*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287541-The-Love-of-His-Life
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #2287541
True love can be a very one sided affair......
THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE

The noise in here made it hard for him to think. Days blended into one and the nights were spent staring up at the bedframe above him trying to block out the sounds around him. It was never dark enough to sleep. Sleep would bring him a release from his thoughts and allow him to conjure her up again.
His Maggie. The love of his life.

Phil
Phil looked around the pub. Awkward people either stood in corners nursing drinks or tapped impatiently on the bar waiting to be served.
He almost turned around to leave. His mum had spotted the advert, waving it under his nose while he tried to eat the breakfast, she'd made him. She cajoled him into going along.
"It'll be fun Phil. Get you out and about and meeting new people."
At this she'd given him a meaningful look which Phil had ignored. He was painfully aware of what she was alluding to but chose not to give it a response.
He'd shrugged and piled some more beans onto the last rasher of bacon. Usually if he was unresponsive enough, his mum would move on to other topics but this time she seemed to be determined to stick with this one.
Eventually, Phil decided it was easier to just agree and here he was. Standing in a pub full of strangers and about to take part in his first speed dating event.
Joining the group at the bar he ordered himself a pint of real ale and checked out the possibilities while he sipped it. He'd have a drink and if it still felt wrong, he'd just slip out before the farce started.
Most of the women looked overdressed and he could smell the desperation. On the whole they were in their late thirties to early forties, and he imagined they were at the point of their biological clocks ticking so loudly they could hear nothing else some days.
His eye skated over the women. A chubby blonde with a low cut, sequined dress that was a size too small. The very tall brunette who would be at least 4 inches taller than him even without the heels she was wearing.
Phil had got halfway through his pint when the door was flung open. The cold wind from outside blew into the room as she entered and somehow it seemed an appropriate entrance for someone like her.
He judged her to be slightly on the short side at 5ft 3 but with curves that made his stomach clench. Her heart shaped face was framed by wild auburn curls and her wide spaced, green eyes flashed around the room until they alighted on the chubby blonde.
Hurrying towards her, they hugged, the blonde pointed to the sign in book and the auburn-haired beauty went over to add her details.
Phil decided he'd stay.

Maggie
Rushing into the pub with only minutes to spare Maggie quickly spotted Nell, and then hastily scrawled her details into the signing in book while Nell got them both drinks at the bar. She'd only just finished writing when the landlord rang the bell and announced it was time to start.
All the women took seats at individual tables, in the centre was a number which would correspond with the number that each man was given. He'd then sit down at that table, and they'd get five minutes exactly before the bell signalled that he needed to move on to the next one along.
Maggie had a quick glance around the room. Nell had insisted she come along tonight, and Maggie had reluctantly agreed. Not long out of a relationship that had ended with her catching him screwing a woman in their bed, Maggie hadn't felt up to it, but Nell had insisted.
"You can't keep moping around over Harvey. I need a man; you need a man. Let's just give it a go. If nothing else, it'll be a laugh."
Couple of possibilities, she mused. There was a tall, well-built man just coming out of the toilets and a shorter, dark-haired guy who was nursing a pint and leaning on the bar.
The night flew by. When she got paired with an intense man who talked about his mother for almost the whole five minutes, she exchanged an amused look with Nell, who rolled her eyes behind his back. It was also a definite no, to the man who was clearly still in love with his ex-wife, and to the one who was obsessed with fishing and had spent the whole time showing her photos on his phone of his favourite catches.
It turned out that the tall man was called Rob. Chiselled face, carefully styled hair and casually expensive clothes. He explained that a friend of his had asked him to come along and hold his hand and they both laughed as she told him she was also here with her friend. This time, the five minutes seemed to be up too quickly, and she was pleased to see he was reluctant to leave her table too.
The shorter guy she'd seen at the bar earlier slid into the seat Rob had just vacated and when he didn't speak to introduce himself, she jumped in and took the lead.
"Hi, I'm Maggie. I'm here with my friend Nell."
The man stared at her, a little too intensely for comfort, thought Maggie.
"I'm Phil."
There was an awkward silence and Maggie again felt impelled to break it.
"I'm a nurse at the local hospital. What do you do Phil?"
Phil stared into his pint glass for a moment as though the answer was lurking in the amber liquid.
"I work in a warehouse."
More uncomfortable silence and this time Maggie decided to wait it out and see if he could manage to start a conversation by himself. If not this was destined to be an even longer five minutes than the one she'd spent with the mummy's boy earlier.
"Nursing must be interesting. What ward do you work on?"
Finally, thought Maggie.
"I work in A&E. It's definitely interesting, often busy and always rewarding."
Phil nodded, "I worked as a porter at the hospital for a while. I don't remember seeing you there though."
Just then the landlord rang the five-minute bell and Maggie breathed a sigh of relief. Phil stared at her for a moment before passing a slip of paper across the table then moving on.
Maggie glanced at it quickly before the next one sat down; it was his mobile number. Seeing him looking over at her she made a show of folding it up and pushing it into her jeans pocket. I'll chuck it away later, she thought.

