*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270737-The-Wake-Chapter-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jaz
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #2270737
Chapter two of a dystopian story

Back at camp the soldiers were done with their break and were back to their evening tasks. The sun was now behind the mountains and the air was crisp. Liam parted with me without a word. He joined the other Members in their quarters. I’m sure the cabin he brought me to was his to go to when his shift was over. If only the soldiers had some place to go on their breaks. I wished I could go back home to the bunker and see my brother but I was only 19. I had to stay in the wake until I was at least 25 then it became optional. Of course right around the time I can leave the wake, Collin will be forced to join. Maybe things will be different then. Maybe someone will be brave enough to overthrow the Members.
Three bells echoed loudly in my ear. I’d only been here one day but I knew what those bells meant. I walked swiftly to my cabin. Cabin doesn’t seem like an appropriate name for it but that’s what we were told to call it. I’d say it more closely resembles a shack. My cabin was marked mine by the numbers in the top left that read: 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. Seven of us shared this cabin. There was barely room for three people. Three bunk beds were shoved in the tiny space and two air mattresses were blown up every night for the two unlucky ones who drew the short straws that week. That was the only thing we could agree would be fair as a deciding factor. The bright side was that I shared a cabin with Jackson, I got lucky with that one. I remembered three people’s names in my cabin, not including Jackson. There was Noah and Jessica who were sleeping on the air mattresses this week and Joe who was lucky enough to get a bed. I didn’t know any of my roommates well and I couldn’t remember which number belonged to which person so I tried not to speak to them outside of our cabin.
I was the last person to enter the cabin. The only bunk left was the one above Jackson which I was grateful for. I’m sure he saved it for me. Everyone had witnessed Liam taking me away earlier today so no one met my glance when I climbed into my bed, I’m sure they assumed the worst happened. Only Jackson acknowledged my existence with a hesitant smile. I smiled back trying to reassure him that nothing happened. He climbed up onto the top bunk, scooting me over so he could squeeze in.We layed like this in silence for several minutes. He took a breath as if looking for courage and finally broke the silence. “Jaycie, tell me what happened.” he spoke softly so the others couldn’t hear him but there was a harshness to his voice. “Nothing happened.” I replied simply. He squeezed me tighter. “Please. You have to---.” He stopped himself swiftly. He knew my reply to that would be that I don’t have to do anything. Stubbornness was one of my many faults. “You can tell me, really. I won’t judge.” I chuckled and he looked at me like I was straight out of the asylum. “Jackson, I promise I’m telling you the truth. Nothing happened. We went to this weird cabin about a mile into the forest and we ate sandwiches and walked back. We barely even spoke, it was bizarre.” I felt him ease slightly and relax his arm that was around me. “ One thing he said was weird thought.” I continued on, “he said something about getting in trouble if something happened to me.”
“Yeah” he agreed. “I’m sure the other Members wouldn’t be very happy with him if they had to recruit another new soldier mid-season.” I shrugged lightly “It seemed like he meant something else though. Like maybe there was someone giving him orders, like someone who isn’t a member.” He laughed now, fiercely. I couldn’t help but feel offended. I’ve been laughed at all day for reasons I didn’t even understand. “What?” I asked sharply. “You know the Members are the highest ranking in the government. There are the commoners, the soldiers, then the Members. You learned that in primary school. It’s absurd to think there is some secret part of the hierarchy above the Members.”
“Right.” I admitted defeat, “You’re right. It was dumb.” I wiggled out of Jackson’s arms and climbed down my bunk to get ready for bed. “Jace. C’mon, don’t be mad. I’m sorry It’s a good theory, really.” I hated when he pitied me.
“I’m just brushing my teeth, relax. I’m all good here.” I tried to sound convincing but knowing Jackson he saw right through me.
I looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror and I didn’t recognize the girl staring back at me. She was pale and wore a worried face which she had always had. The difference was her eyes. She didn’t look scared or concerned or even happy for that matter. Her emotion was usually shown through her eyes and now looking into them deeply there was nothing. She had given up. I was done. I brushed my teeth slowly avoiding going back to my bunk. I tried to remember the first time Jackson and I had met but it came up blank. We had known each other our whole lives. It’s difficult not to know everyone in your age group in the bunker. Every three years all the children that were anywhere from four years old to six years were put into the program together. The program included primary and secondary school as well as a boot camp for those who would be put into the Wake. This included everyone except siblings in the same age group, only the eldest one would go in that case. The Members tried to make it so each family had at least one child in the bunker at all times to take care of them. It worked out most of the time except in my case when my little brother was left in the bunker by himself. I made my mom’s sister promise me she would look out for him. It still worried me though. In all of my childhood memories Jackson was there. He played with me during my childhood and helped me take care of my brother when my parents were killed. I’m not sure at what age our relationship became more than friendship but sometime between primary school and now we started dating. I’m not sure if dating is the right term though, it wasn’t even an official thing. We were friends and now we’re more. It just happened.
When I couldn’t prevent the inevitable any longer I left the bathroom and returned to my bunk. Jackson was back on the bottom. He knew I needed space tonight. Being in the Wake was no small adjustment. My watch read 6:50 which meant any second a Member would come by and do room checks. They said they were for safety from the beasts but Jackson told me they do it to show their power. He doesn’t believe that the beats exist, he says that it doesn’t make sense that they would only come around at night. I believe they are real though. My Dad told me stories of the beasts from when he was in the Wake and I choose to believe him. Jackson can let pride get in the way of his judgment sometimes.
Just as predicted a Member knocked on the door. Liam entered. Of course it had to be Liam, ugh. I felt the bunk shake slightly and I could only assume it was Jackson going rigid. He didn’t believe me when I told him nothing happened. Liam came inside, careful not to look in my direction. I wasn’t sure why he was being weird when really nothing at all happened. He began pulling down the metal sheets over the windows and locking them. He was locking us in but also locking the beasts out. They couldn’t afford to lose soldiers. As Liam walked towards the window near my bunk Jackson stood up and held my hand protectively. This bothered me. I didn’t like feeling owned. Like property. I didn’t belong to Jackson, we were simply together, but I don’t think he felt the same way. Liam finally reached the window sitting merely inches away from me. He closed down the metal curtain and fumbled with the lock before clicking it into place. He glanced at me briefly, “Thirteen” he said in a low voice, tilting his head down towards me. “Liam.” I replied. Jackson tightened his hand around mine in response. “Goodnight Jayce. Love you” Jackson said but not to me while getting back in bed. Liam looked once more back at us, opened his mouth to speak, then turned and walked out into the dusk. I heard the metal door shutting and the lock clicking into place harshly. I’d never seen Jackson like that before and I didn’t like it.
I slept better than I had expected. I only woke up twice and I was very briefly awake. It was probably going to bed not starving that did the trick, I should try that more often. The three bells that I was growing familiar with went off as soon as the run rose. A Member, not Liam this time, came in and unlocked our door and windows so we could go outside. We weren’t required to be outside for two more hours but most of the soldiers preferred to go out early to get their tasks done before it got too late. I decided to go out early too. Yesterday a Member told me all of my tasks that I needed to complete daily so I knew what I was doing. I had easy, beginner tasks like cleaning the cabins every few days and tending to the garden. Some of the other soldiers were in charge of more important tasks. They would bring food and other supplies to the bunkers for the commoners or try to find the beast that attacked at night. The Wake’s goal was to restore Earth above ground enough to allow everyone to come up. The Members here with us were here by choice instead of the bunker. They chose to oversee us and make sure we can get things rolling. The Wake has only been a thing for maybe thirty years. Most of the soldiers in the Wake have gotten radiation poisoning or cancer from the remaining nuclear waste. It’s been over two centuries since the war but a lot of damage had occurred. A lot has improved since, according to what my Dad told me from his days in the wake. I just hoped I wouldn’t get cancer from this, less and less had been reported through the years so I was hopeful. My Mother didn’t have to join the Wake because her brother was only a year older than her so she didn’t meet the criteria. Lucky bastard.
Since I wasn’t training and I wasn’t being hazed I didn’t have to carry the pointless gun around anymore. I walked outside, feeling the most sore I had ever been, and took another look at my new home for the next six years. It made me want to cry thinking about how old Collin would be the next time I saw him.I would have to try and get a job bringing supplies to the bunker and slip in to visit him.
