*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265727-The-Crow
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2265727
Flash Fiction
The Crow

“A crow was sitting on the window sill as I walked in. Seeing him, I assumed he’d fly away as soon as he saw me, so I slowed down to get a better look.

However, keeping my eyes on him, I ran into the leg of the sofa with my bare foot. I screeched, grabbing my foot, and plunked down to wait for the pain to clear up. Once under control again, I looked back, he was still there! Now, I started worrying that he might be hurt or sick or something. I slowly walked across to check on him.

I could see that he was keeping an eye on me too, still, he didn’t fly away. Now close enough to see his whole body, I couldn’t see anything wrong. I wondered if he just couldn’t see me, perhaps the sun was reflecting on the window. Honestly, though, he seemed to be looking right at me.

On a whim, I decided to open the window. Being a slider I thought if I slid it slowly, maybe I wouldn’t scare him. Honestly, I had no plan beyond that.

It did work. Suddenly there I was staring the crow in the eye. Neither of us moved.

On another whim, I spoke, “You come here often?” I said, I think to cover my embarrassment at opening the window at all.

Then he said, “Just making a circle around the block. You gonna finish that sandwich?”

I turned, there was a half-eaten sandwich on the coffee table. “Ah, no...”

He swooped in and swooped back out with the sandwich! I didn’t believe it myself!”

“Right,” said my husband, John, “I don’t believe it either. Loved the story though. Now go make me another sandwich.”

Ah well, I tried. I hate working with food.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265727-The-Crow