Phil
Phil had felt a buzz of excitement and anticipation as he'd sat down opposite the auburn beauty who he now knew was called Maggie.
He couldn't believe how well it had gone. Maggie, it turned out, was a nurse. His mum would love that, he thought excitedly. In fact, he was so sure she'd felt the same fission of electricity that he had, he'd passed her his number before he left.
The rest of the night was a blur that went too slowly. Every other woman he spoke to was a grey, shadow in comparison to Maggie.
At the end of the night everyone had hung around to finish their drinks, and he noted, to also swap numbers. He saw that tall bloke corner Maggie by the end of the bar. She looked uncomfortable and when she let him type his number into her phone Phil understood this was just to be polite. A woman like Maggie wouldn't want to just brush someone off, and the tall man looked as though he was getting into her personal space.
Phil was tempted to go over and give her an excuse to get away from him, but just as he was about to approach the tall man air kissed Maggie and her friend and swept out of the pub leaving a draft of cold air behind him.
He put his empty glass down on the bar, he'd only turned away for a moment but when he looked back it was just in time to see Maggie's back as she walked out of the door.

Maggie
Nell teased her friend as they headed out of the pub and onto the cold, windswept street outside. There was a heaviness to the air that signalled rain, or if it got any colder, snow.
"Looks as though you pulled the prize as usual Maggie"
Maggie rolled her eyes, "I guess you mean Rob?"
"So, are you going to call him?"
Maggie shrugged, "I might text him. Just something casual and see where it goes from there."
Maggie blushed as Nell burst out laughing at her faked nonchalance.
"At least we managed to shake off that strange bloke, I saw him slip you a bit of paper?"
Maggie shook her head, "his number. I don't see myself using it though!"
Nell linked arms with Maggie as they strode down the street
"Come on slow poke. Get a shift on, it's freezing out here."
They quickened their pace, speed walking towards Maggie's house.
Once home they poured a glass of wine each and curled up in front of the open fire. Nell was giving an accurate, and hilarious, impersonation of the man who talked about his mother. Maggie had laughed so hard her side hurt and tears were pouring down her cheeks.
Getting up to put another log on the fire she glanced at the window and noticed it had started snowing. Soft, white flakes were illuminated by the streetlamp across the road. Maggie felt a small child's excitement and ran to the window.
Looking across the street she could see the silhouette of a figure standing under the light, right across from her house. Whoever it was seemed to be staring right at her window, but by the time she'd called Nell across to see, they'd gone.

Phil
Phil couldn't believe that Maggie & her friend were going to walk home on their own. When he'd seen her leaving, he'd hastily rushed outside hoping to catch up with her, but he'd been too late. Maggie and her blonde friend were arm in arm striding up the road together. He could hear them laughing uproariously at something.
Making an impulsive decision he decided to follow them. It wasn't safe to be out alone at night, he rationalised to himself. Keeping to the shadows so he didn't alarm her he tracked her all the way to her house.
He stood under the lamp across the road and watched them go in. He saw through the window that there was an open fire burning in the room. The flames gave Maggie's face a warm glow and the ends of her auburn curls shone in the firelight. He was so fascinated by this picture he didn't realise it had started snowing at first.
Maggie's face appeared at the window and for a second it was as though their eyes had met. He felt the jolt of electricity and knew that she'd felt it too. She turned away and Phil pulled up his hood and started on his way home.

