*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258233-The-Circle-Completes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2258233
Flash Fiction
The Circle Completes

We never though we’d be lucky enough to find a real cave, so even though it was getting late we decided to go in and see inside. Being late was the problem, we were not as careful as we should have been.

Just inside it was pretty light but then it quickly turned a sort of corner made of solid rock and got very dim. But we could still see light ahead, so we plunged forward, too quickly of course, falling down a deep ravine.

Jack landed first, smashing his face and knocking out a tooth. Then I landed, on top of him. We were in a large place, really dark and cold. As our eyes adjusted we could see a small pond surrounded by tall rocks. We spent hours trying to find a way to climb back up, but it was too steep.

The pond had some fish, but we couldn’t catch them, or find the way they got in and out, we figured it was probably some underground tunnel that we couldn’t get to. The water was salty, we couldn’t drink it. We didn’t last very long. Jack fell asleep the second day and never woke up again. I think he broke more than his tooth when he landed.

I lived for more days, I don’t know how many. I saw the moon reflected on the wall of the upper cave a couple nights, but I didn’t know what that meant.

Why are you telling me this?

Because this is the opening to that cave.

What should I do?

Get your father and get him to come with you. Tell him you found a cave, but it looks dangerous. He’ll know what to do.

Why? Why would he know?

Because long ago, Jack and I were his brothers.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258233-The-Circle-Completes