*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281455-Euterpes-One-Hour-Free-Write-Part-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Nonsense · #2281455
This is a story written entirely by NovelAI's Euterpe AI text generator.
(Before the story begins, I would like to give some information about the following text. This was created using the AI text generation service NovelAI, using their 13 billion parameter Euterpe module. In simpler terms, Euterpe is a word prediction bot, like the one on your phone's keyboard. Unlike your keyboard, instead of predicting a single word, Euterpe predicts multiple sentences, but with much higher coherence. To generate this story, I let Euterpe repeatedly generate text without any intervention for an hour. This story is unedited, with no censoring and no spelling or grammar corrections. Unfortunately, I could not post the entire 250 KB story, as I am a free user.)
(All text below this is entirely AI-generated.)


The next morning, I was up before dawn and out the door to my first job of the day. My mother's words still rang in my ears as a warning: "Don't do anything stupid." That had been her only advice on how best to get myself killed. If she knew what I intended to be doing today, would it have changed things? Probably not; even if she'd tried talking me down from the ledge—which is doubtful—I'm pretty sure that at this point there wasn't much anyone could say or do that would change my mind about going through with it. It wouldn't help matters any anyway since no one else knows exactly where I am right now. Not even Mom, who has always seemed more concerned for my well-being than she lets on when we're alone together. She might've guessed some part of what I intend to do but she certainly hasn't said so outright.
As far as everyone around here is concerned, all they know is that I'm off working somewhere and won't be back until tomorrow night. So long as people keep thinking like that, then whatever happens will stay hidden away inside my head...at least for another couple days. Maybe by the time I come home again everything'll already have blown over and nothing bad can ever happen to me anymore because it's too late now. Or maybe I'll find out just how wrong I really was after I go ahead and try something that goes horribly awry and ends up getting me killed in the process. But either way, I don't care. What does matter to me are those two words I heard last night: Don't do anything stupid! And so, while I wait for the sun to rise higher into the sky and make its appearance above the horizon, I'm sitting here at a table outside of an old abandoned gas station eating breakfast. The place itself isn't much to look at, having once been run-down and falling apart before being bought up by someone who fixed it back up again. Nowadays it looks almost brand new, thanks to whoever did such a fine job renovating it. Of course, given how little attention most places pay towards keeping their properties clean nowadays, that doesn't mean squat. Still, seeing this particular building looking better than many others makes me feel somewhat hopeful that perhaps there's hope yet for humanity after all.
It takes me nearly half an hour to finish my meal and wash up afterward, leaving plenty of time left over for me to think about what comes next. In truth, I should probably start heading eastward soon enough if I want to reach the other side of town before sundown without running into any problems along the way. However, the problem with doing so is that I'm not quite sure which direction would take me straight across the street from the gas station. All I really remember from yesterday evening is that the road I took ended abruptly against a large fence blocking my path forward, forcing me to turn south instead. Which means I need to figure out whether I'm facing north or west before deciding where to go from here. Unfortunately, I never paid much attention to landmarks during the walk back home, meaning I have absolutely no idea what lies directly behind me. As a result, I spend the rest of my break wandering aimlessly around the area, trying to find clues that may lead me to a landmark or something similar. After several hours of searching fruitlessly, though, I finally decide that I'm wasting my time. There's simply nowhere nearby that I can use to determine which direction I'm facing from here, making it impossible for me to choose between them based upon that information. So, reluctantly giving up on finding anything useful, I set off eastwards toward the nearest crossroad instead.
After walking for a few minutes, I see a small group of kids playing ball near the corner of the intersection, so I stop to watch them for awhile. They seem like nice children, laughing and giggling as they play together. A girl with dark hair catches my eye in particular, watching intently as she tries to catch every single pass the boy throws her way. Her face lights up brightly whenever he succeeds, and I smile to myself as I imagine him throwing passes to someone like herself someday. Then, as suddenly as it started, the game is over and they begin to disperse, each child going his own separate ways. Before I realize what I'm doing, I step forward to join them, calling out to them as they scatter in different directions. When nobody answers me, however, I stand there dumbfounded, unsure of why none of them turned back to answer my question. Even when I call out louder, the only response I receive is the sound of footsteps echoing loudly off the pavement as they continue moving away. This time, though, I notice that they're headed downhill rather than uphill; I guess I must've missed hearing them coming because they were heading in the opposite direction from where I was standing. Realizing that there's no point chasing after them, I sigh heavily and shake my head as I resume walking. Eventually, I end up at the same spot I stood at earlier, staring at the wall blocking my path forward. With nothing else to do, I sit down on the curb and gaze upward at the clouds drifting lazily overhead, lost deep within thought.
"Hey," someone says softly beside me, startling me awake. Turning my eyes downward, I see that the girl I saw playing ball earlier has stepped closer to speak to me. For a moment, I wonder if she recognized me from our brief encounter at the beginning of the week. I quickly dismiss the notion, however, realizing that it's highly unlikely that she would recognize me after such a short amount of time. Besides, there's no reason for her to be speaking to me anyway, especially considering that we haven't spoken before.