Maggie
Rob had responded to her text by asking if she'd like to meet for a drink. They'd agreed a time, day and place and now Maggie was nervously stood outside the pub. She didn't want to be the first to arrive, to her that would feel desperate. But she also didn't want to be so late it was disrespectful and rude. How to meet both requirements, she wasn't sure.
Eventually, seeing that it was now five minutes past the time they were due to meet up she pushed open the door and scanned the customers to see if Rob was among them.
She caught his eye, he was sat a table and already nursing a pint of lager, there was a glass of white wine in front of the empty chair.
"I remembered this was your drink, I hope it was okay to order for you?"
Maggie nodded gratefully and took a sip as soon as she'd sat down.
"Apologies for being late." Maggie smiled at him, but his return look was more serious.
"Five minutes I believe."
Maggie hoped he was joking rather than having a dig and there was a moment of awkwardness before the conversation started flowing between them.
Rob was an estate agent but was at pains to reassure her that he wasn't one of the ones that couldn't be trusted. They talked about his job and her job and then mutual places they'd been locally.
Maggie had insisted that it was her turn to go to the bar for a round. Rob had already bought the first three drinks and she liked to pay her own way. Rob laughingly agreed that she could take a turn.
She placed her order at the bar and was waiting for Rob's lager when she spotted a familiar face among the crowds. Scanning her memory, she realised it was Phil from the speed dating night. He of the awkward conversation and equally awkward moment of palming her his unwanted number.
Before she could look away and pretend, she hadn't seen him he caught her eye and gave a small, friendly wave. Maggie nodded in return and gave a tight smile. Luckily Rob's pint had shown up just then so she could head back to the table.
About five minutes later Maggie heard someone clearing their throat next to her and looked round to see Phil was standing next to the table, holding his pint and bobbing from foot to foot. Trying to stop herself from sighing in annoyance she raised an eyebrow and waited for him to speak. He coughed again.
"I thought I recognised you. Maggie, isn't it?"
Maggie nodded, "and you're Phil."
She noticed that Rob was looking a little irritated at the interruption, he cast a stern look at Phil and then thrust out his hand.
"I'm Rob. I was also at the speed dating night. Me and Maggie were just having a quiet drink together........" Rob tailed off clearly hoping that Phil would get the hint. Phil didn't.
"I remember you. Do you mind if I take a seat for a moment? Looks as though all the other tables are taken."
Without waiting for a reply Phil pulled out the spare chair, sat down and carefully placed his pint on a beer mat. Maggie glanced around the pub and could see at least two or three empty tables.
Again, there was an awkward silence. Whoever coined the phrase, two's company but three's a crowd was spot on, thought Maggie uncomfortably.
Phil noisily slurped the last of his pint and covered his mouth to muffle a burp. Rob winced.
"I'll go get us all another round, shall I?" Phil was already stood up and fumbling in his pockets for his wallet.
Rob made a show of looking at the time on his large, ostentatious watch.
"I'd love to Phil but it's getting late and me and Maggie have a booking we have to get to."
Maggie blushed at being put on the spot with an outright lie and looked away as she nodded.
"Oh, go on. One more won't hurt."
Rob put his empty glass back on the table, firmly enough to make a noise but not so hard it drew attention.
"I'm afraid not Phil." Turning to Maggie he held out her coat for her to slip on
"We don't want to be late; we're going to have to rush as it is."
Swept up in the moment Maggie found herself being ushered out of the pub. Glancing back through the window she could see Phil was still sat at their vacated table staring morosely at his empty glass.

