*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285840-Not-the-Hero
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #2285840
This is about grief
I’m sobbing, gasping for air as she’s pulled further and further from my hold. One by one her fingers slip from mine leaving them cold and empty. The tears are falling faster now, stinging as they burn their way down my cheeks. She holds my gaze with her blinding blue eyes as she searches my soul for its secrets. She seems to find what she’s looking for, closing her eyes and taking one small breath, before saying ‘I love you too’ and letting her hand slide from mine. All at once the world shatters beneath me and I yell ‘“A hero would sacrifice you to save the world. I’m not a hero!’ I reach forward to grab her by the collar, then pulling her closer I crash my lips to hers in a messy kiss. I’m grasping onto her shirt for dear life, using all my strength to hold her closer to my body. I can feel her heartbeat thumping against my chest, and can hear nothing but the sound of her heavy breathing. I’m so lost in the sensations she gives me that I don’t notice her being tugged away once more until it’s too late. With one final lurch, she’s taken from my life completely.

I feel nothing.

My soul is broken in two as my other half is gone for good. The only thing I’m aware of is the ear splitting noise that won’t stop. I grip my head with my hands wishing for the sound to end. It takes me a few minutes to figure out that it’s coming from me. I’m screaming. So loud. Slowly, I become aware of people around me, trying to get me to stop. But I can't. I won't. Because if I stopped I would have to confront reality. I would have to face that she was really gone. People are trying to move me from my spot on the ground. Trying to get me to be quiet and I realize I'm acting like a crazed animal. I'm snarling and spitting, pushing everyone away. At one point I actually bite somebody. I'm out of control. Insane without her. Finally I feel a sharp pain in my side. I'm confused before I see the needle on the ground beside me.

Then, the world goes dark.
© Copyright 2022 Juniper (juniper000 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285840-Not-the-Hero