*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260274-By-the-Light
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2260274
a woman decides to go with the man she loves.

I came here every night. It was peaceful, quiet and the breeze had the slightest hint of saltwater. I didn't live far from the beach, and I was thankful it was empty tonight. It was a full moon and almost the last one of this cycle. I stripped down to my bikini and sat down on the warm sand. He would be here soon. I met a good guy about a month ago. We met here on the night of the full moon. Our dates consisted of a walk on the beach, lots of talking, and a candlelight picnic.

I didn't see anything unusual about this. I never saw when he arrived. He just appeared. Tonight was going to be an eye-opening experience. As nine o'clock rolled in, I saw a dark shape out on the waves. It was big enough to be a dolphin or even a seal. I watched as it got closer and closer, and then I saw it happen.

The moonlight shone down on his form. What a form he had. I saw everything, but I wasn't prepared for his legs not to be there. Instead of legs, he had fins—silver and blue fins that caught the moonlight. Again, my date was a merman. All this time, I was blown away.
He looked right at me and looked a little like a deer caught in the headlights.

"I know this is a shock, but I can explain if you will allow me to." Said Kai.

I waited for him to finish his transformation. Kai joined me at the water's edge. He took a seat right next to where I sat. Who would have thought the man that I had fallen for wasn't a man at all.

"Femi, this is what I am. I am a merman, and yes, we are real. I am also a prince. I was supposed to snatch a human to become a new mermaid. I didn't want to kidnap anyone. I only hid my true form because I thought you wouldn't be able to handle it." He explained.

I looked at him. I was going to yell at him, but I didn't have the heart to. Instead, I leaned towards him and placed my hand on his well-muscled chest.

"No one has ever treated me the way you have. While I should be mad at you for keeping this from me, I understand why you did it. I'm still a little freaked out, but I like you a lot Kai." Said Femi.

" I like you a lot too. I've never met anyone like you. The princesses my family tried to marry me off were all snobs. They only cared how much popularity they would have from being my intended. I want to take you with me, but I won't force you to do it. The transformation won't be easy. I do believe my parents will be just as taken with you as I am. I think I am falling in love, Femi." Said Kai as he looked down at me.

I was looking up at him. I sat up because I felt a kiss coming. I was right. Once I adjusted myself in his arms, he kissed me. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. His lips felt like silk against mine. I could have kissed him all night. I hadn't noticed, but while he kissed me, the waves came in and wrapped around us. Suddenly my legs felt extremely itchy, my skin got hot all over, and I found it harder to breathe. What was happening? Was Kai still there with me?

Just as I saw his eyes, the pain hit me. It was like nothing I had ever experienced. My bones were changing, realigning with what I was becoming. I thought of my parents and my friends. How would they react if they saw me? If they met Kai?
Just as fast as the world started spinning, everything stopped. When I opened my eyes, Kai was leaning over me, wiping my face. He helped me sit up to find we were in an underwater cavern. It was marvelous. The walls were pure white, and they shimmered like a pearl. The water was warm and felt so good against my skin. I felt different.

"Femi, you look terrific. I knew you would make a gorgeous mermaid. Come, let me help you to the mirror. "said Kai as he helped me off of the platform I was on.

When I saw my reflection in this mirror, I was blown away. My caramel skin glowed from the inside, almost like a shimmer. Where my breasts were, black and red scales now covered them partially. My waist was like it always was until my belly button. Then, it was gone, covered by more black and red scales. It looked like I was now part Koi fish, but a rare color pattern. I was having a hard time maneuvering with this tail. Kai held me up, but the water helped a lot too.

" have no fear, Femi. We will not visit my family until you better swim, but one of my relatives is on her way. She is our shaman. She will be helping you with your transformation also. She knows a lot about being a new creature because she was once like yourself, human. She will tell you more about this process when she gets here. For now, my love, I want to show you my culture, everything that I am, so you may have a clearer picture of what our life will be like." said Kai as he took my hand and placed his other arm around my waist.



© Copyright 2021 chcltroses (chcltroses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260274-By-the-Light