*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270216-Reapers-Nox-Chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #2270216
same as others
6


Ronie rested her head on Maddox’s shoulder as she cried. Her tears were a mixture of grief and relief. The longer they sat that way, the more she started to focus on him. The feeling of his warm breath on her neck; his hands making calming circles on her back; the surprising strength of his arms.
“I’m sorry for being so awful to you, Mads. You have always been supportive of me even when I made a fool of myself,” Ronie said, sniffling.
Maddox leaned back and lifted her face with his fingertips under her chin so that he could look into her eyes, “It’s okay. Given the situation you were in and knowing how little you knew, I wouldn’t expect any different reaction from anyone. Yes, I may have taken this position because of obligation, but the more I got to know you the more I truly felt you were a friend. I cherish our friendship.”
Ronie noticed that his brown eyes glimmered brightly. They seemed to absorb the light from the candles and reflect it back at her. She found that her breath had caught in her throat. She also noted that his eyes looked slightly larger than normal. It was subtle, but she found it to be attractive. Her eyes flickered over to his ears. They were elongated but not pointed.
“It’s because I started out as human,” he stated as if he had somehow read her mind.
Ronie’s brow furrowed in confusion. Maddox stared at her intently for a moment before he burst out laughing. His smile and laughter put her at ease. It was almost like before.
“My ears. They aren’t pointed because I started out as human. They won’t get any more pointed either. Just one of the many ways in which I will never fully be one of them. They love to remind me of it too,” he added.
She watched as he moved away from her, sliding off the bed. He looked nervous or anxious as he looked at something she couldn’t see.
“Maddox,” she called his name inquiringly.
“I’m going to have to leave you here with Magpie for a while,” he answered reluctantly.
Ronie lay the letter on the bed next to her and turned her whole body toward him. She perched on the edge of the bed, “Why?”
He turned back to her and smiled softly, “I need to gather some things for us.”
“Like what? I don’t need anything,” she protested.
With the same smile playing on his lips, he glanced down at her bare feet, “Well, for one, you need shoes. You can’t walk barefoot in the freezing cold and snow. Second, you need warmer clothes. And third, I need those things also.”
Her eyes narrowed, “But you said that you denounced the throne or whatever. Doesn’t that mean that you’re an enemy now or something?”
“She has you there,” Magpie chimed in.
Ronie watched as he shot Magpie a dirty look before turning back to her, “I did, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll run into trouble.”
“I don’t like it. I have a bad feeling about you leaving, Mads,” stated Ronie touching upon some inexplicable sense, “I can’t explain it, but it feels like the wrong thing to do.”
He chuckled softly and smiled widely, “Don’t worry. I’ll be careful. I know my way around these lands. Oberon himself knows I’ve wandered them enough to know them like the backs of my hands.”
As she looked at him, he started to put his shoes and socks back on. While he was doing that, he stated, “Magpie, I would like to borrow one of your coats and speak to you outside, if you will.”

****


Maddox gave one last look at Ronie before he closed the door behind himself and her. His heart ached more than it had in past years when he had left her. It had taken all his effort to keep his breathing even when he was as close to her as he had just been. He took a deep breath in and released it slowly, letting the cold air clear his head of thoughts of her he shouldn’t be having. Then, he turned toward Magpie, who was waiting for him to speak to her a short distance away.
“You already know what I’m going to ask you, don’t you,” he said as he looked at his old friend.
Magpie nodded her head and placed her hands on her hips as she turned in place. He could tell she wasn’t keen on the situation. “You’re going let that lassie think you won’t run into trouble? I don’ like it, Sire.”
Maddox clicked his tongue at Magpie and shook his head, “I’ve told you not to call me that anymore. Besides, she is going to think what she wants no matter what I tell her. She’s always been headstrong like that. In fact, if I know her, she will probably try to sneak off to follow me. More so now after all that she has been through.”
“But Sire…Morfin, if the Queen’s guard find you-,” Magpie trailed off. Even she didn’t want to think of the possibility. It was clear that she was lost in thought about all the things that could go wrong. He watched as she absently pushed a clump of hair behind her ear after a gust of winter wind caught her reddish-brown curls. After a few seconds, he started toward her, but she had turned herself and was walking away from him. He stopped and gazed at her in curiosity.
She had walked up to a rickety shed and pulled the door open. She reached inside and pulled out a bow and quiver stocked with bolts. She turned back toward him and held the items out to him, “Here. I want you to take these. Even if you don’t use them, I will have peace of mind knowing you can defend yourself.”
