*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2276321-That-Night
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2276321
Flash Fiction
That Night

What are you looking at? You’ve been staring out that window forever!” Jeff said to Jennifer.

Jennifer jumped. “Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

“I couldn’t have been louder if I had a brass band behind me,” Jeff said. “What’s so fascinating out that window?”

“Somebody is out there.”

“Somebody like who? A prowler? A peeping Tom? Rita from next door?”

“I don’t know...”

“Then how do you know there’s somebody out there?”

“I can feel it.”

“You can feel it?” Jeff said, somewhat sarcastically. “What, like a creepy feeling going up your spine? A strange smell, a feeling of a presence?”

“This isn’t funny Jeff, I just feel like somebody is out there, looking into this very window.”

Realizing that she was being serious, Jeff stopped the sarcasm and went to her side, “Are you OK? Do you feel sick?”

“I’m fine!” she shot back, then faltering, “I think... do you think I might be sick, that I’m making this up?”

“I don’t know. It’s not like you to just imagine things like this. Come over to the sofa, I’ll take your temperature,” he lead her off.

Outside the window, stranded on a stray maple leaf, the captain of the Starship Grego, from Doubdelor, jumped to attention, barking orders to his crew to take off immediately! Before Jeff and Jennifer had gotten to the sofa, the ship was three miles up and not planning to stop till they were completely out of earth’s views. This error in landing would go in the books so it would never happen again!

Jeff babied Jennifer for the rest of the night in contrition. As luck would have it, eight and three-quarter's months later, a baby boy was born! They named him Grego. Neither one of them ever knew why.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2276321-That-Night