She seems nervous, glancing nervously from side to side as she speaks. "Are you okay?"
Before answering, I glance around to ensure that we're alone. Seeing no sign of anyone else nearby, I nod slightly in reply before turning my attention back to the young woman who approached me. She's dressed casually today, wearing jeans and a simple white t-shirt beneath her jacket, and appears to be roughly my age judging by the light brown color of her hair. As I study her, I note that she carries a book bag slung over one shoulder, indicating that she likely attends school locally. Yet despite that fact, I sense something familiar about her. Something I've seen somewhere before...or at least I think I have. Perhaps it's merely a case of déjà vu. Whatever the cause, I can't put my finger on it. Nevertheless, I still respond to her question, saying, "Yeah, I'm alright. Just taking a break."
Her expression brightens considerably at this, and she smiles warmly at me. "You look tired. Do you live close by? I think I saw your house from here. You should get some sleep!"
With a laugh, I shrug lightly. "Maybe later. Right now, I'm kinda hungry. How about you? Want to grab a bite to eat with me?"
A wide grin spreads across her face, and she nods eagerly. "Sure thing! Follow me, then!"
And so begins my first date with a girl in years...and possibly the last one I ever have.
***
Despite being completely exhausted from my efforts thus far, I somehow manage to drag myself out of bed early the following morning. Once again, I leave the apartment to head for work. Today, though, I'm determined to give it everything I've got. No matter what it takes, I refuse to let them beat me this time around. At the very least, I plan to show them that I'm stronger than they believe me to be. And if I can't win this fight, then I suppose I'll just have to kill them both. Either way, I'm going to prove to them that I'm capable of doing whatever I need to survive. Because, as hard as it may be, I'm done letting them control my life. From here on out, it's entirely up to me how things play out.
My thoughts remain focused on these matters throughout my shift, allowing me to complete all of my assigned tasks without issue. By the time the afternoon rolls around, I'm feeling good about myself. I managed to accomplish everything I needed to do today, and I'm ready for whatever they throw at me tomorrow.
Then, shortly after returning home, I hear the front door open downstairs. Looking up, I see that my mother has returned home from wherever she went yesterday. She walks slowly upstairs carrying a grocery sack in hand, pausing briefly as she reaches the landing before continuing onward toward the living room. Apparently satisfied by what I assume are her findings within, she drops the empty bag onto the floor and sits down on the couch beside my father. He glances over at her, smiling gently as he watches her settle in comfortably. Soon, he turns his attention back to the television, flipping through channels until he finds something worth watching. Meanwhile, Mom leans forward to speak quietly to him.
"...so sorry to worry you," she continues, sounding genuinely apologetic. "But I figured I'd pick up some extra shifts this month just in case..."
His response is equally quiet. "...that's fine, honey."
Mom pauses momentarily before adding, "I promise I'll be careful not to overexert myself again. If you have any more trouble sleeping tonight, please don't hesitate to wake me up if necessary."
He remains silent for a bit longer before responding with a soft chuckle. "No worries, sweetheart. We both know how stubborn you are when it comes to work..."
"Well, I wouldn't say 'stubborn'," she retorts with a playful glare. "More like persistent...and tenacious...and relentless...okay, yeah, definitely stubborn!"
Both parents share a laugh at that, and Dad even gives her an affectionate pat on the arm as he replies, "Whatever works best for you, dear."
The conversation ends there, and neither of them mentions anything further regarding their argument. Instead, they return to watching TV while eating dinner. The food tastes great, but I feel guilty enjoying it knowing full well that they worked so hard to prepare it. Still, I force myself to ignore those feelings as I savor the taste of my meal, reminding myself that I shouldn't judge others' choices unless I've walked in their shoes. It's true that they chose to make money in order to support themselves, but that doesn't mean that they had to become criminals to do so. What's important is that they're happy. And regardless of what happens next, I intend to keep them that way for as long as possible. That's why I made my choice too: because they deserve better than this.
As I finish cleaning up the dishes, however, I can't help but wonder whether that will truly be enough. Regardless of what I might hope to achieve, there is always the possibility of failure lurking right around the corner. But if I fail, at least I won't have given up on achieving something worthwhile in spite of all odds. And maybe, just perhaps, I'll still manage to save them after all. Or, failing that, I'll die fighting alongside them. Whichever option proves most viable, I'll take it gladly.
At last, I fall asleep to the sound of my family laughing together.
