*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287006-When-Terror-Reigns
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Dark · #2287006
Chapter One: The Night Watch.
***Id love to know your opinions and if this is something that you would enjoy reading more of. I originally posted it on Wattpad and the second chapter is on its way. I hope you enjoy the story of Jack and the mysterious secrets roaming the halls of Batdorf Academy. Ps: this chapter is subject to editing.



I was hoping my nerves would have left me by now but as I fumble with the dial that's keeping me from the contents of my locker I realize just how nervous I am to be here. The halls smelled of sophistication. The university was after all a castle, so the grandness of it all was overwhelming. When I walked through the main entrance this morning it was as if I was opening a Romance novel for the first time. It was comforting and also left me trembling slightly. The walls in this castle held stories that have never been written. Now if only I could get the books that have been written out of this locker! I pulled so hard out of frustration I actually jolted backwards, right into some guy, throwing all of his books down directly on top of his - were those Louis Vuitton?

As the shock set in at the realization that if even the slightest scuff appeared on that suede, I'd be scrubbing his shoes for the rest of my life. Dread washed over me.

"Are you okay?" I heard a deep voice and I looked up to see Louis Vuitton holding concern in his eyes.

"Am I okay?" I asked astonished. "I just slammed into you." Louis Vuitton grinned.

"Yes, but I'm not the one who looks like she's just seen a ghost." He was right of course. I probably looked faint. Does he even care about the shoes? I didn't notice at first but someone had actually picked up all of his books and was holding them for him off to the side.

"Thank you for asking, but so long as you're okay Ill just be going now." I began to head down the hallway, I must be growing very late for class.

Then I hear, "Don't you still need in your locker?" He was right again. I sighed.

"What's your code?" I looked at the guy with a funny expression and then gave him my code hesitantly. No reason to struggle in front of an audience, plus I really needed to get to class. As he began to turn the dial on my lock I couldn't help but notice how crisp his uniform was, I wasn't aware that clothing could fit someone so perfectly. It was as if the royal blue fabric was tailored to his body.

"Here you are." He said as he smiled and bowed his head slightly towards my open locker. His milky, metallic grey eyes holding a connection with mine.

"Thank you." It almost sounded like a question escaping my mouth. I turned to leave. As interesting and handsome as he was I prefer to be on time for my classes.

"After all of the help I gave, do I at least get the honor of you telling me your name?"

"They call me Jack. Now, I really must go, thank you for your help." I grabbed all of my books hesitant to ever try my locker again and headed away from the boy with the really nice shoes and properly fitted uniform.

"My name is Nikolai." His voice echoed down the halls after me. I felt my lip curl slightly. Who the hell was this guy?

Looking back at my past first days of school, they all left me feeling a little strange. The first day of a prestigious college that you ended up attending late due to unforeseen circumstances was bound to be a little more strange. I was clearly the odd one out. My clothes were not pressed and they did not dance as gracefully around my curves as the other girls. My skirt was somehow longer and my curls loose and frizzy. I always thought of myself as attractive but here I just felt frumpy. Seriously, these girls had hairdressers and make up artists living in their walk in closet.

Thankfully, aside from the little run in with Mr. Louis Vuitton and the abominable locker my day had gone pretty smoothly. My literature class went exceptionally well, we read silently for 45 minutes and then had a 15 minute lecture about the contrasting views in the material. The other classes went by just the way I prefer, uninterrupted and drenched in normalcy. I still couldn't quite get over the sheer vastness of the university. To be inside an actual castle. I don't even know if it's possible to see everything it holds.

Today I am attending an after school club I ended up get stuck with. I had to have one after school activity on my transcripts and this was the only option I was provided when sent the paperwork. The only perk was that it was hosted in the library. My favorite place.

"Welcome!" I hear the most theatrical man greet me as I approach the tables we apparently congregate at.

"What is your name milady?" He opened his arms toward me as if I had just entered his circus.