Liam and another member whose name I’m pretty sure might be Christine approached me and interrupted my tidal wave of thoughts and emotions. It was a relief. “Thirteen '' Christine greeted me with a warm smile, I was surprised. “Member…uh” I responded, scared of getting her name wrong. “Christine '' Liam answered for her, a little too eagerly. “Yes, sorry Member Christine. It won’t happen again.” “It’s quite alright thirteen.” My face was burning with embarrassment. “We have a new task for you today if you’re up for it?” Liam asked politely. “Umm sure. I think I’m supposed to be cleaning cabins today but I can be quick.” Christine giggled. “I’ll take care of it. This one will take most of your day, Liam will be the one training you.” “Okay.” I replied unwillingly. I didn’t want to spend the day with stupid Liam. He made me nervous and it would only make Jackson be weird again. “Umm have either of you seen Jack- umm I mean nine anywhere this morning?” I remembered that I hadn’t seen him since I woke up. It made me feel guilty for not realizing that sooner. Liam was quick to respond, “ I suppose he’s in the dining hall for breakfast, as are most of the soldiers. May I suggest you join him? It’s going to be a long day.” His eyes met mine in an almost pleading manner. “You’re right. I better go find him. Should I meet you somewhere after, or, um-” “I’ll find you when I need you.” He replied cooley. I awkwardly backed away and walked in the direction I thought the dining hall was. Every building looked the exact same so I wasn’t sure I was walking in the right direction. I felt Liam and Christine’s eyes bearing into my back and I fought with every cell in my body to not turn around.
A flood of relief hit me when I saw a small sign on a cabin that said Dining Hall in blue letters. Not sure “hall” is really appropriate for this but like everything else outside of the bunker, it was small and rickety.” I walked in and scanned the room for Jackson. Our eyes met and he smiled. I was lucky to have him here. I smiled back and walked swiftly over to him and sat beside him. He was talking to two other guys who I had never seen before. They must have been in an older age group. Jackson had been in the Wake for a year longer than me so he had made some friends. “Jayce, this is Frank and Bobby.” I smiled politely. “She’s a keeper, huh Jack.” The one Jackson had said to be Frank said without a hesitation. “Uh” I chuckled awkwardly “Thanks.” All three guys laughed. “Let me get you something to eat Jayce. I’ll be right back.” Before I could tell him no he was off fetching whatever it is everyone is expected to eat here. “It’s nice to meet you guys. How long have you been in the Wake?” I asked hoping they wouldn’t think I was prying. “Well princess-” Frank began to say“Jayce.” I corrected. “Uh-right, well Jayce, I’ve been in almost three years and Bobby here has been in four.” I was surprised by that answer. Bobby looked the same age if not younger than Frank. “Wow. Well you’re almost done then.” “Well I don’t know about that.” Bobby spoke for the first time, “Feels like forever.” I understood the depth of his words. “I feel that.” I replied just above a whisper. “You’ll get used to it, don’t worry.” Bobby seemed wise. When he spoke I felt the urge to listen with everything in me. He made me feel safe and like I was going to be okay. Jackson came back with half a plain bagel with a thick layer of cream cheese spread across the top and a glass of orange juice. I drank the juice and it reminded me how thirsty I actually was. I stared at my bagel like it was my enemy. Craving it more than anything but being physically unable to pick it up and put it in my body. My body reacted to food in the same way it would to poison, not allowing it in and once it got there it was fought until it would come back out. “We better get going Jack.” Frank said, getting up and stretching his back. “I’ll meet you.” He glanced at me as if telling the guys he needed to stay for me. The guys clomped out of the dinning hall tossing their plates into bussing bins. “Please eat. For me?” He didn’t understand the daily battle I went through to give my body enough nutrients to survive. I fought every single day and he thinks “for me” is going to do the trick. “I will, I promise. You should get going though.” He left silently kissing me on the forehead once. I took a bite. My body began to fight off the foriegn visitor. Saliva filled my mouth like venom and I felt the bagel begin to resurface. I threw the rest of my untouched bagel back down onto the plate and chugged the rest of my orange juice. I threw the rest of my food away. I tried, and Jackson didn’t need to know. I placed my dishes into the bucket. “Ready thirteen?” Liam. I guess it was ready for my mystery task. “Yep.” I followed behind him quickly.
