*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286549-Couples
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2286549
Flash Fiction
Couples

“You’ll never believe what happened.”

“What?”

“Aren’t you going to try and guess?”

“No.”

“Why not?

“Why should I? You just said I’d never believe it, so how could I guess?”

“It’s part of the job!”

“Huh?”

“One person says, you’ll never believe what happened, and the other person guesses!”

“How about, one person says, you’ll never believe what happened, and then tells the other person.”

“What fun is that?”

“Is this supposed to be fun? Cause if it is, it isn’t working...”

“Because you’re no fun!”

“I am so fun! I fun! You just don’t seem to know what is fun and what isn’t fun.”

“Says who?”

“Says me!”

Silence filled the air. Maggie walked in. “Gosh I didn’t even know you two were here! What are you doing that’s keeping you so quiet?

They looked at each other, their argument suddenly seeming a bit on the childish side.

“I was telling Katie about them catching that cow down on Main Street.”

Jumping into embarrassment avoidance, Katie said, “Oh yes! He said I’d never believe it! And I wouldn’t have either!” and then she laughed.

“What was a cow doing on Main Street?” Maggie asked.

“I didn’t hear, I was gonna drive back and see what happened, but I stopped to get Katie to go with me.”

Katie took the cue and put down her dish towel, picking up her sweater. “Do you want to come Honey?” she asked.

“Oh no. You can tell me later, I need to finish my chores before have to pick up Teddy,” and she waved as they walked out.

Later to her husband, “Your parents are so easy going. I hope our relationship is like that, they never even argue!”

“They argue.”

“They do not! I’ve never seen them argue!”

“Oh, they argue...”
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286549-Couples