*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275843-The-Man-in-the-Well
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2275843
A story of a detective becoming the killer he tried to stop
Imagine yourself in 1948 in Kansas on a small farm home to a family of 3 and their dog the husbands Abraham, his wife Lucy, their son Asher, and finally their dog Gus who made meager earnings from selling the crops but still had a decent life. But one day their peaceful life would all change on one faithful day. During that day signs of a ferocious storm were brewing and thinking there was only a little time to escape so Abraham and Lucy told Asher to hide in the well upon their property and as Asher ran for the well without looking back he jumped down as he heard his parents screams silenced as he closed the lid and headed down into the darkness. once Asher's feet touched the water he smelled the scent of death and a decaying body when suddenly his ankle was grabbed by a decaying hand and as he fought to stay above the water he was dragged under seeing a sight he would never forget in his short life. It was as if he was looking at a reanimated corpse with pale skin cold dead eyes and bits of flesh missing revealing his bones it was as if the movie of Frankenstein Asher had watched was transformed into an even more grotesque being. Then suddenly the thing lunged at Asher ripping his throat out and leaving Asher bleeding with the life slowly draining from him until died a painful and lonely death. A week later the family was found dead in their house ripped to shreds by Lucy's sister who was coming to visit so she called the police. When they arrived they had also brought detective Steven who had solved many murders before this and when he realized that Asher was missing so he and the officers searched the premises until they found Asher's body in the well. His body was a mangled mess as if he was feasted upon by some animal but it wouldn't explain how his body got un the well so after the house was searched for clues and infuriated that he could find any clues Steven slammed his fist upon the dining room table when a letter fluttered from god knows were and landed on the table. The letter read from no one to no one and when Steven opened it, it read The Man in the Well written in the blood of an unknown victim. Soon Steven was almost mesmerized by the case and spent all his time trying to solve it and would not accept any other cases it was as if he couldn't go a day without the case and eventually to get closer to the case he moved into the house with his wife and two kids. While inspecting the house one day Steven found an attic door that had not been there before curious Steven opened the door and pulled the ladder down and ascended to the attic. Steven was in awe because of the attic because it was as if the house was adding more and more rooms by the day and besides the dusty bokes and cobwebs one thing stood out to Steven an old rusted chest. As Steven got closer to the chest he began to hear voices in his head whispering a dialect he didn't understand and as Steven opened the chest he was disorientated by the dust flying into the air and in his face. After looking inside the chest he found three things a bloodied knife with the blood already dried, a news paperer, and finally large book longer than any book Steven had ever seen but the book also had a marker in it when Steven opened up the book to that page he found in bold letters The Man in the Well.
© Copyright 2022 Mafia Joe 2.0 (snakeyjake08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275843-The-Man-in-the-Well