*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287584-The-Power-of-Women
by Eli
Rated: ASR · Essay · Emotional · #2287584
In contrast essay "Penelope" by Homer and "An Ancient Gesture" by Edna St. Vincent Millay
"The Power of Women"

         While reading The Odyssey, an influential epic poem written by Homer, you dive deep into ancient Greek poetry. It not only tells a tale of heroism and extraordinary power but also gives insight into ancient Greek culture and values. Throughout parts of The Odyssey, numerous women, gods, and humans alike demonstrate divine female power that, at times, exceeds the men. The Odyssey remains relevant even after four thousand years due to the fact that it teaches us loyalty, courage, and patience. Poets like Edna St. Vincent Millay, who wrote "An Ancient Gesture," which was inspired by Penelope, have contributed to its long-lasting effect on everyone who reads The Odyssey. When reading both poems, Penelope is distraught, heartbroken, and miserable over her husband. As Millay wrote her poem, she intended her readers to understand that you must always continue with life; do not let grief and sorrow destroy you for eternity.
         In Homer's Odyssey, our first genuine encounter with Penelope begins when she interrogates her husband disguised as a beggar. From the beginning, you can infer that Penelope is a steadfast woman who still deeply cares for her long-lost husband, whom she so desperately wished was still alive. After the twenty heart-aching years, Penelope continued to remain loyal. She continued to stay confident that one day her husband would return home. "If he returned, if he were here to care for me, I might be happily renowned! But grief instead heaven sent me--years of pain." (1310-1312) Penelope refused to take no for an answer. She would not listen to her family's wishes to find a suitable husband to marry. She even fooled her suitors by weaving on a loom by day and unweaving it by night in hopes of never being forced into a marriage. "So every day I wove on the great loom, but every night by torchlight I unwove it, and so for three years I deceived the Achaeans." ( 1131-1134) Her actions throughout the poem indicate that she was not only a clever woman but a determined woman, desperate to defy Greek life's moral standards and values. She would stop at nothing to remain married to Odysseus. While reaching the end of The Odyssey or "Penelope's Test," you may have already concluded that Penelope is loyal, clever, and determined, but she also proves how caring and loving she is. When Penelope tests Odysseus for the last time, she then knows it is him. Her husband had finally returned. She became overcome with emotions and cried out, "Do not rage at me, Odysseus! No one ever matched your caution! Think what difficulty the gods gave: they denied us life together in our prime and flowering years…" (1597-1600). Homer depicted Penelope as a loyal, clever, determined, and a loving woman because he needed the readers to picture the perfect wife. Penelope followed the values and culture of her time, and she essentially is a symbol of perfection that must set an example to all of the women of Greece.
         Likewise, during "An Ancient Gesture," Millay did an excellent job describing the narrator's emotions to a greater extent than Homer did with his character, Penelope. You can appreciate how realistic the emotions are throughout the poem. The narrator compares herself to Penelope's life because her trials are almost precisely like Penelope's. Both husbands are gone, and no one knows where they are. She has nearly given up on life because of how exhausted she is. "...Your arms get tired, and the back of your neck gets tight; And along towards morning, when you think it will never be light, And your husband has been gone, and you don't know where for years." (5-7) Millay portrays the narrator far more depressed than Homer did with Penelope. It almost feels as if the narrator is suicidal. There is nothing left for the narrator. She said, "There is simply nothing else to do." (9). She feels as if she has no purpose, and there is no point in her continuation of life. However, towards the end of "An Ancient Gesture," the narrator's outlook begins to take a turn for the better. She has started to reflect on her life and Penelope's. When you first take a look at this woman who has no one, you will quickly realize she is lonely and helpless, drained by life. "And more than once: you cannot keep weaving all day And undoing it all through the night; Your arms get tired, and the back of your neck gets tight…." ( 3-5). By the end, she claims, "And I thought, as I wiped my eyes on the corner of my apron: This is an ancient gesture, authentic, antique, in the very best tradition, classic Greek…" (10-12). This quote symbolizes her reflection, her finally coming to a realization. It is okay to cry, do not let your emotions get in the way of your life; women have cried for ages over the loss of their husbands, and she is not the first.
         Around the 8th century, Homer wrote The Odyssey, and when writing it, he had an idea, an idea that he himself had expected would last for ages. It did, in fact, last for ages, but people like Millay had a different interpretation of one of the most invigorating women ever portrayed in literature to this day. Penelope is depicted as a courageous woman in both poems, but both poets had different intents. Homer attempted to set an example for all the women of Greece. He wanted every married woman to be a faithful and charismatic wife. He essentially created the standard of a perfect wife. However, in 1949, Millay had a much different message to convey. It was a powerful message for women, but it was not about how to be the perfect wife to your husband. It was a message to women without their husbands. Women that can not seem to continue on with life. She wanted her readers to understand that it is okay to move on and continue being distraught. More than ever, many women without their spouses need to hear this message since it could be so uplifting and empowering. Penelope was not the first, and the narrator was not the last. Penelope is a hero because women today will look up to her and know they should not let their husbands' absence get in the way of going on in life.
         In general, both poets discuss women. However, they both have different opinions on how a wife should act. Homer wanted women to stay faithful to their husbands forever. He believed women should remain loyal to their husbands even if they have disappeared. Penelope believed in staying faithful to her husband, too. Millay believed in moving on for oneself. She intended her readers to understand that you must always continue with life; do not let grief and sorrow destroy you for eternity.
© Copyright 2022 Eli (elihazelwood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287584-The-Power-of-Women