"They call her Jack." A casually voiced trailed up from the back. It belonged to the guy with the nice shoes. His coffee colored curls framed his face perfectly.

"Is this true?" Circus man asked. I nodded.

"Tell us, why did you pick this particular group to join when registering to our sophisticated and more than elaborate school?" He must be a drama major I thought, and the purple looked really good on him.

"It was the only option left." The group in front of me chuckled. I looked around, I was standing in a room more beautiful than any room I'd ever stood in before.

Drama boy smiled, "Well, girl called Jack. Go take your seat next to Nikolai." He turned away from me. Filing through what looked like folders. I glanced over to the empty seat he suggested for me and I could see Nicolai was deep in conversation with a lady to his right. She also wore clothes which were pressed and tailored to her body.

I am so out of my element, I thought to myself.

I sat down in my chair and shifted uncomfortably. What kind of club was this? The Masqueraders. The name suggested tomfoolery to say the least. Drama boys blonde, almost silver hair shimmered under the bright library lights, his body language resembled a mad man in his lab right before a monster is created. He turned in his most theatrical way, "Hello peasants!" Everyone but myself chuckled. His purple button up and his school jacket were exceptionally fashionable.

"Firstly let's welcome our newest member, the one called Jack!" Suddenly the peers around me were cheering and clapping. This is a library, don't they know! He did his little bow and then regained control of the audience. What a showman!

"Jack do you know what it si we do here at this club?" Drama boy asked.

"The description said we were going to be passionate about things we believe in. Excuse me, but what is your name?" I had to know. Drama man cackled as if I had just told the funniest joke capable of being told in his lifetime.

"So, literal." He hissed.

"My name is," he paused, "Benny. And you are right, we are here to be passionate. Now everyone, take a folder. I will see you next week." He left the library, and I swear I could see glitter lingering in his path.

What the hell meeting did I just attend. This Nikolai must see the look of astonishment on my face because he says kindly, "Just read the folder."

And then as I began to leave he also tells me, "Not everyone gets into this club. Some people search for it longer than they're enrolled here. You should feel honored."

"Thank you, Nikolai." This again sounded more like a question. He was very handsome with his chocolate hair and his pressed shirt.

The next day went by much smoother. I had still yet to read the contents of the folder. The curiosity was burning inside of me but I was trying to get comfortable in my new surroundings. Surprisingly, I was able to swing a dorm room but I did have a roommate, who I haven't even had the chance of meeting yet. From what I can tell by her belongings we come from different worlds. Which, if we are being honest, I think I come from a different world than anyone here.

"Hey, Jack." It was Nikolai.

"Well, this is becoming a habit quickly." I didn't mean to sound annoyed I'm just not use to people paying any kind of attention to me what so ever.

"You're not very good with people are you?"

"No." I laughed.

"Did you read through your folder yet?" I stared at him.

"Should I have?"

"If you want to join us Saturday, then you better. We are going to be creating memories that last lifetimes."

"Somehow, you have intrigued me Nikolai."

"Well, if that's the case, once you read the folder and you decide you're going to participate, would you like to go with me?" I stopped walking and glanced at him with a curled lip.

"Why on earth?"

"Do you find me that appalling?" He questioned quickly and unconvinced. I could feel my cheeks grow blush.

"Not at all, Nikolai. I would love to accompany you Saturday to whatever it is I am attending."
Did he just sucker me into a social outing?

"Then it is settled, I will meet you at your dorm Saturday exactly one hour before the time it states to arrive. So read thoroughly or we shall be the talk of the town." He smiled, grabbed my hand, lowered his head and then spoke softly, "I believe this is where I leave you." He was again very right. This was the class I needed to be at. What could that folder possibly say. Who was this Nikolai fellow and why was he so intriguing? Why was he so interested in me?

