*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277174-Depression-The-Silent-Underrated-Killer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ruthy
Rated: ASR · Article · Psychology · #2277174
An article demonstrating how depression has become an underrated menace.
“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.”― C.S. Lewis


In February 2022, the World Health Organization declared depression a global crisis considering that it affects approximately 280 million people worldwide. This points to a sad reality: approximately 5 percent of the world’s adult population is fighting this lethal disease. The Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study (GBD) conducted in 2019 revealed that depression is among the top two disabling mental disorders, besides anxiety. It is unfortunate that there has been insignificant reduction in the global prevalence or burden of depression since 1990.1

Despite the use of interventions meant to reduce impact, the long-term and recurrent nature of depression frustrates one’s effort to re-establish a functional and rewarding life. An encounter with this condition renders an individual helpless and activates a distasteful life that appears meaningless. Nothing is as painful and torturous as losing sight of purpose and gaining traction on a path of hopelessness. Important aspects of life such as family, work, and school demonstrate our ability to function normally. When we lose grip of functionality in any of these areas, a gap presents itself and abnormal tendencies pace up.

A depressed individual often displays abnormal lifestyle changes that are likely to be overlooked. At the budding stage, trifling behavioral changes manifest but sadly, most people fail to realize that they are rolling down a dark hole of mental and emotional torture. One feels as though they are “living in a black hole” or are surrounded by impending doom. It is common for a person falling into depression to feel lifeless, empty, and apathetic.

Having a hopeless outlook is a common onset symptom of depression. At this point, a person feels helpless, worthless and is overburdened by recurring thoughts of guilt and hopelessness that may be vocalized as, “It is my fault,” or “There is no point.” Loss of interest in activities that one once enjoyed points to depression. Additional warning signs include increased fatigue and sleep problems, irritability, change in appetite and weight, emotional outbursts, and recurring suicidal thoughts.

Experiencing major depression symptoms for more than two weeks is a red flag that you might be battling a major depression disorder. Early recognition of the problem is critical to having a successful treatment process. A key reason why most people continue living with a number of symptoms of depression, yet they are not seeking intervention, is failure to discern it at the onset stage.

The treatment process requires deliberate and conscious investment of efforts. Missing out on any important cues or symptoms subjects one to a turmoil of pain and struggle that often leads to suicide. Moreover, lack of social support during treatment and recovery, which calls for patience, resilience, and strong-will, can trigger life-threatening emotional exhaustion. At some point in our lives, we have heard that someone we know or are affiliated to has committed suicide. In some cases, the news are shocking and baffling because we didn’t expect it. The victim did not portray any visible signs of hurting.

It common for a majority of people fighting depression to wear a brave face, to afford a smile and even engage in a conversation normally. The masking of the dying psyche is an untypical coping mechanism. It is a defense strategy to avoid stigma and be termed a “maniac”. We live in a society where people with mental disorders are considered outliers and wrongfully perceived as broken and dysfunctional. This insensitive view drives the affected to fight silently in a cage of isolation.

“When you're surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you're by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don't feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you're really alone.”—Fiona Apple


As a society, we need to STOP perpetuating the misconception that mental illness is a taboo. We need to understand that it is a state of the mind that has no power over our identity and existence. Let’s adore and embrace the fighters of pervasive mental illnesses such as depression. They are stronger than we are, given the high level of resilience they exert against the forces of hopelessness. With a little of our support, empathy, concern, and love, the burden of depression will erode and become faced out with no chance of recurrence. The silence of the killer disease will soon become too loud to bear, leaving us no option but to become proactive in its eradication.


“You aren’t the things that haunt you. You aren’t defective or broken. You are human, you’re doing the best you can, and you have so much more to offer the world than the demons you’re fighting.”—Daniell Koepke


My heart goes out to all fighting the demon of depression and to all your family and friends who relentlessly walk with you in the journey of recovery. When you feel like you don’t know what to do anymore, please don’t give up-Keep trying. Please soldier on for you are a hero in the face of resilience and persistence.
© Copyright 2022 Ruthy (ruthmwaura at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277174-Depression-The-Silent-Underrated-Killer