Maddox reached out and took them, slipping the quiver strap over his head and the bow over his shoulder. “What are you going to do for protection?”
“I have another inside,” she replied, “I hope I don’t need it, though.”
“Take care of her for me while I’m gone, Magpie,” Maddox said before he turned and started to walk away.
Maddox had walked a short distance before turning back to look at the hut. He noticed that Magpie was no where in sight. Taking a deep breath, he held the chilled air in his lungs for a few seconds then released it. The newly warmed air made a visible cloud before his face. He was loath to leave Ronie like that, but he really wasn’t left with any choice. After a moment more, he turned away and once again started on his way. Hours into his trek, there was only the sound of his feet crunching in the fresh snow and his shallow breathing. His instincts picked up on something he couldn’t quite place his finger on. Slowly, he slid the bow from his shoulder. Taking hold of the bow’s grip with one hand, he reached over his shoulder and pulled an arrow from the quiver. He nocked the arrow and waited for his pursuer to make a move. He willed his heart to slow down as he stood motionless, waiting.
A few seconds passed as he waited. It was becoming clear that he was going to have to make the first move. Maintaining the nocked arrow, he inched a foot forward. He moved his other foot forward just as slowly. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end telling him that the pursuer was preparing to make their move. One more slow planned move of the foot brought out his stalker. He dived into the snow turning and loosing the arrow as he did. All he managed to see was a flash of bright red in the expanse of white. As soon as he hit the ground, he tucked the bow close to his body and pushed himself up. He took in his surroundings attempting to locate the attacker. A loud, terrifying bark sounded. He quickly gauged whether the bark was far enough away for him to make a move. He wouldn’t be able to nock another arrow, but he would be able to face his attacker. He could feel the fear rising in the back of his mind. The next bark would bring about a physical reaction from his body. If he was going to make a move, he needed to do it now. He rolled forward and flipped around to face the source of the bark. When he looked up, he was face to face with a wolf like creature. The creature before him was the size of a small cow and solid white save for one red ear. One fire red and one black eye looked back at him. Maddox planted his feet in the ground in preparation for the next bark. The cu sidhe were an integral part of his maam’s army. The sheer terror they invoke always pleased her.
“Morfin, my lord,” said the cu sidhe.
Maddox relaxed his body slightly, confusion written on his face. “Aodh,” he asked cautiously.
The beast lowered its head and its front half in a bow of sorts. “You’ve finally returned, my lord. I knew you would come back,” Aodh said, his voice deep and gravely.
Maddox’s shoulders slumped and he heaved a heavy sigh as he looked at his old bodyguard. “I’m not back for the reason you think, Aodh. I came back with an Angel on my heels and needed a place to hide. I am only passing through to get to the Shadow Court.”
“You are going in the wrong direction, then, my lord.”
“I’m not your lord anymore, Aodh, and I know I am going the wrong way. I have need of some items before I head to the doorway. What are you doing out here anyway? Why aren’t you on the palace grounds?”
The cu sidhe scowled, “The Queen assigned me to these wastelands ever since you disappeared from the Faelands to the Mortal realm. Her reasoning was to teach me where my loyalty should lie.”
Maddox sighed and nodded slowly as he recalled Magpie’s response to seeing him again after all the years. “I’m sorry that you all had to pay for my decision to denounce the throne.”
“My lord, you would not be you if you hadn’t. It is one of the things cherished about you. Sadly, there are rumors that some who were once loyal to you turned spy. Those who lost more than they believed you to be worth losing it over. Especially, all of these years.”
Maddox tensed up suddenly worrying about whether his old friend was speaking of himself or not, “Like who?”
The cu sidhe looked up to the sky as it seemed to be trying to recall something from long ago. After a few seconds of silence, he spoke, “No names were given, but I believe it was a glaistig and a gean cánach. Please avoid those Fae you knew, my lord.”
Maddox felt winded like he had been punched in the chest as his thoughts turned to Ronie who had left with Magpie. “How certain are you of this, Aodh?”
“Have you forgotten the strength of my memory, my lord,” he asked as he looked down at his former master.
Now Maddox felt like he had a stone in his stomach. Without another word, he turned and ran back in the direction of Magpie’s hut. Thunderous footsteps followed behind and caught up to him easily.
“My lord,” questioned the cu sidhe.
Between heavy pants, Maddox informed him, “I left my charge with Magpie, Aodh.”
Aodh edged closer to Maddox as he trotted, bumping into him slightly. “Get on my back, my lord. I’ll get us there faster.”