Phil
When Phil had seen Maggie heading out dressed up to the nines, he'd followed her. He watched as she waited outside the pub nervously and shook his head sadly. She must've felt pushed into it and now wasn't sure how to get out of it, he thought.
He'd watched through the window as she'd gone in and made a beeline for the table where Rob was waiting with a drink for her. Phil shook his head. Everyone knew that an independent woman like Maggie would expect to be asked what she wanted, definitely an error on Rob's part.
Phil decided that his best course of action would be to go in and have a drink himself, that way he could be there if Maggie needed him.
Standing at the other end of the bar he watched as she laughed and joked with Rob and admired how well she played her part when she needed to. He was about to finish up and leave her to it when he saw her stand up and take the empty glasses to the bar. While she waited for the pint to be poured, she looked around the pub and then caught his eye. Phil waved and was pleased to see her smile and nod at him.
Phil took that gesture as an invite to join her, so he picked up what remained of his pint and headed over.
He noticed the relief on Maggie's face when she heard him clear his throat but also that she was polite enough to her companion to pretend that she hadn't asked him over. Phil played along and explained that there were no other free tables, he saw Maggie look around and that she'd seen the lie in his words. When she didn't say anything, he realised that she was conspiring with him.
The conversation was a bit awkward. Rob wasn't an easy man to talk to and when he thought Maggie wasn't looking, he was shooting glares at Phil.
Noticing that Maggie had almost finished her glass of wine Phil hopped up and offered to get the next round. He felt obliged to include Rob in this, although he was actually hoping that Rob might get the hint and leave.
Phil was therefore surprised when Rob refused on behalf of himself and Maggie and then claimed that they had a booking to get to. He'd seen the confusion on Maggie's face and how she blushed when asked to lie so he knew it wasn't true.
Rob had then scooped up Maggie's coat and made her put it on before ushering her out of the pub. Phil had hesitated, unsure if he should follow them and make sure Maggie was okay. He saw her glance in the window at him and he read the sadness in her expression as she left him sat alone.

Maggie
Maggie slipped off her shoes and rubbed her aching feet. She was grabbing a quick break in the staff room during a rare lull, it had been full on earlier and her feet were killing her. Hobbling over to the kettle to make a coffee she mused on her week so far. The first date with Rob had gone well. He actually had taken her to a restaurant after the pub, but it had been as a result of Phil showing up rather than a planned end to the night.
All things considered; Maggie was pleased with how things were going. The restaurant had been classy but not overly so and the food was reasonably priced and decent.
She hadn't seen Rob again since, as she'd explained to him, she was working back-to-back shifts the rest of the week, but they had arranged to meet up tonight after work.
The rest of the shift was hectic, and time flew by. Rob was hanging around the waiting room and she noticed a couple of the nurses nudge each other when they caught sight of him.
The evening was lovely, Rob was charming and if occasionally he came across with a touch of chauvinism, Maggie thought it was a small fault when the rest of the package was so good. In some ways it was nice that he wanted to pull out her chair for her, take care of the bill and he was always ready with a compliment. The end of her last relationship had knocked her confidence and his praise was a balm to her self-esteem.
She was probably imaging things, but Maggie thought she'd seen Phil a couple of times. Just a face in the crowd or a glance as she walked up the road to and from shifts but then when she went for a second look he'd be gone.

Phil
Maggie was working too hard, he thought as he followed her to the hospital at 6am. He knew from the last few days that she'd be staying at work until 9pm when he'd follow her home. Just to make sure she got back okay, he thought, not that he was creepy and stalky or anything.
She'd been out on one more date with that Rob. He'd taken her to a restaurant again and Phil had watched as he'd pulled out her chair and made a big deal about paying the bill. He was sure Rob would describe himself as a gentleman, but Phil could see through him. He was a walking, talking, "red flag" of behaviours.
Phil had occasionally tracked Rob and was fairly sure that he was seeing at least two other women as well as Maggie. The day before, Rob had met a tall, willowy blonde, he'd gone into her house and then stayed there overnight. Phil had made a note of the address and times and description in case the opportunity ever arose to tell Maggie.
Maggie
Maggie was feeling irritated with Nell. They rarely fell out, but this was one of those times when Maggie was tempted to put a bit of distance between them.
It was over Rob. Nell had sworn blind that she'd seen him smooching with a tall, willowy blonde who apparently looked like a super model. Nell had been on a break from work and heading out for a sandwich when she'd come across them outside a restaurant. Maggie thought she was exaggerating; it was probably a client. She'd got the impression that Nell had got used to having her to herself and wasn't keen on sharing her friend with her new fella.
When she'd tentatively asked Rob he'd shaken his head and explained they weren't "smooching" at all.
"That's Tiff. She's my sister's best friend. I gave her a friendly hug and a peck on the cheek as I always do."
Maggie had blushed, ashamed that she'd questioned him, and Rob had reassured her
"Nell's just being a good friend and looking out for you. Don't be mad with her. I wish I had a friend like her."
Maggie was still annoyed though, especially as Nell wouldn't accept what Rob had said and was constantly picking holes in it. Nell was also concerned about that weirdo from the speed dating.
"You keep saying you're seeing that bloke, Phil everywhere too. That's stalking Maggie. You might need to go to the police."
Maggie felt Nell was overreacting and told her so, to which Nell had copped the hump and stropped off home.
Maggie was wondering if she should message her and try and smooth things over, but she was too annoyed at the moment.
I'll leave it until the morning, she thought. We'll have both calmed down enough to talk about it properly and perhaps see each other's points of view.

