*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260510-What-Were-The-Odds
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2260510
Life takes some unprecedented turns without any warning.
I woke this morning feeling rather good. I lay on my bunk and stared at the bulkhead to my left. It was almost silent but for the gentle hum of the engines several decks below. Today was my day in hydroponics. The concept of growing plants, fruit and vegetables without soil has enthralled me since childhood. The marvels of modern technology and concepts for the near future was almost overwhelming at times. Had we as a species really come this far? Or is it some strange, shared dream?

Cassandra worked with me in hydroponics. She had transferred from life support maintenance eleven months ago. She had been assigned to the station beside mine. God, she was beautiful. For the first few weeks, I had a hard time focusing on my job, until I finally plucked up the courage to speak to her. Well, I had spoken to her before, but, mostly a ‘hi’ here or a ‘cheerio’ there. When I finally grew a pair big enough to engage her in a meaningful conversation, everything changed.

It was like a door had suddenly opened in my life and I was granted access to an incredible place I never knew existed. Every morning I woke with the anticipation of seeing her again would be swelling in my chest like it would explode at any moment. Things that once had no order, suddenly found unprecedented coordination, all so that no time was wasted that could detract from the time I could spend with her.

The days began to fly past in a maddening flurry. Days, then weeks, now months have gone by. Today was going to be an incredible day. I had made up my mind last night. Today, after shift I would take her to the observation deck, get down on my knee, and ask her to be my wife. God, I hope she says yes. Why wouldn’t she though? The nerves were running amock. There was really nothing to be afraid of, but, I was terrified. Terrified and exhilarated all at once.

The room was doused in deep red light. The alarm claxon rang in my ears. All around me I heard the sound of panic coming from bunks in my dorm, and from adjacent dorms. I stuffed my hand under my pillow and wrapped my fingers around the ring that lay there, hidden and safe. I sat up on my bunk, immersed in the flashing red light, and dropped to the deck.

Outside the window, I saw it. Bright white, with an incredible whispy tail sweeping out behind it for hundreds of kilometres. Heading straight at us. I knew in an instant, there was no time at all for us to manoeuvre out of its path. The spectacular, ice beast of space would devour us all before I could get to the corridor and find Cassandra. In the vastness of space, what were the odds….
© Copyright 2021 Bradley G. Patterson (patterson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260510-What-Were-The-Odds