My class load was so heavy it was only a matter of minutes before I forgot about my little encounter. The day disappeared through the pages and by time I returned to my dorm I nearly forgot about the agreement I made with handsome boy in the nice shoes. The folder! It was lying in my desk under the pile of literature I was tryin got catch up on. When I opened it up, to my surprise it looked like a ransom note. It clearly stated:

15651 Royal Way 9pm bring a date!

Then behind that a paper that read:

To those attending our Prestidigitation Ball you must know that the events held there shall be of the upmost secrecy. When you attend you attend with a whole heart and an open mind. The things you'll see will be astonishing, breathtaking and worth reliving again and again. Be honored you've been approved.
The Jester Everyone Loves,
Benny

What did I get myself into coming to this school? I rubbed my temple and tried to take in all of the events from this first few days here. I worked so hard to get to this moment. Between the death of my mother, the new school, and the very handsome guy who has seemed to take an interest in me - I feel like suddenly my path is changing course.

"What's got you hypnotized?" The snarky voice brought me back to the room. I looked up slightly embarrassed for my thoughts and seen what appeared as a proper delinquent standing at my door way.

"You must be Jackie!" She said with a frightening smile.

"You must be Antoinette." I said with a less than excited manner. She had flaming orange hair and freckles decked across her bullhorn pierced nose. Were those diamonds? Her ears also adorned jewels of every kind and she unlike anyone else I've met today was covered in tattoos without any effort of hiding them. Her uniform was also pressed. I'm gonna have to get an iron.

"No one calls me that anymore. Just Toni! And, sorry I've been gone. They weren't sure if they were going to let me back in!" She laughed and trust fell directly onto her messy bed. She had one of those smiles that went on forever and traveled into her eyes. If she was a character in a book you'd never be sure if she was good or evil.

"I hear they let you in on our little club?" She said slyly while hanging upside down on her bed to face me.

"How'd you swing that one princess?" She spoke to me as if she wanted to eat me and it was rather unsettling.

"What club?"

"The Masquerade Mad-hatters of course."

"I just filled it out on the paperwork they sent me. I didn't have many options considering I started later than anticipated, it was actually the only one left." She raised an eyebrow.

"And why is that pumpkin?" She definitely wanted to eat me.

"Probably because all the other classes were -" she cut me off.

"Why were you LATE poptart?"

"Oh, well, my mother died suddenly." That was the first time anyone had asked me to voice that out loud. Suddenly, it became very real again.

"I hate that for you." She looked sincere.

"Sorry, I gotta go grab something I think I may have forgotten. It was nice to me you." I stuttered hopelessly.

Grabbing my bag, I headed swiftly out of the dorm. My feet led me to the library where I found a chair in a secluded corner and begin to work diligently on my schoolwork.

Mom, I thought, as my pencil burned through the pages. I know death is inevitable but I always assumed it was further away. Now that she's gone, I see it everywhere. It was as if it was with us the entire time. Lurking in the shadows, following us around when we weren't paying attention. Once you know you can't ever unsee. The way she left, I had never seen so much red in one place before. I missed her terribly.

Now that I'm not there I am thinking about how I shouldn't have left Antoinette back there alone. She's probably stifling through my things. Trying to figure out the best way to cook me. She was a mixture of wicked beauty and sheer terror. Something I always admired in my storybook characters but now that it has been brought to life it's a lot to take in. I had managed to get through a few chapters and overcome a few distractions. My mom said I was unlike most children because I studied as a way to stay calm. I'm still so shocked at how it all happened. How can someone do that to another person?

"Hey, Jack, wake up." A hushed yet forceful voice called me from my slumber. It was Nikolai. He looked spooked.

"You really mustn't be out here at this hour. Your dorm is much safer." He held out his hand. How were his eyes so bright this late at night. I must still be dreaming. I grabbed his hand. And he led me towards my dorm room.

"She's gonna eat me Nikolai." I was still half asleep and thinking about Toni.

He stopped and looked at me.

"Who?" He seemed so concerned.

"My roommate, if anyone here eats people, it's definitely her." He chuckled at me.