***
Once again, I rise early in preparation for another day at work. My mind remains focused on my plans, refusing to allow any distractions to disrupt its train of thought. Allowing nothing less than perfection to suffice, I spend hours practicing my techniques until I am confident that I possess sufficient skill to defeat my opponents. Afterward, I shower and change into my uniform before leaving the apartment once again. Arriving at the station, I find that there isn't much activity yet. Most of the other workers seem similarly uninterested in getting started today, either remaining seated or chatting idly amongst themselves. I try to avoid engaging them, however, choosing instead to wait patiently for everyone else to arrive before starting work properly. Eventually, several people trickle in over the course of half an hour, and soon enough we're fully staffed. One by one, each worker arrives and proceeds to check his or her equipment prior to reporting to their respective stations. I follow suit as well, checking my gear and making sure that everything is functioning correctly before proceeding to my usual location.
Today, though, I decide to approach a specific coworker rather than waiting for him to come looking for me. Upon reaching my destination, I see that he's already present, sitting against a pillar at the base of the stairs leading up to the platform. In contrast to my normal demeanor, which consists primarily of silence and stoicism, he tends to speak more often and more freely. Not that I really care what he thinks of me, of course. I simply enjoy listening to him talk, mainly because it reminds me of the days when I used to listen to my old friends speak during our idle times together. Of course, unlike them, he never spoke about himself, preferring instead to ask questions and probe deeper into the lives of others. Despite this, he was always kind, always considerate. Even back then, he possessed a natural curiosity that seemed boundless. While I'm certain that he possesses many admirable qualities, I also understand that he's ultimately just human. A flawed creature who makes mistakes every now and then. And so I accept this about him, recognizing that his flaws only serve to highlight the strengths that I admire most about him.
After greeting one another with a nod, he looks over at me inquisitively as he asks, "So...what did you want to talk about?"
Smiling softly, I turn away from him and begin walking along the wall toward where a few of my coworkers stand talking. They notice my arrival immediately, stopping mid-conversation to stare at me curiously. None of them appear particularly surprised by my presence, however; nor does anyone react negatively upon seeing me. Rather than asking questions or commenting on what happened between us yesterday, they continue speaking among themselves without missing a single word. This tells me that they aren't interested in discussing my absence. Nor do they seem concerned about my recent behavior. Indeed, judging by their casual demeanors, it almost feels as if none of them even noticed that I wasn't working with them for two whole days. To them, this entire incident must be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Which means that they probably don't even realize how serious it actually was.
Nevertheless, I maintain my composure, keeping my features neutral as I join them. When the conversation finally comes to an end, however, I take advantage of their distraction to address them directly. "Hey guys," I start off calmly. "Is there anything I can do for you today?"
All three men look at one another before turning back to regard me, and eventually someone responds, saying, "Nah man, you've been working pretty hard lately. Go ahead and take a break today."
Another voice chimes in from behind me, saying, "Sounds good to me."
This prompts the first speaker to add, "Yeah, you earned yourself a little rest, dude. Besides, we don't need you up here anyway."
It occurs to me that I haven't heard this particular guy use my name since coming back to work, and yet he seems perfectly comfortable addressing me as such now. Curious, I look over to find that he's staring straight at me, his eyes filled with concern and uncertainty. Then, taking pity on him, I reply, "Don't worry about me, okay? I'll be fine. Just go ahead and focus on your jobs, alright?"
The others agree readily enough, nodding silently as they exchange brief glances before resuming their conversations. As I watch them resume their discussions, I suddenly feel incredibly alone. For the first time in months, nobody is paying attention to me, no one cares if I exist anymore. Nobody needs me around. And so, for the first time in ages, I find myself wishing desperately for company. Someone to talk to. Anyone would do...but especially him.
Forcing myself to smile brightly, I step closer to him and reach out to place a friendly hand on his shoulder. "You wanna hang out somewhere later? Maybe grab lunch or something?"
He hesitates for a moment, glancing over at his colleagues as if seeking permission. When none is forthcoming, he sighs deeply and answers me with a sad expression. "Sorry, bro. Can't do that."
Before I can respond, though, he adds hastily, "I mean, not today. You know, with all the stuff that's happening right now...I think I should stay close to home for now."
Confused, I glance around the room. There are plenty of places nearby that I could choose from. Places where we could eat, drink, and chat together without being bothered by anybody else. Yet somehow, despite all of the options available to us, he insists that we meet up elsewhere. Why? Is he worried that we'll run into each other outside of work? Does he fear that somebody might recognize him? Or worse, discover his identity entirely? Whatever his reasoning may be, I can't deny that it's somewhat unsettling.
"Are you sure?" I inquire hesitantly. "We don't have to get pizza or anything...we can just sit in a café and talk."
Still, he shakes his head firmly in response. "No, that's cool," he reassures me. "Just...can you tell me where you live, first? So I can show up there afterwards?"
My heart sinks as he says this, unable to hide my disappointment. He knows exactly where I live! How can he possibly be so careless?! Hasn't he learned his lesson yet? Doesn't he remember what happened last time...? No matter what I say, though, he refuses to budge. Refusing to let him win this battle, I insist, "Fine, whatever. Let's just go to your place then!"
