*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266199-The-Master
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2266199
Flash Fiction
The Master

A clear glass bottle with a silver cap, and inside, a small dried up leaf. Sitting in the window of the second hand shop for years. People brought things in for many reasons. Andrew’s policy was never ask questions.

He couldn’t remember when it came in, yet he was ready to sell it for whatever he could get. This person seemed to want it badly, that meant more money.

“Yes,” he said, “a beautiful specimen of charm bottle.”

“A charm bottle?” the customer asked.

“Yes, that’s what the coven would call it.”

“Witches?” the customer said, wide eyed. “And what kind of leaf inside?”

“It doesn’t matter, it’s under a spell. A magic leaf.”

“What kind of magic?” the customer asked, quickly.

Gaging how much he could get away with, Andrew chose, “Black magic.”

The customer looked at him wide eyed! And then burst into laughter! “You’ll say anything to raise the price won’t you!”

Andrew stiffened, indignantly. “I beg your pardon!” he said.

“You may have it,” said Sid, pointing at the man, and turning him into a turnip.

“Not nice Sid,” the leaf said. Then “now, get me out of here.”

“Sure thing Boss!” he unscrewed the cap

Laughing again, he opened the bottle and the leaf glided out turning into a man.

“Fix him,” the man said.”

Sid pointed to the turnip and it turned back into Andrew.

“Can I help you?” Andrew said, not seeming to remember anything that happened.

“Just browsing,” Sid said, following his boss out of the shop.

“That was too long a vacation Sid,” his boss said, sternly, “next time, please use a cork so I can get out early if I choose!”

“Sure,” Sid said, chuckling. (He’d used the extra time for a lovely year at the beach, without his master...)
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266199-The-Master