*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263452-It-was-only-a-dream-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2263452
It was only a dream right ?
It was only a dream!

It’s almost Christmas time and I am dreaming of a white Christmas.I want snow you know not a small dusting ,I want wade in the water up to your knee’s kind of a snowfall.The kind of snow that shuts down schools and work just for a few days one of the days being Christmas.I am a person that grew up in Missouri and loved it ,every minute and moment of it.I am now a mom with four kids,a dog,cat and a bird and oh yeah a husband that was an army brat.He went on to become an Army captain whom later lost his leg and his mind in Dessert Storm.He has never been the same some days it’s so hard to cope.All I have some days is my Christmas dreams.

One night I had a dream so really that I work up wondering if it was only dream. I was so tired that night I had a fight with the dog about him tearing up my shoes,a fight with my 3 year old about his dirty room and a fight with my husband about him not bathing or shaving in almost two weeks.He was scared of drowning in the tube and slitting his own throat,he didn’t trust me to help him either because he thought I might hurt him as well.I took a shower ,got in my pj’s and climbed into bed and read Vogue until I must have drifted off.I awoke I think to a really chilly room.I got up out of bed to turn the heat up thinking my husband had turned off the heat again ,he says it reminds him of the hot humid weather where he was stationed and he can’t stand it.On the way to the thermostat I passed our bedroom window and saw there was so much snow at least up to my lower knee.Yes I got one of my Christmas wishes a least. I head out of the bedroom passing my husbands bed ,yes there are two beds in our bedroom now like we are on a 50’s sitcom,my husband can’t stand to be with me anymore but he’s scared to be alone.I tip toed pass because you don’t want to wake him he is worse than my 3 year old and he won’t be going back to sleep once he is up.I got into the hall safely turned left and about two feet from my older daughters room was the thermostat ,I turned it up just a little and crept back to bed. A little while later I heard a tapping on the door so I got up to go to the door.I put on my robe and started pass my husbands bed ,oh no he isn’t in it,wandering off I thought.I hurried downstairs dreading what was to come.I opened the door and there stood my husband with a Christmas tree smiling at me and he had both his legs.What the heck I hadn’t been smoking nothing? He brushed passed me with the Christmas tree in tow saying nothing but sitting straight to work sitting up and decorating the tree.I was in shock my husband doesn’t like the holidays anymore.Suddenly he swept we off my feet and took me to our bedroom ,tucked me into bed and went back out to finish decorating the tree and house.I lay there too scared to move ,however I could see him in the living room from our bedroom.Oh,well long as he wasn’t hurting anyone I would let him be.I didn’t get up to question him because here of late questions sent him into a rage anymore.In about one hour he came back in and climbed into bed with me.Hold up now I know I am dreaming,right?I don’t care I hope I never wake up not ever.Just as he got still and quite I did wake up however.I set up in a cold sweat,my husband must have knew I had a dream or nightmare because he said it was only a dream and for me to go back to sleep.

He was not going back to sleep most likely so that meant I could not,great I thought just great.The next thing that happened was unbelievable .He got up saying he was going to fix us all breakfast than get a tree and after that get a shower and shave.What was I dreaming again?I looked and saw two legs,I looked again.Before I could pass out from shock ,he explained that it was a fake leg that was a gift from his brother.He said his brother had sent it as a gift with a long letter about how my husband was his hero and how he wanted him to start living life again.He had agreed to try and so he’s brother had got him a bathe aid that happen to be a Vet.Sit up therapy secessions over the web which he apparently had been engaging in for weeks now.I was informed he had also started a new med around the same time and it was helping.This couldn’t be true right my fear was I would soon wake up to discover it was only a dream?

862 words



© Copyright 2021 Happy to write (ndbassett40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263452-It-was-only-a-dream-