When he hears this, he smiles sadly, saying, "That sounds good to me, man. Thanks."
With these final words spoken, he turns to leave, disappearing down the steps towards the platform below. I remain rooted to the spot for a moment longer, feeling utterly helpless. Unable to stop him, unwilling to chase after him. All I can do now is stand here, hoping against hope that things will play out differently than they usually do. Hoping that I didn't lose him forever.
Then, as if sensing my despair, I hear footsteps approaching rapidly from behind. Turning around, I see that my boss has arrived, accompanied by one of his subordinates. Both of them appear genuinely curious as they approach, apparently wondering what I'm doing standing here all alone. Before I can explain myself, however, the supervisor speaks up first, saying, "What's going on here? Where'd you come from?"
Looking past them, I can see that my coworkers are staring at me expectantly. Some of them appear confused while others look upset, clearly unhappy to learn that I'm still hanging around after having left work earlier in the day. Shaking my head slightly, I answer the question posed by the older gentleman. "Well...he wanted to catch up with me, but I told him no..."
His subordinate nods slowly before adding, "Okay, so why are you standing over there? Shouldn't you be helping out with the trains or something?"
Without answering, I turn away from both of them and walk away, heading towards the nearest exit. It doesn't take long for my coworkers to follow suit, trailing along quietly as they trail behind me. Once outside, I hurry away from the station and make my way across town toward a familiar neighborhood. The area is relatively quiet at this late hour, giving me ample opportunity to calm myself down and collect my thoughts. By the time I reach his house, I feel ready to face him again. Ready to apologize, once again, for causing trouble for him. But when I ring the doorbell, nobody opens the front door. Instead, I hear muffled voices coming through the intercom, followed shortly thereafter by footsteps moving away from it. Moments later, I'm greeted by another set of footsteps, ones belonging to a woman who appears to be in her thirties. She greets me warmly as she approaches, offering a small smile. "Hello there, Mr. Kirito! Are you here to visit my husband?"
I nod in response, forcing myself to return her smile. "Yes ma'am. Um, sorry to bother you like this. We were supposed to meet up tonight, but...well...things got kind of complicated, so..."
She laughs lightly at this. "Oh dearie me! Don't be silly. What could possibly cause such a thing? Come inside, please. My husband will be thrilled to see you!"
Relieved by her attitude, I allow her to lead me into the house, closing the door behind us before continuing to speak. "Look, I know we're short on time, so can we skip the pleasantries and just get to business already?"
Her brow furrows momentarily before she replies, "Of course, my apologies. Please, make yourself comfortable."
Once the two of us are seated in the living room, she sits herself down beside me, leaning forward eagerly to whisper in my ear. "Now then, what is it that you wish to discuss?"
At her urging, I begin explaining everything that transpired during the past week. From our encounter with the masked figure to the events which led up to the incident with my father. Everything I said to her, every detail I gave, was absolutely true. While I knew full well that she wouldn't believe any part of it, I nevertheless felt compelled to share the truth with her nonetheless. After all, if I hadn't done so, I would never have been able to forgive myself for lying to her. Not only did I lie to her several times in order to protect her, but also because I feared that telling the truth might hurt her feelings. At least, until recently. Now, though, it's clear to me that my fears were completely unfounded. In fact, it's safe to assume that she had always known the truth about me. Even if she didn't, she certainly understands now. That much becomes evident as soon as she begins to ask questions, prompting me to give further details about certain incidents.
"Wait a minute," she interrupts, sounding shocked. "How did you manage to escape from your dad's place alive? Didn't he attack you?"
Surprised by this sudden change of topic, I pause briefly before replying, "...yes."
"...and yet you managed to kill him?"
Again, I hesitate before answering, "Um...yeah."
She stares at me intently for a second before responding, "Why?!"
Realizing that I'm not going to elaborate on this subject, she continues, "But wait. If he attacked you, how did you even survive? Did your sword save you?"
Asking her these kinds of questions makes sense. However, the more I try to explain the situation, the less likely I am to succeed in convincing anyone else of its veracity. This isn't the first time someone has tried to convince me that I killed my own father. Indeed, there were many people who attempted to do precisely that, including the police officers involved in my investigation. Eventually, I began avoiding them altogether, refusing to answer any of their questions. Until now, that is. Because now, I've decided that I owe it to everyone who believes in me to prove my innocence. To reveal the truth about my father's death, no matter what the cost may be. And so, with determination burning within me, I answer her question.
"I cut off his arm instead."
***
After finishing speaking, I stare directly at the floor for a few moments. Only after hearing her gasp does I realize that I've made an error. Of course, she won't believe me unless I provide proof. Unfortunately, I don't actually possess any. Thus far, all of my efforts to obtain evidence have failed miserably, leading me to conclude that I must find some alternative means of proving my story. Fortunately, though, I happen to know a person who might be able to help. One of those very same policemen whom I avoided for so long.