"Toni doesn't eat people, she just likes it if you think she does." They must know each other.

"Three am is a particularly bad time to be roaming the halls here at this institute. It's witching hour you know." His smile at three am while I was half asleep and didn't have my wits about me was intoxicating.

We approached my door.

"I guess I should go back to bed then, thank you for the company." Then I thought suddenly, "If it's so dangerous, why are you out and about?"

"I am part of the night watch, of course."
"Of course." I repeat unconvinced.

"May your slumber be sweet, Jack." He turned and walked away from me disappearing into the dark.
I entered my dorm and as I turned to close the door I swear I heard him whisper goodnight. I could be dreaming but he was quite the gentlemen.

Toni was fast asleep and looked rather dazzling in her peacefulness. I never noticed before, but she had a tattoo on the right side of her face, right along the hair line, just above the temple. It looked like writing but I couldn't quite make it out from here. I wasn't going to get to close to her whether she was asleep or awake so, I sighed, climbed into my nightgown, and snuggled into bed. I whispered goodnight to the photo of my mom I kept on my bedside table and thanked the stars outside my window for allowing me to be here in this moment at this place. That's when sleep met me once again.

The next few days flew by. When I wasn't consumed by my studies I caught myself straddling the line between anxiety and excitement for this upcoming Saturday night. It was tomorrow and I wasn't even sure what to wear. Nikolai hadn't said much to me since the incident in the library. He too seemed to be absorbed by his work. A nod and a hello here and there. Never failing to hold a door open for me if the opportunity arose. I was always hoping to overhear his conversations. Maybe to get to know him better or just to listen to him speak. Which, he speaks in such a cryptic manner I'm not quite sure whether to take him seriously in what he says or to disregard it as dramatic flair. I am at an arts school.

I finished my last class of the day and began to head back towards the library. There was a book I wanted to check out in regards to the history of the school. In the town I grew up in we use to hear tales about the people who had founded this place. The stories consisted of mystery, magic, and death. It was Over a century old and has turned out to be one of the most dignified Arts Schools to date. My mother cried when we received my acceptance letter, I puked. It meant I would have to fly hundreds of miles away and leave my mother behind. Things definitely ended up slightly different but here I am. The Professor in home room mentioned the book in one of his rants and it hasn't left my mind all day. I must see it.

Surprisingly, it wasn't hard to find, in fact, it looked as if it had never been opened. The pages were pristine. No dog ears or blemishes from dirty fingers. I checked it out for an extended period and hustled on.

"Where are you heading in such a hurry?" Nikolai stood at the exit of the library, a short girl stood with him. Her hair matched his but hung past her waist. They even had the same eyes. Almost shimmering with a metallic liquid. She was so slender and her features sharp.

"My dorm." I said with a smile. "Are you going to introduce to me to your friend?"

"Sister." She corrected me.

"My name is Allyson, and my brother forgets I'm here sometimes."

"That's not at all true Ally. Jack this is Allyson, my sister!" He said with a half smile and complete sarcasm.

"It's nice to meet you Jack." She held out her hand in the most graceful way, I grasped it firmly and let go.

"Nicklaus, I am happy I ran into you. Is there a dress code to this thing tomorrow?" His sister shot him a questioning glance.

"Wear a dress that makes you feel beautiful and most importantly comfortable. I'll be wearing black."

"I'll be wearing red." Allyson said as she twirled her hair in her long beanstalk fingers. The resemblance was striking. Same chocolate brown Jessie, same metallic eyes.

"I'll bet you look astonishing in red Allyson."

"Brother, I think I like this one."

"Well, I'm sure she must be going. Jack?"

"Goodnight, Jack. It was a pleasure meeting you." Allyson gave me her warmest smile.

"Jack, goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow."

"It was wonderful to meet you as well. Goodnight to you both."

The dorm was empty when I arrived. I sat the beautifully bound book on my nightstand next to mom and took a seat in my bed. I was too overcome with emotions to even look at the book. What in the hell was I going to wear tomorrow?

