*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257861-Not-This-Time
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2257861
Flash Fiction
Not This Time

“Dad?” Henry said, hesitantly, as his father looked into the mirror, shaving.

“Yeah?” Dad said back.

“I need to borrow some money.”

“Why?” Dad asked, automatically.

“I was saving up for something important, and it just went on sale, so if I could borrow some money now I could get the sale price and save ten percent.”

“That sounds like a good deal, what is it?”

“Well, I can’t tell you.”

“Why not?”

“I can’t tell you that either.”

“This sounds a little sketchy...”

“It isn’t, it just sounds that way. It’s just that you’re the only person I can borrow money from and you’re one of the two people I can’t tell what I’m spending the money on...”

Dad had a flash of insight. He and Mom’s anniversary was coming up, Henry must be planning a surprise gift but found he could save money with the sale. Suddenly he was so proud of his son, and himself! His lessons in finances had produced a thoughtful, and pennywise son! What a treasure!

“Ok!” he said, pretending sternness, “I will take your word for it. I’ll give you some future allowances, so you can take advantage of this sale. How many do you need?”

“Thanks Dad!” Henry said, quickly figuring out what he needed, and making the deal. Off he ran.


Later in his room, setting up the “Blaze Warriors from Dronazia” game on his computer, his sister came in.

“Where did you get that? Mom and Dad said they’d never buy you another computer game!”

“I bought it myself!! And I saved ten percent!”

“Good, I hope you get them something for their anniversary, it’s in three weeks you know. And they’re having that party!”

“I’ll just make them a card again. You know they always love my homemade cards!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257861-Not-This-Time