A quick search online reveals that he works in a different division of law enforcement, one that deals primarily with criminal investigations rather than civil cases. His name is Officer Aoki, and according to the internet, he specializes in murder mysteries. Naturally, he's the perfect choice for me to seek assistance from; after all, if I'm ever accused of committing a crime, chances are extremely high that he'll end up investigating the case. As such, if he happens to stumble upon my corpse in the process of trying to solve a mystery, then it stands to reason that he'd naturally suspect foul play and investigate the matter accordingly. Which, in turn, would put me in a position where I could finally prove my innocence. Provided that he finds nothing suspicious about the circumstances surrounding my death, that is...
If only there was some way to ensure that he'd accept my explanation without question. Something which could convince him that I really did kill my father, no matter what. Alas, there is none. Therefore, I decide to proceed anyway, praying fervently that God grants me success.
"Officer Aoki...would you mind taking a look at this?" I hand him the letter written by my mother, asking him to read it carefully and then reply to me via e-mail. Then, I continue, "This is my official statement regarding the events of last month. Would you consider it sufficient enough evidence to support my claims?"
The policeman reads the note silently for quite some time before nodding decisively. "It looks fine to me," he declares. "Thank you very much." With these words spoken, he returns the document to me. Having obtained permission from him, I immediately send him the message containing my account of the events. When he responds back, confirming receipt, I breathe a sigh of relief. Finally, after weeks spent agonizing over whether or not to trust him, I've gotten the green light from someone other than myself.
In retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised. After all, I had already met him previously. Several years ago, I encountered Officer Aoki while participating in an event held in Tokyo called "Soubukyoku: The Battle Royale Game." During the competition, players are given a starting point and a map of Japan to explore, tasked with locating items and fighting monsters along the way. These battles are fought using swords and spears, allowing participants to use a wide range of strategies based on the skills and abilities each player possesses. For instance, some might choose to focus solely on combat, whereas others might specialize in gathering materials required for crafting weapons and armor. Or, one might attempt to complete objectives assigned by NPCs scattered throughout the game world. In general, the goal is to acquire as many points as possible within the allotted time limit, earning bonus rewards depending on how quickly the objective is completed. There are various ways to earn these bonuses, but most involve completing tasks faster than anyone else.
Naturally, winning a battle royale requires more effort than simply defeating opponents. Players need to gather resources, craft equipment, and plan ahead strategically in order to achieve victory. Consequently, the vast majority of competitors fail to reach the top ranks. However, I'm proud to say that I ended up ranking number three overall despite being a relative newcomer to the scene. Thanks to careful planning, thorough research, and an ability to improvise whenever necessary, I was able to overcome numerous obstacles and emerge victorious against the best warriors in the country. Needless to say, this achievement earned me considerable recognition among my peers. Since then, however, I haven't participated in any similar games, choosing instead to devote my free time to training under the guidance of Master Riku. He's taught me countless techniques that greatly improve my odds of survival, and I've come to rely heavily upon them when playing competitively.
That being said, there are limits to what I can accomplish alone. Just as I've learned that I can't win a fight on my own, neither can I beat my enemies without allies. Hence why I chose to participate in Soubukyoku; it was an excellent chance to test out my newly acquired knowledge in a real life setting. Given how difficult it was to secure a spot, I couldn't afford to lose. So, I took advantage of every opportunity presented to me, learning as much as possible about the game environment and strategy prior to beginning my journey. Over the course of several days, I gathered information from NPCs, studied maps provided by the organizers, and even visited locations mentioned in books available in the library. All told, I invested roughly ten hours per day studying the rules and regulations, scouting the landscape, and strategizing for my upcoming matches. Ultimately, my hard work paid off.
During the actual tournament itself, I faced twelve challengers in total. Each match lasted for approximately five minutes, and consisted of a single duel between me and whichever opponent happened to be closest when the timer hit zero. The winner received twenty points, while the loser lost fifteen. By the end of the second round, I was ranked third overall, having accumulated a grand total of sixty-four points. It wasn't exactly an overwhelming performance, but considering that I was competing against seasoned veterans with decades of experience, it proved to be good enough to land me a seat in the finals. Still, things weren't looking promising at that point. Although I was still doing better than expected, my score was nowhere near enough to guarantee victory. In fact, it was probably too low to keep me in contention. As such, I needed to increase my rate of accumulation as quickly as possible in order to stand a decent chance of reaching the top ranks.