Maddox gave the cu sidhe a thoughtful look, then, he hopped on behind the shoulders and took hold of his long white fur. As he dug his heels into the sidhe’s ribs, it picked up speed. It wasn’t long before the hut loomed up in his sights. He exhaled loudly, some of his tension released. That was when he realized that he had been holding his breath. The sidhe slid to a stop and Maddox hopped off, the snow crunching beneath his feet. His eyes locked onto the door which stood open. The snowstorm that had come through made walking in the snow difficult. He nearly fell flat on his face as he tried to run toward the gapping door. It took a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the dim lighting, but even so he could still tell that the hut was empty. The wind that entered through the threatened to put out the few flickering candles that still burned. He stepped out of the doorway and looked around outside. The snow was blinding after the dimness of the hut interior. He squinted momentarily as he looked toward the barn where Magpie’s cattle were kept. He sniffed the air. Now, he could smell fresh blood on the air. His heart hammering in his chest, he dashed to the barn. The cattle lie dead in their stalls, blood painting the snow with its crimson hue. He could faintly see the heat leaving their bodies. They were only slaughtered recently. He didn’t know whether it was the sight of the slaughtered cattle or hopelessness that overcame him, but his knees buckled beneath him. As he sat in the freezing cold, he was dimly aware of the warm tears streaming down his face. He balled up his fist and pounded on the wood of the barn stall, letting out an agonized howl of frustration. He heard the thunderous steps of Aodh approach, but the cu sidhe remained silent as he waited patiently for his lord.
“Tell me, Aodh. Would you betray me too,” Maddox asked softly sounding forlorn.
“At first, I didn’t understand why you had fled, my lord. In the beginning, I might have. I have since come to understand your reasons. My lord, I am still loyal to you. How would you have me prove my fealty,” answered Aodh.
Maddox sat in silence as he turned over the sidhe’s words. “How indeed,” he muttered under his breath. A few more seconds passed before he pulled himself together enough to climb to his feet. Turning toward the entrance he exited the barn and stood before the massive wolf. Their eyes met and Maddox searched his energy. “A blood pact,” he finally answered boldly, “Make a blood pact with me.”
The cu sidhe stood there unmoving as though mulling over the request. “This will prove my fealty to you, my lord?”
“Yes. Betrayal will result in death for the betrayer,” he responded as he looked around for something to use to break his flesh.
Aodh sat down and lifted a paw, offering his razor-sharp claws. Maddox looked at the paw, then, swiped his palm against a claw. Blood sprung up and Maddox looked up into the sidhe’s eyes. He reared up on his hind legs and pricked the center pad of his paw, then, he fell back down on the uninjured leg. They pressed their bloodied appendages together and Maddox started to recite the vow binding them together.
“Leis an fhuil seo, mionnaímid ár ndílseacht dá chéile. Más rud é gur chóir ceann a thréigean an ceann eile, d'fhéadfadh an feall ag fulaingt cinniúint níos measa ná bás,” Maddox spoke as he kept eye contact with Aodh who spoke the same words after he had.
As they spoke the spell, snow began to swirl around them, slowly picking up speed until the last words were uttered. Then, the whipped-up snow stopped and hung in the air. For a fraction of a second, time stood still around them before the snow fell back to the ground as it had the first time. The air around them hummed with energy and they felt a searing pain as a Celtic Sailor’s Knots surfaced on Maddox’s skin around his wrist. Once the ritual was complete, the newly surfaced marking slowly faded.
“No one will know we have made this pact unless they use a spell to reveal the bind,” stated Maddox as he rubbed his wrist gently. He looked at his palm where he had pricked himself and found that the wound had healed.
Aodh bowed his head and looked at his master. “Yes, my lord. What are we to do now?”
Maddox sighed deeply and looked up to the grey sky. He was hoping he could avoid going back to the palace. “I have to retrieve my charge from my former home, Aodh.”
“When are we leaving, my lord?”
“I’m not asking you to accompany me, Aodh.”
“You don’t have to, my lord. I’m your servant. I go where you go.”
“Fine. Let me check something before we leave.,” Maddox agreed, then, he made his way back to the hut. He stepped inside and looked around hoping that they hadn’t taken the backpack with them, but it was no where to be seen. He tossed the furs back on the bed and only found the feather and letter. Cursing under his breath, he snatched up the two items and hurried out the door.
© Copyright 2022 Reaper's Nox (reapersnox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270216-Reapers-Nox-Chapter-6