*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280768-Lend-Me-Your-Ear
by Dee
Rated: E · Critique · Community · #2280768
the art of listening
"I would like to tell you something" is a phrase I hear quite often. Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find an active listener. People seem to want to take your words and package them up into a form more suitable for them. Here are a few instigators I've encountered.

I'll begin with the fact finder. My revelry will start with "My sister and I were on the way to the market". No sooner did I get the words out before I hear " Did you say you got there by bus or car?" I am then forced to redirect the auditor back to the meat of the story.

The second offender I will call the literary advisor. This person seems to take a great interest in my banter. But alas, it is my use of grammar which has captivated them. I will be halfway through my dialogue when they inquire, "are you sure you didn't mean to say so and so?" Again I must bring the witness back to my original tale.

My personal favorite is the multi-tasker. This audience member is quite talented. She will vaccum the hallway, bake a pie and browse the newspaper all while focusing on my heartfelt recital.

What has become of tha attentivee earr? The heeder of words, so to speak. Where have those concerned mortals gone. The great listeners who would hang on your every word? I'm afraid they've gone the way of the typewriter, missed by a rare few.
© Copyright 2022 Dee (mercyme33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280768-Lend-Me-Your-Ear