*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263471-This-Never-Ending-Night
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Death · #2263471
Spectre pulls an all-nighter with a rebound
         Spectre sat in the man's Barcalounger as he waited. I can't be standing around all night, It's killing my feet. He checked his chronometer again and did the mental math, time zone and daylight savings, so yeah, 3:30 AM. He'd been here since 10 PM.

         Just then Jeremy's apparition reappeared. Before Spectre could greet him, Jeremy asked, "Are you here to help? I think I fell down and hurt myself."

"Yes I'm here to help but not in the way you think. Are you in pain right now?"

"I...I am. I mean, I was in terrible pain a moment ago. That's weird."

Yeah, that's what happens when your dead. All the pain goes away."

"Dead? I don't think, hey, I know you don't I?"

"Yeah we've met a few times already. I have a schedule to keep, so are you ready to take a stroll?"

"I'm not going anywhere, My grandkids have—" Jeremy began to protest."

Spectre, however, cut him off. "Jeremy, I know already. Kimberly, the little one has a dance recital and John has a football game tomorrow. It's not going to be possible. Have you seen your body laying over there at the foot of the stairs?"

"Who can see anything here in the dark?"

         Spectre was about to reply when Jeremy's apparition flickered and then disappeared. He thought, Damn modern medicine. Jeremy had been blinking out on him all night long. Despite having fallen down two flights of stairs, with multiple head contusions, compound fractures and physically bleeding out and internally, his implanted defibrillator kept pulling him back into the land of the living. It was so aggravating. Every time Jeremy passed and Spectre prepared to lead him on, Spectre had to endure the same questions as if he was speaking to an amnesiac.

         Spectre couldn't help himself but to think. I really miss the "Good ole' days" when the dead stayed dead. It was easier back then. Sure you'd get a tough one from time to time, but not like now days. Fucking Rebounds!

Then Spectre heard the crumpled mass over by the stairs groan and moan again. The moans went silent and Jeremy reappeared once again.

"Can you help me?", asked the apparition.

Patience, patience, thought Spectre. "Yes I'm here to help. I'm here to help you move along."

"But, I don't understand."

"Jeremy, you know your time is up. Let's face it, you're a lifelong smoker and drinker with high blood pressure and cholesterol. If truth be known, we met long ago back in 2005 during your quadruple bypass. Now we only have a short trip left to take."

Just then, Jeremy's figure fritzed and pixilated then came back into focus and then pixilated again before it solidified once more.

Finally, thought Spectre, The batteries are dead too.

Jeremy actually picked up the previous conversation this time around and said, "I think I get it. I guess I'm ready now, but I don't know where we're going. Shouldn't I be seeing lights and hearing music? Isn't that how its supposed to be."

"No, it's not like that always. Besides, it's still dark out. Don't worry Jeremy, I know the way. Just follow me...I got you. I have you now."
© Copyright 2021 Spectre Lives (glenncard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263471-This-Never-Ending-Night