*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260282-Cookies-And-Neighbors
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2260282
Flash Fiction
Cookies and Neighbors

Four year old Thelma ran into the kitchen, “Mrs. Belson is mean!”

“Did you go into her garden again young lady?” her mother said sternly.

“I just wanted to smell the flowers!”

“Well, it’s Mrs. Belson’s garden so you need to follow her rules, and her rules are nobody goes in the garden unless she says you can.”

“What if she moves away?”

“Well, then it would be someone else’s garden and someone else’s rules. They might let you in or they might not. You’d have to see.”

Thinking on this, Thelma suddenly changed the subject. “I can do magic.”

“That’s wonderful!” Mom said, happy at the new subject, “What can you do?”

“Just stuff. Can I have some cookies?”

“All we have left in the cookie jar are a few raisin ones, is that OK?”

“Sure. Do you want me to make some more?”

“Oh, Honey, I don’t have time to make cookies with you this morning. I’m sorry. Maybe tomorrow?”

“I can make you some today if you want.”

“Oh, that’s sweet!” Mom said, thinking she was probably going to make paper cookies, or clay, “and you can put them right in the cookie jar!”

“OK!” off she ran with her cookies, and Mom got back to work.

A few minutes later, putting something away in the cupboard Mom saw the cookie jar. But now it was full to the brim with cookies. Real cookies.

Thelma walked into the kitchen, “Do you like the cookies? I made them with my magic.”

Mom just stood there, then she managed to say, “Have you done anything else, Honey?”

“Well,” Thelma smiled coyly, “I hope it’s OK, I did help Mrs. Belson move away...”

“Ah, where did she move to?” asked Mom, nervously.

“I’m not sure...” Thelma said casually, “somewhere away...”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260282-Cookies-And-Neighbors