*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266920-The-Great-Wall
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2266920
She discovers a wall of green glass


The Wall stretched from horizon to horizon and turning her head side-to-side she could see no break in it. Looking up it appeared to go beyond the clouds to forever and the surface looked very smooth, like that of the brittle black rocks produced by a volcano. The black rock that made good cutting tools and weapons. But it was green, the color of plants.

It had been here for a time because the plants and trees had grown flat against it for many seasonal cycles. The path ran along it 15 man lengths away. It was a well trodden path and after a tossed token showed the goddess she decided to try the right.

The first night she caught a hopper, a small fire cooked it and she slept without disturbance until the dawn woke her. A quick meal of cold hopper and a long drink from her water-skin and she was away. Several hours later she saw the first trampled path leading to the wall. Taking great care she approached The Wall and with a touch it’s texture was confirmed that of black rock.

Having passed four paths, on the 5th day of her journey she saw a creature appear from the 5th. It had four limbs and a head of clear, glassy material. Something appeared to be swimming in the head and her immediate response was loosing a shaft that struck the creatures body, prompting its rapid retreat to an opening in the wall that closed behind it.

Safely inside with the barrier back on he blurted, “CRAP! Steve! Help me get this suit off. One of them saw me and tried to kill me. Look at this arrow. If they’ve reached this stage of development, contact should happen soon. What’s our next step?”


© Copyright 2022 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266920-The-Great-Wall