*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265134-Park-Rangers
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2265134
Flash Fiction
Park Rangers

“Did you see where they went?” The park ranger, Randel, asked.

“They went that way.”

Frowning a bit, he asked, “Are you sure?”

“Yes!” Tommy answered, “I saw them with my own eyes!” Then, “What does that mean anyway?”

“That they went that way?”

“No, the part about your own eyes... how could you see them out of somebody else’s eyes?”

“It’s just an expression.”

“I thought expressions were like smiling or frowning.”

“Yes, it means that too, but this time it means saying something that people will understand, ah... even though it isn’t really what you mean.”

“But I did see them with my own eyes.”

“Yes, true. But it didn’t mean you had other eyes to look with, it just means... Ah... You know, I don’t know, it’s just something people say.”

“Like have a good day?”

“Huh?”

“People always say that like you can make your day be good even though sometimes you have to go to school with Tommy Grelder, and you know before you even get there that it’s not going to be a good day.

“He gives you a hard time?” Randel asked.

“He likes to make fun of me because I’m short.”

“How old are you?”

“I’m eight.”

“Oh well! I’m pretty tall you know, and I didn’t start getting tall until I was nine or ten!”

“Really?”

“Absolutely. And, I was taller than most of the kids in my class when I got to be fourteen!”

“Gee, thanks for telling me that. Why are you trying to catch the ducks?”

“Ducks?”

“The ducks that went that way.”

“I was asking about the other park rangers.”

“Oh... I didn’t see them. Well, bye!”

“Have fun growing tall!”

“I will! Thanks!”

And another child was saved from distress by a park ranger.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265134-Park-Rangers