*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271465-Crinkly-Grass
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2271465
Flash Fiction
Crinkly Grass

Tiff sniffed, something smelled wonderful! The house was dark, hunting time.

Usually he got food from the dog’s bowl. The dog always left a lot. But, that smell! Tiff decided to take his chances in the big room. He was fast, and the humans were all sleeping.

He sneaked out of the hole in the back of the bookcase and looked around. There on the table were tall baskets. The smell coming from them. He scurried over. Each basket was filled with crinkly stuff, and candy! Heaven!

Five minutes later he was stuffed silly! He made himself run back and forth a few times to get more for tomorrow, just in case. Then he noticed how soft the crinkly stuff was. This would make a great nest! He ran back and forth many times and got most of the green crinkly stuff though the hole and up to his nest in the wall. Then he settled down for a lovely sleep in his new crinkly bed.

By early morning, Jane and Andy were up! Easter baskets!!! They couldn’t wait till their parents got up! Their parents knew it, and let them have their delight. By the time they got downstairs the baskets were a sticky, mess of bitten eggs, holey rabbit bodies and crinkly plastic grass! The kids, stuffed and ready for a “too much sugar” nap!

As Mum and Dad chatted over coffee, Dad asked why she hadn’t had him buy more basket stuffing. It was obvious they were short, Andy’s basket had hardly any. Then they spent the whole day hovering over Andy to make sure he was OK. He promised them never ate any of the grass but, you know, you can’t be too careful with kids.

Tiff, on the other hand, had the best sleep ever!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271465-Crinkly-Grass