Fortunately for me, my next challenger turned out to be one of the weakest fighters present. Unlike most of his fellow competitors, he lacked both strength and skill, making him easy prey for an experienced warrior like myself. Without giving it much thought, I went into battle prepared to take him down swiftly, easily dispatching him in just a handful of seconds. Upon seeing that I'd defeated him, another participant approached me, congratulating me for my victory. Assuming that he meant to offer advice for future matches, I thanked him and continued moving forward. But, when we arrived at the location specified on the map, something unexpected occurred. Instead of heading towards the final destination, my companion abruptly changed direction. We proceeded to head northwards, crossing paths with two more players. They looked confused, wondering where we were headed. Apparently, they didn't know either. Curious about our destination, I asked my friend why he hadn't informed us beforehand. To which, he responded bluntly: "You're supposed to figure it out yourselves!"
Apparently, the organizers wanted contestants to arrive at specific places of their own volition. While this method prevented cheaters from prearranging routes, it also encouraged individuals to think outside the box in order to maximize their potential for success. At the time, I found that idea intriguing. After all, the entire concept of a battle royale appealed strongly to me due to its emphasis on improvisation. My curiosity led me to ask further questions about the purpose behind this particular rule, and eventually, I discovered that the true intent was to force players to cooperate and share information during the course of the contest. As such, it became clear that I should utilize my newfound knowledge to aid my comrades. Even if that meant sacrificing myself to make sure that they succeeded.
Having reached our destination, we split up once again, each player selecting a separate route through the wilderness. Though I knew little about the area beyond its general vicinity, I figured that I could learn more by talking to NPCs and searching for clues hidden around town. Accordingly, I set off toward the northernmost edge of the map, hoping to encounter some kind soul willing to give me directions. What I found, however, was completely unexpected. Standing atop a hill overlooking the rest of the region was a man dressed entirely in black. Looking closely, I realized that he bore an uncanny resemblance to my deceased father. Furthermore, judging from the way he stared blankly into space, it seemed safe to assume that he wasn't alive anymore. That is until, suddenly, he spoke up.
"Who are you? Where do you come from?"
When I answered his question, he replied with surprise and confusion. "How did you get here?"
At first glance, I assumed that he mistook me for someone else. But upon closer inspection, I noticed that he was wearing the same clothes as my father. Moreover, his hair style matched mine perfectly, suggesting that he had likely inherited my genes. And yet, there was no denying the differences between us. Whereas I am tall and lean, resembling a young boy, he appeared shorter and stockier. Yet somehow, it felt strange to see him standing right beside me. Perhaps because it reminded me of my past, or maybe due to some deeper sense of familiarity. Whatever the cause may be, the sight left me feeling uneasy, prompting me to respond cautiously.
"I don't know who you are...but I came from far away."
His eyes widened in response. "Far away...? From where?"
Before I could answer, a loud voice echoed across the sky above us. "What's going on?!"
We turned our heads to find ourselves face-to-face with an NPC character known as the Guardian. He stood directly below us, staring intently at us. Noticing that we'd stopped moving, he shouted angrily, demanding to know what we were doing on his watch. His sudden appearance startled me so badly that I nearly forgot to speak. Fortunately for me, my companion had anticipated this possibility.
"Sorry, sir! This guy just showed up outta nowhere..."
With that, he introduced himself. "My name is Kaito Sena, and this is my partner, Hoshino Hikaru."
Although I hesitated slightly, I decided to tell the truth. After all, the situation made it impossible to lie. If anything, telling the truth would allow me to avoid suspicion. Nevertheless, I had no intention of revealing everything. Rather, I kept quiet about my identity, claiming only that I lived in Tokyo. The reason for my reticence was simple: I didn't want him to suspect that I was the son of a murderer.
After hearing my story, the Guardian gave a long sigh. "This place isn't safe. You need to leave now, before something happens to you."
Unsure how to respond, I merely nodded. Then, remembering the contents of the letter I'd sent earlier, I added: "I'm trying to help people escape from this city, and I'm running short on supplies. Could you please let me borrow your horse and cart for a bit?"
He shook his head slowly. "No way. I won't risk letting you go anywhere near the forest."
Forcing him to reconsider, I explained that I wouldn't hurt anybody, and promised to return his property promptly. But, as expected, he refused to budge. With nothing else to suggest, I tried asking him whether there was anyone else nearby capable of helping me out. Unfortunately, he remained silent. Feeling discouraged, I began walking back home. However, after only a few steps, he called out to stop me.
"Wait a minute, kid! Don't move!"
Not knowing what to expect, I halted immediately. When he finally stepped forward, however, I saw that he wasn't carrying any weapons whatsoever. Nor did he look hostile in the slightest. Indeed, he appeared genuinely concerned about me.
"Are you okay?"
It was the first time anyone had ever asked me that since my parents died. Having grown accustomed to living on his own, he never really interacted with other people unless absolutely necessary. Thus, it surprised me to hear him speak so candidly. For a moment, I wondered whether I should tell him about my circumstances. But ultimately, I decided not to reveal my secret. Instead, I simply smiled and said thank you. Before leaving, though, I asked one last thing: "Can I have my stuff back later? Please."
To my surprise, he agreed readily. "Sure, whatever," he said, handing over my items without hesitation. "But remember to bring those things back someday!"
