*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260638-Its-Cheaper-to-Keep-Her
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2260638
Sometimes divorce is the best option
Nick took a sip of his drink, then checked his watch. The time was 10:22 pm. The job he was paying 10 grand for should be finished by 11 pm. He gulped the remainder of his scotch and looked at the bartender and said "Hey Gus pour me another one." "Sure thing, Mr. Cologne" replied Gus.
Nick Cologne was a very wealthy real estate developer. He had purchased one rundown office building 10 years ago and managed to turned that one piece of shit building into a multi-million dollar real-estate company. He did it by cheating, intimidating , lying, and doing whatever was necessary until he now owned over two dozen properties all over the city. Some were in the most exclusive part of the city. Nick Cologne had also decided he needed to get rid of his wife. Not by divorce either. When they were married he was pretty much broke so there was no need for a pre-nuptial agreement. Now to divorce her, she was gonna take half. And if you knew Nick Cologne, you knew he wasn't sharing anything with anybody. Especially not with the two timing tramp he was married to. Not that he'd ever been faithful to her. He had been seeing other women while they were dating and it didn't stop when they got married. But, in his twisted mind that didn't matter. No one could cheat on him and get away with it. So through some of his criminal connections he had established with some of his shady real estate deals he decided to hire a hit man to take care of his problem. Shelia, his soon to be dead wife, went out with her girlfriends for dinner and drinks every Thursday night. Nick had given, Cole, the hired assassin, the restaurant's location and Shelia's route home. He had told Cole to make it look like a robbery gone bad.
At 10:55, a text popped up on Nick's phone. It simply said "done." Nick smiled, took out a $50 bill and laid it on the bar for his drinks and walked out of the establishment. He hummed along to the radio in his car all the way home. As he pulled into the driveway of the massive house, he opened the garage door to make sure Sheila's silver Land Rover wasn't parked there. The jag was there but the SUV wasn't. He thought now that she's gone, guess I'll get rid of that SUV and get me a new Lamborghini. Hell, maybe a new Porsche too. He was practically singing and dancing as he entered the mansion. Nick thought now I'll just go upstairs and wait for the visit from the police to tell me the bad news that my lovely wife had been murdered in an apparent robbery. When Nick walked into the bedroom, he looked up and his jaw dropped. There was Shelia, sitting with her legs crossed on the bed. She looked up and said, "Hey babe. Surprised to see me?" He was so stunned all he could do was sputter. Out of the corner of his eye he saw some movement. He turned quickly. It was Cole, the hit man. "What the hell is going on here? Nick snorted.
Shelia said, "Nick, you were right. I have been seeing someone else. I'd like to introduce you to the new love of my life. Detective Devin Lockhart, from the police department's Criminal Investigations Division."
Lockhart spoke, "Well, we've met, but he knows me as Cole".
About this time two uniformed police officers stepped into the room. Lockhart smiled and said "Nick Cologne, you're under arrest for Conspiracy to Commit Murder." A divorce would've been so much easier.
© Copyright 2021 Deacon Blues (stnlybass at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260638-Its-Cheaper-to-Keep-Her