*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287058-Life-huh
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2287058
Flash Fiction
Life, huh

Mom walked in the door as the usual havoc was building in the kitchen.

“I can’t find my blue jacket!”

“I didn’t take it!”

“Maybe a burglar took it, a burglar with terrible taste in clothes!”

“The car won’t start.” Mom said.

Panic ensued. “I can’t be late! I studied for that biology test for two hours! I won’t remember that stuff if I have to take a make-up!” from Jeannie.

“Jonathan is going to be there early!! Alice said she’d get us into a conversation! Now I won’t be there!” from Rose.

“Can we just stay home?” from Frankie...

“I’m sorry about your plans,” Mom said, “and no Frank, you can’t just stay home. You can go get the charger in the garage and help me. Jean, call the school and tell them you will all be there soon, and Alice... Didn’t I just hear you say Johnathan was a jerk just yesterday?”

“Mom!” they all said at once!

“Don’t Mom me! This is a family and we are going to do this together!” Mom said in her end of conversation voice. They all left the kitchen.

Jeanne passed the biology test. Jonathan came over at lunch to ask Jeannie why she was late, and was impressed about them “fixing the car themselves.” They started hanging around together. Frankie knew she’d say no to staying home, just wanted to jab at his sisters. He had a poker game going at recess and didn’t want to miss it.

Eventually Jeanne actually became a Marine Biologist. Rose and Jonathan hung out together but just as good friends. He introduced her to her future husband three years later. Frankie won seven million dollars on a scratch ticket when he was twenty-eight. But he’d spent every penny before he hit thirty-five.

Life, huh.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287058-Life-huh