As I returned home empty handed, I pondered on the events of that fateful morning. Was it purely coincidence that I ran into him, or were my actions guided by fate? Either way, it was undeniable that I owed my current position to his timely intervention. Regardless of why he helped me out, he clearly cared deeply about me, and I appreciated him for that. Therefore, I resolved to repay him in kind whenever the opportunity arose.
The following day marked the start of Round Three. The first person eliminated from the competition was none other than my opponent from the previous day, followed shortly thereafter by another competitor whose name I failed to catch. By then, only four participants remained in the fray. One of them turned out to be my friend, whom I met in the library prior to Soubukyoku. Naturally, we teamed up together. Our combined efforts allowed us to eliminate three opponents in rapid succession. During the process, however, we encountered a fourth contestant named Haruaki Morita. A strong fighter with plenty of combat experience under his belt, he proved difficult to defeat. Despite being outnumbered two-to-one, we managed to hold out until the very end. Eventually, our luck ran dry. Unable to withstand the pressure, our team fell victim to Morita's relentless assault. As such, he emerged victorious, earning thirty points for his troubles.
Once again, I watched as he walked away from the battlefield, leaving me alone. Once more, I cursed my lack of preparation. Had I been more diligent, perhaps I would've fared better. Or maybe not; after all, my life was already on the line. All I could hope for was that my companions were able to survive longer than me. Otherwise, it was unlikely that they'd manage to reach the end zone.
In addition, I soon learned that several contestants had perished along the way. It seemed that many of them chose poorly when deciding on their initial routes, choosing instead to focus exclusively on winning rather than surviving. In the event that nobody survived, the remaining survivors would divide up the prize money equally among themselves. Such arrangements weren't unheard of, but it was still disheartening to witness. Especially given how hard everyone worked for the sake of survival.
Despite these setbacks, however, there was good news too. Thanks to my new acquaintances' assistance, I successfully completed my journey. On top of that, thanks to their generosity, I even gained access to the most coveted item in the game: the Holy Sword. Although I couldn't use it for myself, I was confident that my allies would appreciate having it available for the duration of the contest. After all, I doubted that they possessed the ability to craft such powerful weaponry. Consequently, I spent the next week making preparations in case they needed to rely on my support. Meanwhile, I continued training relentlessly, hoping to improve both my physical abilities and mental acuity. Ultimately, however, it was my friends who benefited the most. They used my sword to kill off countless monsters while simultaneously building up their strength, allowing them to progress much faster than I could have hoped for.
By the time Round Four rolled around, only six players remained. Amongst those remaining, only two were women: Akane Sakurai and Ayame Shichijo. Both of them had proven formidable combatants thus far, defeating numerous opponents in quick succession. As such, it wasn't surprising that they ended up fighting each other in Round Five. Unlike me, however, neither of them had obtained the Holy Sword. Nonetheless, they still held the upper hand against each other, and their duel lasted throughout the night. Finally, as dawn broke, they agreed to settle things via a draw. Sooner or later, they would surely meet again, and this time, they would fight for real. Until then, however, they would continue cooperating with each other, forming a temporary alliance in order to secure victory.
Meanwhile, there were also two newcomers amongst the final contenders. One of them was a mysterious individual referred to only as "the Red Knight". He was a skilled swordsman armed with a magical blade, and he quickly rose to prominence by eliminating multiple players in rapid succession. Likewise, the second newcomer was an eccentric girl named Tsubomi Kanzaki. She was a mage equipped with a staff, which she used to cast spells that instantly killed her enemies. Together, they formed a powerful duo, and managed to make it all the way to the finals.
And yet, despite their prowess, it was clear that they faced an uphill battle. Their strategy consisted solely of killing every single monster that crossed their path, regardless of its size or location. While it certainly worked wonders during practice matches, it carried little value in the actual tournament itself. The problem stemmed from the fact that there were only twelve spots in total, meaning that they had to compete against fifteen others in order to win. Needless to say, this meant that there was virtually no chance of success. Still, they persisted nonetheless, taking down five competitors within the span of mere days. Sadly, however, the number of participants eventually grew larger once again, forcing them to drop out of contention entirely.
On the flip side, the remaining contestants became increasingly desperate. Many of them began using questionable tactics to ensure their survival, including cannibalism and suicide. Others opted to work together, either voluntarily or through force. Even so, none of them succeeded in reaching the end zone. The odds were stacked heavily against them, and their chances of victory were nonexistent. To put it bluntly, they had no choice but to concede defeat.
Eventually, the final round arrived. There were seven players remaining: Kaito Sena (myself), Ayame Shichijou, Akane Sakurai, Hoshino Hikaru, Tsubomi Kanzaki, the Red Knight, and Kazuki Kiriya. And unlike the rest of them, I knew exactly who my enemy was. It was the same person responsible for sending me that letter in the first place. Given the circumstances, it hardly mattered whether I defeated him or not. After all, he was probably dead by now anyway. What was important, however, was ensuring that I left the competition alive. That way, I could spend my share of the prize money on the materials I required to complete my quest.
