*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279265-Retreat-to-Shadow-Fell
Rated: E · Draft · Fantasy · #2279265
A first draft of an idea
As the crimson stain of Trenton's blood painfully trickled down the razor-sharp edge of Dylan's blade, their eyes met as if it was the first time.

Dylan did not recognize the man knelt before him. The slow realization that this man, someone who he had called his brother, could have been twisted and corrupted
to the point that he would try something like this.

"We could have been gods, Dylan!"

The words cut him deeper than any steel ever could.

"It's not for us to be gods"

Trenton's eyes narrowed with searing pain; he was beginning to feel light-headed due to the pool of blood forming around his grounded knee.

"You never were one for the bigger picture, were you?" grimaced Trenton.

Even here, in this vulnerable position, he was dangerous. Dylan knew that his downed opponent was almost more so now than ever, like a cornered beast.

As he gazed around the temple hall, he saw the trail of lifeless, blooded bodies of his brethren. Scattered, slashed and cleaved.

Draped across the alter at the head of the hall, was Sentinel Prime. His throat sliced with surgical precision. Dylan concluded this must have been the first act of violence that led them here.

His eyes wandered over the mayhem before him, each scene played out in his mind like a sort of grim pantomime. First Sentinel Prime caught off guard by Trenton's treachery, then it was Finn's turn, carved through the mid rift as he was unsheathing his weapon. Next, it looked as Tamsin had put up quite a fight, she always had been an excellent sword player. She had put Dylan on his arse more than once. But she too had fallen.

It had been that moment when Dylan had entered the great hall to investigate the din.

With a sobering exhale, Dylan refocused on Trenton, who was clutching at the rusted stump where his fist used to sit.

"Hand it over" Dylan announced calmly.

At that utterance there began a slight curling in the corner of Trenton's mouth, followed by a weary laugh. "I see what you did there..."

"Lets not make this any harder, you know I have the advantage here" signaled Dylan.

His outstretched hand was met with a fervent jealousy from Trenton.

"I didn't want to kill you, that's the reason I did all this without you here... out of respect."

"Still your mouth..." snapped Dylan "Give me the stone and I will end your suffering... Quickly!"

A slow, maniacal laugh began to brew which left Dylan with an uneasy sensation burning in his stomach.

"What did I always tell you, 'brother'... always have a back up." A sudden flick from Trenton's good wrist saw a shimmering shank appear from his worn sleeve. Before Dylan could react, the blade had cut through the air with menace and embedded itself into the meat of his thigh.

As he dropped down to the floor, he could do nothing to stop his once trusted friend staggering towards the archway leading to the courtyard which overlooked the capital.
Feelings of betrayal and duplicity rose strong in Dylan as Trenton mounted the winged beast.

The order was in ruins, one of the sacred relics was stolen and Trenton had hunted down, ensnared and mastered one of the last remaining Shadow Fell Wyverns.

All Dylan could think as the majestic sound of the beast's wings thudded above him was...

"I must get up..."
© Copyright 2022 MrMac123 (mrmac123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279265-Retreat-to-Shadow-Fell