*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270264-Next
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2270264
Flash Fiction
Next

“Next!” called the man at the door. Then, “You,” The couple standing next to me started walking toward him.

“Excuse me, excuse me,” I called, “You’re after me.”
I didn’t want to be pushy, but I had been standing in line much longer than they had. They looked at me like I was a seventy-five-year old looney, who was just being a pain in the neck. Of course I am seventy-five, but I’m not looney, and I didn’t care if I was being a pain in their necks! It was my turn!

They obviously didn’t want to actually lie, however they put on a great show making it seem as if I was nuts, and they were taking pity on me. They had started walking as I started speaking. So, now they stopped in their tracks, and looked at me with concerned faces, as if I had just fallen over the bridge!

The man at the door jumped to an apology. “I’m so sorry! I thought the three of you were together.” Plausible excuse...

The couple looked at me, and I swear they were sizing me up as a relative, and I was apparently not looking good...

The woman laughed, one of those fake, ‘Oh let’s pretend this is funny,’ laughs. “Oh dear,” she said, we didn’t see you there! Go ahead!” As if they suddenly understood that I was not a lamp or a painting on the wall, but an actual human.

“Thank you,” I said in my kindest voice, on purpose, though I was certainly not feeling kindly at all.

The man at the door, opened it wider for me. He seemed flushed. I glanced back at the couple, they were looking at me with daggers.

I smiled, and waved at them! It made my day.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270264-Next