Unfortunately, my hopes were dashed almost immediately upon learning that I would face off against Tsubomi Kanzaki in Round Six. Her unique skillset allowed her to swiftly dispatch her opponents, resulting in swift eliminations for all involved. Moreover, she often targeted weaker foes first, thereby guaranteeing herself a higher score. Furthermore, her spellcasting abilities provided additional advantages. Not only could she inflict lethal injuries on her enemies, but she could also heal herself at will. Combined with her unparalleled speed, it made her a dangerous opponent indeed. Fortunately, however, I possessed superior firepower compared to hers. In fact, I had more than enough to take advantage of her weaknesses.
Still, if I wanted to stand a chance of beating her, I would have to prepare carefully beforehand. As such, I began gathering information regarding her habits and strategies. At the same time, I trained harder than ever before, focusing primarily on improving my stamina, endurance, reflexes, agility, and coordination. I didn't want to die halfway through the contest. If possible, I intended to finish the job right away and live to see the results. Of course, I wasn't naive enough to believe that everything would turn out well. Nevertheless, I was determined to do my best, come hell or high water.
At long last, the final showdown arrived. Only six contestants remained: me, the Red Knight, Tsubomi Kanzaki, Kaito Sena, Hoshino Hikaru, and Ayame Shichijou. My goal was simple: survive until the very end. Whether or not I won depended entirely on how many lives remained between me and my foe. However, the situation took an unexpected twist when Tsubomi Kanzaki suddenly announced her intention to withdraw from the contest. Apparently, she felt that participating in the final match was unnecessary, and preferred to return to the outside world. Since she had already reached the end zone, there was nothing stopping her from doing so. As such, she forfeited her spot in the finals and withdrew from the competition altogether.
This prompted the organizers to call the Red Knight's name. This, however, led to another complication. Because he had finished in third place, he technically belonged in the finals. Thus, he had no reason to refuse his participation, especially since he stood to gain quite a bit from it financially. Unfortunately, this resulted in an awkward standoff, as he refused to participate unless the rules changed accordingly. As such, the organizers decided on a compromise. Rather than holding him accountable for finishing in third place, they simply removed him from consideration entirely. As a result, I was declared the winner.
Afterwards, I received a notification stating that I had earned one hundred thousand yen. More importantly, though, I was finally granted access to the Holy Sword. Now that I possessed the weapon, I could freely wield it at any point during the game. Granted, I wouldn't necessarily be invincible. After all, it wasn't like I could just go around slaughtering people indiscriminately. Instead, I would need to exercise restraint and choose my targets wisely. But the potential benefits outweighed the risks. After all, I had a lot riding on this contest. If necessary, I might even resort to cheating. For example, I could use the Holy Sword to temporarily enhance my stats and increase my survivability. Then again, it was possible that the organizers would detect such actions and penalize me accordingly. Hence, I resolved to proceed cautiously.
Regardless, I was happy with my decision. With the Holy Sword in hand, I could finally begin preparing for the grand finale. First and foremost, however, I would need to acquire some decent equipment. Thankfully, the game offered plenty of options for this purpose. In particular, there was a large variety of weapons ranging from small knives to massive axes. These ranged in power depending on what class you selected during character creation. Naturally, they all served different purposes; hence, it wasn't wise to assume that anything was inherently stronger than anything else.
Likewise, armor came in various forms, including leather pieces, metal plates, and chain mail. Each type of armor varied greatly in terms of durability and protection levels. Some types were practically unbreakable, whereas others proved vulnerable to damage. Most of them could withstand attacks from lower-level opponents without issue, but failed to hold up under prolonged assault. Conversely, others were designed specifically for combat, offering maximum protection at the expense of mobility. Regardless, they were invaluable in certain situations. For example, heavy plate armor could protect your torso and arms from harm, while light leather armor could shield vital areas such as the legs and neck.
Ultimately, the best approach would be to equip yourself with several sets of gear, varying in quality according to the environment. By doing so, I could tailor my defenses based on the challenges ahead. As such, I spent nearly half a day wandering through the labyrinths, collecting loot and equipping myself accordingly. Eventually, I settled on a set of leather gauntlets and pants, along with a sturdy wooden breastplate. All told, these items weighed less than ten kilograms, which suited me perfectly fine given my current level of fitness. At the same time, they cost roughly thirty thousand yen apiece. As expected, that amount represented a significant investment. Luckily, I had saved up quite a bit of money over the past few months, so I didn't feel compelled to rush into any hasty decisions. Instead, I planned to buy the equipment gradually, starting with the essentials and working my way up.
© Copyright 2022 Prefer Not to Say (prefernottosay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281455-Euterpes-One-Hour-Free-Write-Part-1