*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270148-A-reflection-on-the-miraculous
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #2270148
Adam Belter: What we wrongly believe about faith
The Mass went just like any other: readings, homily, the Eucharistic liturgy. But something strange happened to me while Fr. Fabio lifted the chalice up. Don't laught, it's a horrible thing to imagine: I imagined that a lightning bolt struck the cup. It was really dramatic.
Well, that wasn't strange, really, I always imagine weird stuff. I'm like that. But it wasn't to be funny. It happened because I wondered about the exact reason for doing that. It's a ritual, of course it has a reason, nobody does anything for no reason at all. Is it related to the act of transubstantiation? I mean, does the miracle happen when the chalice is raised? Why then? God's power, I think, would do the same thing whether it was lifted or not.
After telling myself off for that ridiculous imagining, I was still thinking about other miracles. People today complain a lot about their absence. Lots of miracles happen in the Bible, someone complained to me, why don't they happen anymore? Well, the Bible was written over several centuries, so there was a lot of time for miracles to happen, even though they make up the minority of what happens anyhow. Besides, these same people whine all the time about how little sense these happenings make. If spirits are immaterial, why did the Holy Spirit make so much noise when He came down on Pentecost? What do those sticks Jacob carved have to do with Laban's flocks' breeding? How do these things happen, if they break the laws of physics? All the same, if I remind them of what, I don't know, saint Maria Goretti's prayers have gotten for people, or the thing about that one martyr, I always forget his name, whose blood "thaws out" every year in Italy, they throw it out without anything in response. For them, it doesn't count, just like the stories about consecrated Hosts that do inexplicable things. They don't want anything but to see one themselves, as if God were at their service. I think that's the problem.
Of course, obviously, the thing about Jacob and those sheep had nothing at all to do with their selective breeding, except something symbolic, I guess. You know, the creator of the world is superior to it, He can do away with all the sometimes weird appearances and actions we read about in the Bible. So, why command those acts? Why give amazing signs to things that could be done without them? One year my wife bought me The Three Ages of the Interior Life, by Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange. I tell myself every year I'll finish it one day. It won't happen this year. I'm doing a lot. But I remember something he wrote. The saints of ages past are famous for their miracles, even though those aren't the most important thing. The interior graces we receive when we follow God and have a very close relationship with Him are the really miraculous thing. If we aren't getting those graces, the amazing things aren't worth the trouble. And that's one of the reasons for today's lack of miracles, that's my opinion.
© Copyright 2022 Adam Belter (calebneff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270148-A-reflection-on-the-miraculous