*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267807-The-News
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2267807
Flash Fiction
The News

“Did you hear the news?” Sandy asked.

“No,” Ted replied.

“Well...”

“Ah is it good news or bad news?”

“Huh?”

“If it’s good news fine, if it’s bad news I don’t want to hear it.”

“You’re kidding.”

“No I’m serious.”

“But, what if it’s bad, but it affects you?”

“Then I’ll hear about it soon enough.”

“But not from me?”

“Unless it’s something I can fix. Is it something about me that I can fix?” Ted asked.

“I don’t think so,” Sandy said.

“So, it’s not about me.”

“No, it’s just not something you can fix...”

“What? Well what is it?”

“You told me not to tell you.”

“I changed my mind!”

“Too late,” Sandy said, walking away.

Ted just stood there, kicking himself, wondering how he was going to find out the bad news now. Why did he have to be such an itch. It was Sandy, he knew it. She just brought out the worst in him! The whole day was ruined. He never did figure out what it was she was talking about. Matter of fact they didn’t speak to one another again for seven years.

On Graduation Day, at their high school, they were required to stand next to one another.

After an awkward ten minutes, Ted finally broke down and said, “What was the bad news?”

To which Sandy instantly replied, “Candy Ellison had a crush on you.”

“What?!?” Ted practically yelled.

“Candy Ellison had a crush on you.”

“I don’t understand, why was that bad news?”

“Because at the time, I had a crush on you too...” Sandy said.

“Crap!” Ted said, “I had a crush on you too!” They both burst out laughing.

The good news was, they got married four years later.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267807-The-News