*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264564-Indeed
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2264564
Flash Fiction
Indeed

“Something strange is going on here.” thought Emma.

She was lying in her crib. As she drifted out of sleep, into awake, she slowly began to notice noises. The wrong noises.

Usually when she woke up she heard the same sounds. First the TV. Daddy always turned it on when he got up. It was always people talking. She didn’t know what they were talking about, but she knew their voices and considered them friends. They comforted her, listening to them talk every morning while she lay there getting ready for her day.

Then there was Mommy and Daddy talking. She always had to wait for them. There were clinks and clunks, whirring noises going on, and then one of them would say something like, “Can I get a fill-up?” and the other would say, “Sure, hang on a sec.” She didn’t know what this meant, but to her, it meant Mommy and Daddy were there.

Today was too quiet. All she could hear were noises from outside her window. Noises she usually only heard when she took naps, like cars on the street and birds talking.

At first, she didn’t really think about it. But now, she felt uncomfortable. Why was it different? Where were her morning noises? Where was Mommy and Daddy? Suddenly she didn’t feel happy.

Just then she heard a noise outside her door. She jumped a bit, already feeling a little concerned. Then, as she looked over to the door she could see it opening just a little. Maybe it was Mommy!

But it wasn’t Mommy... it was Daddy! Daddy came in smiling! And then Mommy came in after him, carrying a cake with bright lights on top. And they both started singing! “Happy Birthday Emma!”

And a very happy birthday it was, indeed.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264564-Indeed