I spent the majority of Saturday morning shuffling between staring at different articles of clothing and homework. I really didn't get a chance to date in high school and I was always hoping my mom would be here for this part. I tried to think about what she would tell me to wear and then it dawned on me.

The black lace hugged at my breasts making them look larger than they really were, the grey satin underneath was peaking out ever so slightly between the intricate designs. The black ribbon synched at my waist and the length was slightly provocative but the dancing black satin framed my hips nicely. I paired the dress with a set of matte grey heels. The ones with a strap around your ankle and a small black clasp. I wore a silver choker, a small black diamond adorned gently in the center with a silver bracelet that matched.I wore my hair pinned back, side bangs softly cupping my face and I threw on my mother iconic makeup style. I used to tell her it was a gothic Marilyn Monroe. My lips were a shade of dark red almost black and my winged eyeliner brought the blue out in my less than average eyes. My mother may not have been there with me tonight, but she was definitely there in spirit.

Knock, knock, knock -

I inhaled deeply and approached the door.

"Good evening, Jack." Nikolai held out his hand but he never broke from my gaze. He wore black like he said but it was complimented by a steel grey button up shirt and cuffs along with a patterned tie in the same shades. A grey handkerchief lined his breast pocket.

"Good evening." I replied a little flustered at his appearance.

"I must say, Jack, you're adorable in your school uniform but you're astonishing in this dress." His eyes traced up and down my figure. I could feel my face grow warm.

"Thank you." I said bashfully. Suddenly I was more nervous than I remember ever being before.

"Our ride is up front. My sister and her date are also riding with us, I hope you don't mind?" That actually relieved me some.

"Not at all, your sister seemed nice." He smiled as I spoke and the replied, "She'd be thrilled to hear you said so. Be careful, she might actually eat you." I chuckled. Which I don't think I've done in quite some time.

He led me swiftly down the hall and down two flights of stairs. Awaiting was an Audi, this one was extended and fit at least six people just in the back seat. It resembled a compact limo. Nikolai held the door open and gestured for me to get in. He walked around to the other side. Alyson and her date sat across from me. He was wearing a black suit and a red shirt underneath, and she was in a luxurious red dress that accentuated all of the right parts of her, he lipstick matched and she wore a rose in her hair right above her ear.

"Hi Jack, it's nice to see you again."

"Alyson, hi. That dress looks more beautiful on you than I imagined."

"I dress to impress." She smirked and tossed me a wink. Nikolai slid in beside me. His thigh pressing up against mine. Forcing me to feel the warmth of his body through the fabric of my dress. He smelled delicious. I took a few deep breaths and he laid his hand palm up on my thigh beckoning for me to take his hand. So I did. Something about it felt so natural. Somewhere throughout the week I decided he was trustworthy. Yet, my heart was racing. He smiled when I responded positively and I watched him as he and Aly's date conversed. From what I gathered his name was Theodore. His father was part of the school board and there were some changes being made that neither him nor Nikolai seemed fond of. They were so intense with their discussion, yet Nikolai never let go of my hand. His postured never swayed. He spoke strictly and without much gesture. They were vague enough to leave me lost but also highly interested as to why whatever it was they were discussing was so important to them.

"Enough discussing business Theo. Us ladies are bored to tears." Aly was clearly annoyed.

"I don't see you crying Al." Nik remarked. Aly shook her head with a smile.

"You are my only equal match brother."

"That's because you taught me everything you know." Aly rolled her eyes and began to stare out the window with excitement. A hush grew over us.

There were twinkling lights in the distance, along with music. The volume slowly increasing the longer we drove.

Nik held my hand slightly tighter as he brought his face close to mine and whispered in my ear, "Are you ready to change your life?" The car came to a stop, he let go of my hand and then he opened the door. What could I have possibly gotten myself into?
© Copyright 2022 Jane Gray (high54samantha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287006-When-Terror-Reigns