful.

An elven man, accompanied by a horned lady, sat together on rocky terrain, sitting back and letting their attention drift to the sky. They lounge there for quite some time, taking in their mystifying surroundings, before one- the elf- speaks. His voice is soft, gentle, retaining a wistful tone as words flow like a melody from his mouth.

"The stars are much more beautiful from here, aren't they?"

Hearing the man, whose coffee-brown hair was falling out of its braid and in front of his face, the woman turns her head to face him. A singular eye, dull and deep red, meets the elf's two glittering golden ones. The one-eyed woman would be almost scary if not for the soft smile upon her face, and the relaxed posture she kept up. She offers a nod, along with a statement of, " Yes, they are indeed."

The two sit there for a couple moments more, the girl's eyebrows stitched together in concentration. However, it didn't seem to be concentration on the stars, as proven when she opened her jaws to speak once more. "Gold?"

The elven man, now identified as Gold, breaks his gaze from the stars to look at the short woman. His eyebrows convey something of the likes to confusion, making a humming noise as if to acknowledge that he hears her. Catching onto this, the woman continues to speak. "I didn't suggest that we come here just to watch the stars, my friend," the woman's tone is something resembling a great worry, and she breaks eye contact with the man as she resumes. "I need you to take better care of yourself."

Gold's form stiffens, shimmering golden pools of eyes widening at such a request. He tries to hide the waves of shock- and fails miserably, for at least the few seconds where it counted. Words attempted to form from his surprise, but it came out an indecipherable, jumbled mess. That was, until he managed a: "Crimson, you're joking. Such hypocritical words wouldn't come out of your mouth."

The flustered assumption from Gold was quickly dismissed from the woman- Crimson - as she shot the Elf a deadpan glare. "I may be hypocritical, but I'm not joking. You need to take better care of yourself."

"What does it matter?"

Crimson offers a heavy sigh with her next statement, shuffling uncomfortably in her spot. "Remember last weekend, when we went to that live music bar?"

"Yes? What does that have to do with 'taking care of myself'?" Gold replies, a blend of annoyance and apprehension growing ever more present in his tone.

"Well, someone was hit in the head with a broken bottle after the ordeal got too rowdy, and guess who attempted to use healing magic to help them?"

"....I did."

"And what happened?"

"I used too much energy and passed out," Gold nearly growls, not enjoying the lecture he's been receiving from his friend.

"Exactly. Your health is suffering because you refuse to take care of yourself, Gold! It matters!" The horned female stresses, forcing her voice to almost a yell, when before it had been just quieter than the average person's speaking voice.

With his companion raising her voice like she did, Gold couldn't fight the instinct to flinch. He'd done it before- His brother yelled at him quite often for not being home much, or deliberately putting himself in harm's way. His brother scared him. Alas, the Elf managed to take a breath, calming himself, so he could at least try to respond nicely.

"Look. I've died in this hell-forsaken time loop more times than I care to recall, alright?" He exhales, slowly, and his friend offers a nod. She knew. She's known for a while now. "With that in mind, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any benefit for my people when I take care of myself, my time will go wholly towards finding the correct ending."

"But-" Crimson starts, before a red-gloved finger is quietly placed in front of her mouth as means to say that her friend isn't quite finished speaking.

"I know you care about me. But, from my viewpoint, the happiness, freedom, and safety of my people come first. They always come first." Another sigh from the Elf, and he continues. "Until they are safe, my health doesn't matter to me. I will suffer so they do not have to."

Finally, with a note of ending to his tone, Gold completes his statement.

"I will be their sacrifice if it means they are safe and free. I have been before, and I will be again."
----
Author's Note:

This work, and the work 'Spiraling' are of original characters of mine. The elf mentioned in the writings is from an alternate version of Undertale (Undertale created by Toby Fox) that is almost too far removed from the source material. Please do not use Gold or Crimson in a work without first contacting me. I'd greatly appreciate it.
© Copyright 2021 Shifty (shiftingfoxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255832-Sacrifice