*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265861-Matt-and-Bill-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #2265861
I've known these characters for years. Now and then they speak up in bursts like this.
“Don’t feel like it much matters no more.”
“Yeah? An’ how’s that?”
“Don’t know. Guess since pop died…”
“And the way he did, too…” Matt looked up from the nearly flat soda he’d been timidly nursing since he woke up. He used to run on caffeine. But lately something short circuited, and he’d become overly sensitive to stimulants in a way that felt more disconcerting than it probably should have.
“Yeah, real bad…” He echoed Bill’s sentiment. Across the room his friend was fumbling in the cupboard for a glass.
“Shit man, anyone live here anymore?” He said, holding a dusty glass up to the light.
“Jus’ give it a rinse,” said Matt.
“Need to give your head a rinse. The hell’s been goin’ on with you? Why ain’t you comin’ around anymore?”
“How’s Kate?” Matt replied, ignoring the comment.
Bill took a moment to respond, giving up on his drink and coming to sit down at the table across from Matt. “What’s up, man? I get what’s happened an’ all, but it ain’t like you to just disappear for so long.”
“I’ve been here the whole time.”
“Yeah, but you haven’t really. That’s my point.”
It was cool outside. Maybe too cool to keep the windows open but it didn’t seem to bother Matt none. The house he’d inherited was more than he needed. There were no more family gatherings or Sunday barbecues to be had. Now, it was empty and silent. Half of his small family had passed in the last couple years. First grandma, then his uncle, then grandpa, then dad. His stepmother had gotten remarried and moved away. His real mother was estranged.
Bill nervously tapped on the table. “We gotta do somethin’ with you man. I know you. You can’t just sit around here with all these ghosts, ain’t good for your head.”
“Ghosts?”
“You know what I mean. You gonna tell me you don’t see them still? This big ass empty house jus’ full of memories, and you alone with nothin’ better to do? Sittin’ here sulking all goddamn day?”
“I don’t just sulk, sometimes I get shitfaced too.” Bill glared at him from across the table. His concern giving way to frustration.
“Man, fuck you. What the fuck do you want? I take the day off, get someone to watch Caroline while Kate’s at work – for what?! So I can drive an hour out here for your fuckin’ pity party?”
“I ain’t looking for your pity Bill.”
“Yeah, no shit. You got that all covered, don’t you?”
Matt pushed himself back from the table but didn’t stand. He sighed, fidgeted with his soda can, and just stared past Bill out the back sliding glass door. It was fall: overcast and cool. A slight breeze shuffled dead leaves around the yard. Behind the yard, down by the river, the corn fields laid fallow. The trees along the river all bare or half bare.
© Copyright 2022 draper591 (draper591 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265861-Matt-and-Bill-1