*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266600-The-Last-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2266600
Flash Fiction
The Last Night

Jenna and her mother pulled up chairs next to her grandmother’s bed. Grandma was very ill, not expected to live the night.

Grandma opened her eyes, sadly looking right at Jenna, “Tell me the rest of the story.”

“What story?” asked Jenna.

“The story you always start telling me when I’m asleep.”

“Me?”

“Yes, don’t you remember?”

Jenna looked at her mother, who’s eyes were full of tears, “I’m sorry. Tell me how this happens.”

“Most nights after I go to sleep you come sit by my bed, just like now, and you start telling me this story.”

“I start?”

“Yes, but I always fall more asleep, and so I never hear the end. I was so excited you were coming now, because I can hear the end!”

“You have an amazing imagination.”

“No, it really happens...”

“Well, why don’t you tell me the part of the story I tell you.” Jenna said.

“OK. You and Grampie...”

“Grammie, you know Grampie died before I was born, right?”

“Yes. But you and Grampie take me to a place where there are trees that talk, and flowers that dance. And we are going to meet someone special, but I always start another dream before you tell me who."

Now crying outright, Jenna’s mother had to leave the room. Jenna quickly turned to her Grandmother, “We’re going to see Addie, she’s the queen of the Enchanted Forest. You can’t tell Mom, she isn’t ready, Grampa’s there, and I will be with you.”

“I’ll see Steven again?”

“He’s been waiting for you,” Jenna said.

Her mother came back in to room, “You got her to smile!” she said softly.

“She’s not afraid to go anymore,” Jenna said.

“I hope when it’s my time I’ll feel as happy.”

“You will Mom,” Jenna said, “I promise.”
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266600-The-Last-Night