*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269713-The-Dog
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2269713
Flash Fiction
The Dog

Susan looked back, it was still there. She was walking home from the library, three blocks from her house. She often walked there because it was one of the first places her mother actually let her walk to, alone. So, she tended to go there many times a week, just because she could, and consequently always loved the library.

Now she was the owner of their house, her parents having moved to Florida, and still walking to the library. This time to take out fixer-upper books and gardening books. Having the house to herself was so exciting!

Today as she walked, she noticed a young dog that seemed to be following her. Most dogs around here were in yards or on leashes so she was surprised to see one alone, and a bit leery. They never had pets in her house growing up so she did not know exactly what to do when encountering a dog.

Finally, knowing she might be sorry, she might even get bitten, she couldn’t stand it anymore. She stopped and turned to face the dog. The dog stopped too.

“Why are you following me?” she said, for lack of being able to think what one should say to a dog.

The dog turned its head a bit, as if it was sizing her up. Then it walked right at her, and before she could even react, it licked her hand! Then it just stood there, staring at her with large light brown eyes. It seemed to be waiting.

Susan wasn’t sure what to do, but as she looked into the dogs eyes, something happened.

“I bet you’re hungry,” she said.

The dog’s eyes lit up and it wagged its tail!

They walked to her house together, and he stayed with her for eighteen more years.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269713-The-Dog