I walked beside Liam on a trail going into the forest. The opposite way we had gone yesterday. He explained to me that over the years several other groups of people had been discovered. He didn’t say how but I assumed they were found dead, because of beasts. He said we needed to map out the forest, or at least the parts that hadn’t been mapped before. I didn’t ask what we would do if we encountered other people. I was scared of the answer. This time we walked without the uneasy silence we had become familiar with. He asked me every question imaginable but I didn’t mind for some reason. He was easy to talk to. “ How’d you sleep?” He asked, looking straight ahead.
“Fine.” His silence encouraged me to continue speaking, “ better than I thought I would actually.” He smiled, pleased that I gave him more than a one word answer. “How was the food in the dining hall?”
“Good. I had a bagel.” I sounded enthusiastic. “Hmm” he muttered
“What now?” I asked sarcastically
“You didn’t eat, did you?” I felt him staring at me but I remained focused on what was in front of me.
“Of course I did. I ate a bagel.”
“Mhmm” he repeated. He knew I was lying but he didn’t press any further.
“So…Jayce, huh?” I looked at him stunned. I didn’t know he could call me that. “Kind of a boys name, isn’t it?”
“Hey!” I shoved him lightly. I pulled my arm back quickly after registering what I had just done. “Sorry.” I whispered with embarrassment. He ignored it. “We’re not told your real names when you get here. Only your number. I guess it’s to prevent us from connecting with soldiers. It used to be that more than half of the soldiers would die in Wake so it was easier to not form attachments.” I remained silent. Hoping he would continue on. “ Doesn’t make much sense now, most soldiers live long lives after Wake. Maybe the commoners could come up in the next few years.” He sounded hopeful. Commoners used to be offensive. Now it was simply the majority of the population. “You really didn’t know my name?”
“Nope. I don’t know most of the soldiers' names. You’re not supposed to use them around Members.”
“Right… so this morning when I asked you and Member Christine where Jackson was?”
“Not supposed to do that.” He sounded amused.
“Do you really think my name is that bad?” He remained silent. My heart began to race like it did yesterday. I wasn’t fearing for my life but there was something inside me that was desperate for his approval. I’ve never cared what anyone thought about me let alone my name, why now? It infuriated me. He infuriated me. “So it is that bad?” I repeated myself. “No, it’s not. Really.” “My Dad wanted a boy.” I replied, attempting to be humorous. “And did he ever get one?” I nodded my head. “My brother Collin. He’s eleven. I miss him a lot.”My voice cracked. I tried not to let my emotions get the best of me and I fiddled with the zipper on my jacket until the tears in my eyes were no longer a threat. “So, you’re boyfriend in number nine?” I was glad he changed the subject. “Jackson? Well I guess if that’s what you want to call it.” He smiled “What would you call it?” I set myself up for that one. I laughed. He gave me a puzzled look eagering me to speak. “ I-well-umm, it’s complicated I guess. Or maybe not complicated. It’s actually pretty simple. We’ve known each other forever and he’s my best friend.” he stopped walking and sat down. I sat beside him, careful to leave a few feet between us. He looked disappointed. “Ouch. Friendzoned. I don’t think you and Jackson are on quite the same page.” His smile flashed his beautiful, perfect teeth. “He’s more than my bestfriend. I guess you were right with the boyfriend title, I just haven’t ever thought of it like that.” Liam grabbed a notebook and a compass out of his backpack and began writing things I couldn’t see. He explained all of the mapping process which made no sense to me and we started walking again, him mapping the new area of the forest that hadn’t been discovered for two centuries. I wasn’t sure why I was even here. I was of no help whatsoever. We walked in silence while he noted anything strange or new in his notebook. The silence was a peaceful one, not the kind where you desperately think of things to say to pass the time. I was content. “Is Jackson” Liam blurted out as if he had been pondering something “ah, never mind.” A smile crept onto my face that I couldn’t hide. It was weird seeing him embarrassed or unsure. “Is Jackson what?” I asked. “The only guy you’ve kind of dated?” “Yep.” I hoped he wouldn’t push any more. The rest of the afternoon played out the same way. I walked while he wrote in silence and occasionally one of us would break the silence with random questions. It was nice.
© Copyright 2022 Jaz (jazz05 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270737-The-Wake-Chapter-Two