*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264858-Winter-on-the-Run
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2264858
A boy on the hunt
Henry knows he is safe here. Just another kid among other kids. Lots of moms here too. Some dads with a mom, but no just dads. Got to be aware of everybody, but especially the moms. Dads don’t give a fuck.

The kid in the maroon parka is the one to watch. He’s about Henry’s size and age. Look at him! Running everywhere, sliding down the slide, swinging on the swings, climbing all over the jungle gym, back to the swings; the kid never stops. He will get tired soon, but before that he’ll get hot, start to sweat, then he’ll take off the parka. Drop it on the grass, or, better yet, on the sand behind the swings. The kid’s mom is deep in her book. Lots of moms occasionally shout things like, “Be careful Tommy! And “Not too high, Elizabeth!” This one sits and reads.

Henry keeps his distance. If maroon parka is on the slide, Henry is on the jungle gym, the monkey bars, or some place else the kid isn’t. Henry never lets himself be alone. He knows he’ll stand out. He’s the one child on the playground not wearing a jacket. Not yet. Though there is a jacket laying out there, Henry didn’t see who left it there. If you don’t know who left it, you don’t know who’s watching it. And it’s yellow. No. He’ll wait. He is not going to go through another night like the last one. He woke up freezing and covered in frost this morning. He's going to get a maroon parka.

He could have avoided all this. He knows it. For one thing, he should have planned ahead. He should have brought warm clothes. You don’t just leave home without a plan! Henry knows that now. Some food would have been a pretty good idea too.

Enough, he tells himself now. It’s done.

He keeps moving around. A little running, a little climbing. Can’t stand around out here and shiver. If he looks cold, someone will notice him in his T-shirt. And it is cold. He can see his breath. He heard one of the moms telling her daughter, “We can’t stay long, it’s too darn frigid!”

Henry thinks about that word as he climbs the ladder on the slide. Frigid! What a word! Henry knows his mother is frigid. He knows this from listening to his dad screaming at her. Whatever frigid is, it is not a good thing to be. Gets you a beating.

Mittens would be nice. Gloves. Something for the hands. Everything you touch on a playground is cold. The thing is, a kid isn’t taking off his mittens. Not today. He might take them off just long enough to remove his parka, but he'd be sure to put them right back on again.

Henry reaches the top of the ladder and sits down to survey the scene below. Every kid out here has on some sort of mittens and wool hat. What is it with wool hats? Henry never had a wool hat in his life. The second he thinks this, he realizes his ears are about to freeze off! A wool hat would be another very good thing to have!

He spots the maroon parka. What the hell is the kid doing? He’s looking all around at his feet, searching for something. He looks over at his mom and screams in a loud, panicky voice, “Mother! Mother! I lost my eye!”

He lost his eye?

Henry is not the only one now staring. Every kid on the playground comes to a stop and looks his way. The mother is rushing to her son's aide. “Children! My son has lost his glass eye!” She seems more in a panic than her son. Everyone stands still with their mouth open. Now they’re looking around their feet like they're expecting to see a snake. Nobody seems overly anxious to actually find one.

The light turns green in Henry’s mind. He zips down the slide and makes his way without running over to the yellow jacket and is about to scoop it up and keep walking, but what does he find laying on the grass looking at him? He stops cold. He can’t believe his rotten luck. It would have been a perfect grab! Who the hell would see him at a time like this?

Henry picks up the yellow jacket. He feels in the pockets hoping for a wool hat, but oh, no. He’s not that kind of lucky. Well, you take what you get in this world and a girl’s yellow jacket is better than no jacket.

Still, he has to decide. It’s either give the kid back his goddamn eyeball and go home to a beating or take the jacket and sleep like a baby behind the post office…

He knows the answer. The girl’s yellow jacket will keep off the frost.

855 Words
© Copyright 2022 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264858-Winter-on-the-Run