*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269946-But-Then-She-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2269946
Flash Fiction
But then She Smiled

“You’ll be sorry,” Jane said, watching her brother, Alex rummaging through her closet.

“Pffft,” he sniffed back. “I know you took it, I know you wanted it.”

“Why would you think I would want that stupid ring?”

“Well, you may not know this but our rooms have a very thin wall between them. When you’re yapping away to Tawney on your phone, I can hear every word. I heard you tell her about the ring, and you think it’s the one Greg Mansfield lost. And I also heard you say there would likely be a reward for whoever brings it back to him.”

“I was kidding.”

“Right,” he said tossing her shoes out.

“Be careful those are my best shoes! If you scuff them...”

“What? You’ll yell at me? I’ll tell Mom you swiped the ring I found!”

“You’ll be sorry!”

“Oh really? For what? Telling Mom on you, or having to apologize for scuffing your little shoe... or should I say giant shoe!”

“We’ll see! MOM!!!” she yelled.

Mom came to the door. “What?” then, “and what is your brother doing crawling around in your closet?”

“He thinks I stole the ring he found.”

“Oh really? Well maybe he should go look in his own room for it, you can’t even walk across the floor from the door to the bed!”

Alex looked up, “I know she took it!”

Mom ended the hunt with a stern “Get out.” Alex left. Then she turned to Jane and quietly added, “Give it back, he found it.”

“But!”

“No ‘buts’ about it. Do it now.”

Jane reached under her bedspread and pulled out the ring.

“Maybe Alex’ll let you drive him over to that Greg Mansfield’s house when he returns it. Thin walls...

Jane blushed bright red, but then she smiled.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269946-But-Then-She-Smiled