*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270707-Wanyas-Day
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2270707
A forest elf in the city.


......................


Wanya squinted and shaded her eyes with her right hand. She started to find her way, maneuvering through bright, noisy streets. Citizens of all kinds were already bustling around in the morning sunshine. Humans, elves, orcoids, and lizardéens all milled past in a hurry. Few, if any, looked up to take note of the stranger in the morning rush.

Underneath the brim of her hat, beads of perspiration were trickling down Wanya's brow. She stopped for a moment to wipe her brow and readjust her clothes. Somehow, every well-worn, linen garment seemed to cling in uncomfortable ways that they never did in the forest. Taking her wide-brimmed hat off gave her an excellent opportunity to fan herself for some brief relief. She closed her eyes, tired as they were from the lights of the city. The shade of the forest was nowhere to be found in these wide, open streets, with shiny windows and glittering contraptions all around.

That's the way she was standing still—eyes shut against the sun, nose tilted up to hopefully sniff for fresh air, and big hat waving back and forth in her hand—when a orcoid crashed right into her. The looming figure scowled at her, hot air huffing out of his nose, as Wanya wobbled on her feet. Blinking furiously to regain her senses, she looked up into the snarling face in front of her. Onlookers had stopped in their tracks to behold the scene, a sea of eyes staring at the pair. In typical orcoid fashion, the thuggish creature gnashed his teeth and squared his shoulders at Wanya.


The subtle woosh of exhaled air from multiple mouths revealed the shock that went through the crowd as Wanya broke into a grin. Not budging from her spot, but rather leaning closer to the grimacing form, she looked the creature dead in the eye as she stuck her free hand into one of her spacious pockets.

Out came an object glinting spectacularly in the light, now resting on Wanya's open palm for everyone to see. Glittering like a diamond come alive, the object was the new center of attention on the crowded street. Even the orcoid was staring at it with wide eyes, seemingly forgetting to appear intimidating at all.

With a smirk, Wanya blew out a breath of air, and there was a blinding flash of of light. Everyone surrounding her shielded their eyes abruptly, before blinkingly looking back at the elf. She was now openly laughing, still holding her palm out. In it, the object had turned into an undulating red mass, seeming almost like a living thing in her hand. In front of her, though, the orcoid had vanished. Only a fine red mist seemed to still be dissipating in the place where he had stood. Many of the onlookers touched their various amulets and lucky charms. No one dared to move until Wanya walked away, calmy chuckling to herself as she sauntered down the street.

......................









Notes
© Copyright 2022 PiriPica (pernille at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270707-Wanyas-Day