Phil
Phil clenched his fists and punched the wall.
His mother immediately shouted up to him.
"What's the matter? Are you okay? What was that noise?"
Phil clenched his jaw, "nothing. I dropped something that's all."
Taking several deep breaths calmed him down, he paced the floor thinking about what he'd overheard.
He'd been keeping an eye on his Maggie, just making sure she got home okay or checking on she was doing. This particular day she'd met up with her friend Nell at the caf
Over coffee and cake, they'd gossiped about programmes they both liked, a recent book that Maggie had read and how work was going.
Phil had enjoyed the conversation, every time he overheard them together, he learned something new about Maggie. Then the conversation had turned to Rob, and he was pleased to hear Nell tell her friend about seeing him with that blonde. Phil was pretty sure that Maggie would be outraged but far from it, she seemed irritated with Nell for telling her. Phil was thinking that at least the seed of doubt was planted, and that Maggie would start to realise what he was, when the conversation turned to him.
Phil was uncomfortable when he heard Nell raise his name and then she called him that "weirdo" Phil was fuming. How dare she?
Listening in he heard her advising Maggie to go to the police and accuse him of stalking. Phil was indignant. He was not stalking. He was looking out for her. It was what people did for the ones they loved.
Nell had clearly not had anyone care about her like that because she was acting as though what Phil was doing was wrong. He felt a flash of panic.
What if Maggie took Nell's advice? What if she went to the police and he wasn't allowed to see her anymore? Phil's blood froze in his veins and his heart pounded like a drum but by the time he got home his fear had turned to anger.
How dare she? How dare she say those things about him? Phil was fuming. If it carried on, he'd have to consider if Nell was a good influence on his Maggie.

Maggie
After avoiding Nell for a couple of days and ignoring her texts she'd calmed down enough to give herself a stern talking to. Nell was her best friend. She always had Maggie's best interests at heart and although on this occasion she was wrong, Maggie didn't want to lose her.
She sent Nell a message Hey there, sorry I haven't replied. I've been so busy. Meet up for drinks later?
Maggie was relieved to see Nell's reply ding back almost immediately
Missed you! Yes please. Tonight, at mine? Come round about 9pm and bring a bottle!
Maggie grinned and replied that she was looking forward to it. Feeling better now she'd sorted things out with her friend she found herself singing out loud as she pottered around the house. Maggie was having her first day off for a while and was planning to enjoy it. First some chores and then some well-deserved R&R before a long hot bath and then off to Nell's.
Maggie stopped off at the supermarket on route and splurged on a more expensive wine than she'd usually take. Sort of an apology, she thought as she carried out of the shop.
At Nell's she was surprised to see the house in darkness, Nell usually left at least the porchlight on, but it was pitch dark and only the moon occasionally lit up the entrance when the clouds drifted away.
Maggie rang the bell. No answer. Maggie frowned; it really wasn't like Nell. Even if she was out, she'd have left a light on. After ringing a couple more times and even knocking on the living room window Maggie called Nell's mobile. Hearing it ring inside the house Maggie frowned. Nell never went anywhere without her phone; it was practically attached to her palm surgically.
Maggie used her own mobile to light the way around the back of the house where she knew she could find the spare key to the backdoor. Nell had shown her where she kept it in case of an emergency and Maggie was now grateful, she had.
Feeling under the "fake" stone by the doorstep her hand landed on the cold metal, and she fumbled it into the lock. Twisting the key, she heard the satisfying click of the lock turning. Turning the handle, she pushed the door open.
The kitchen was in darkness too and Maggie felt around on the wall until she found the light switch. The lights were set to dimmer and at first the room looked uninhabited too, dark shadows stretched out from the corners and Maggie shivered. The heating seemed to be off too, definitely not like Nell who felt the cold and kept the thermostat turned up to at least 20 in the winter.
Maggie felt her way across the room planning to check the living room next. As she reached the other side of the room her foot tapped against something soft and pliable on the floor. Reaching down to move whatever it was out of her way she jumped as she felt a warm, sticky substance and then laughed at herself. Nell had probably spilt something and not bothered to clean it up properly, she thought, so like her, she was the world's worst housekeeper.
Twisting the dimmer switch up to illuminate the room Maggie looked down.
And wished she hadn't.

The police had been quick to respond. The first officer into the kitchen had come back out looking green around the gills. He'd jumped on his radio and requested CID and the forensic team before shooting her a suspicious look.
Maggie was sitting on Nell's favourite armchair, her head on her knees as she tried to control her urge to vomit.
The techno-coloured image in her head of her best friend laying crumpled on the floor surrounded by the blood that had poured out of her slit throat just wouldn't go away. Nell's eyes had been wide and staring blindly at the ceiling.
Maggie could hear officer #1 updating into his radio. She was sure he was trying to be discrete, but his voice was deep and resonating and she could hear what he was saying all too clearly.
"Yes sir. The woman's tongue has been cut out. No sir, I haven't found it."
Maggie was losing the battle not to be sick. Her beautiful Nell. Her throat sliced open and her tongue, oh god, her tongue.

Phil
His mum had left the morning paper next to his coffee. The front page was full of the murder, no names, he noted.
He'd watched Maggie as she'd let herself into Nell's house and he'd heard the scream as Maggie had seen what awaited her inside. Poor Maggie. It must have been a terrible shock. He wished he could've approached her, talked to her and helped her get over it, but the police were there so quickly he felt it wasn't a good idea to show himself.
Plenty of time, he reassured himself, he'd wait until the right moment and then he'd make his move.

The bang at the door when it came made Phil jump. He peered out of his bedroom window and could see the squad cars, flashing lights and police officers outside his house. He watched as his mother opened the front door.
The first officer flashed his warrant card and pushed past into the hall. Phil heard their boots thumping up the stairs and then his bedroom door was flung open.
The handcuffs were cold on his wrists, they were pulled tight, and he could feel them scrapping against his skin. In a blur he heard them read him his rights. He managed a nod in response to the question on if he'd understood them.
By the time he was led down the stairs the house was full of uniforms and white suited people. They were turning his mum's house upside down and his mum was crying. Her head in her hands, sobbing and shaking her head in denial.
"Found it Gov" the shout came from the team that was searching the kitchen. A white suited man approached, he was holding a clear, plastic, evidence bag in front of him. Inside was something meaty, pale pink and white but not distinguishable.
The officer that was taking him out curled his lip in disgust and shoved Phil from behind.
"There's nothing I hate more than perverts and sickos like you" he hissed in Phil's ear.

Rob
Maggie was curled up in his arms, her eyes were all puffy from crying and her face was blotchy. He was disgusted to see that her nose had been running and there was a bubble of snot blowing out of one nostril.
When she looked up, he put back his caring face. The one that smiled softly at her and made her sniff back her tears. He rubbed between her shoulder blades and stroked her hair.
"They found her tongue at Phil's house you know. Not only that but apparently the hospital had to sack him because he was stalking one of the staff. The police were involved then too."
And when she'd given them his name and they'd checked they'd become very interested. Rob smiled to himself. It hadn't taken much to prompt Maggie to think of the weird, stalker. Getting into Phil's house hadn't been much of a challenge either and planting the tongue in his freezer, he thought, was genius.
Two birds, one stone. He almost chuckled out loud at the beauty of it. Getting rid of the interfering mate and then blaming the man who was beginning to make a nuisance of himself. Rob fetched Maggie a tissue and watched as she wiped her nose, he sent her to wash her face and was pleased to hear that he managed to keep the irritation out of his voice. She really was going to have to do better than this, he thought.


















© Copyright 2022 Molly Garcia (mollygarcia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287541-The-Love-of-His-Life