*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287910-QUERY-PACKET-1423
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2287910
Teaser/Cover Letter/Synopsis as of January 2023
TEASER

Duty, honor, heart.  In the 32nd century, those three hallowed words dictate what soldiers like ELAM VANDREREN and SIGURD VON DORESTAD ought to do, can do, and will do.  That seemed simple until a murder forces them to choose between their hearts and what duty and honor demand. 

COVER LETTER

I am writing to query your interest in “Murder on Cabot's Landing,” a 78,000 word SciFi novel that blends mystery, thriller, and SciFi genres, together with a touch of gay romance.  In the tradition of novels like The Mote in God’s Eye, this novel’s thirty-second century future has a history grounded in the present. The mystery, thriller, and romance elements are similar to The Mountains of Mourning or Ethan of Athos.

Duty, honor, heart.  In the 32nd century, those three hallowed words dictate what soldiers like ELAM VANDREREN and SIGURD VON DORESTAD ought to do, can do, and will do.  That seemed simple until a murder forces them to choose between their hearts and what duty and honor demand. 

Writing as Max Griffin, I have published several novels with small, independent presses.  I am currently President of Oklahoma Science Fiction Writers, a small group of local authors who publish in the SciFi and Horror genres. I write a monthly column “For Authors” which is featured on Writing.Com.  My author website is at https://new.maxgriffin.net, where  you can find my publication history, some ancillary material on this novel, and my blog.

I am mathematician by training and am retired from a major research university in the US Southwest where I held faculty positions in mathematics and electrical engineering, as well as senior positions in academic leadership.  My graduate textbook, “Real Analysis,” was published by Prentice-Hall.

If you require additional information, I can be reached via email at Bill@WilliamRay.net and by phone or text at 918.408.XXXX.  I have attached a synopsis and the the first three chapters.  Thank you for your consideration.

SYNOPSIS

ELAM VANDREREN thinks the job of Resident on the abandoned planet CABOT'S LANDING is the perfect escape from his past. But when he arrives, he finds the prior Resident murdered.  Elam thinks the Resident’s spouse did it.  The investigator from the transport ship Zuiderkruis, SIGURD VAN DORSTADT, thinks Elam did it.  They both think that no one else was on the planet.  It turns out they are wrong on all counts.

Despite an intense love/hate relationship and keeping secrets from each other, Elam and Sigurd join forces to find the truth. Sigurd assembles a team from the Zuiderkruis, and the investigation commences. The evidence soon points to unknown criminals on the planet, possibly hiding out in the ruins of an ancient military base on the other side of the planet.

When they take a team to the base, a band of EXALTATIONISTS, a murderous cult from the other side of human space, launch a surprise attack. Elam and Sigurd escape, but the Exaltationists have trapped part of their team at the base. 

During their escape, Elam and Sigurd stumble on the LEFT BEHIND, long-hidden descendants of those who didn’t leave when the planet was abandoned half a millennium ago. The Left Behind fear the Exaltationists and offer an alliance. The secretive behavior of the Left Behind arouses suspicions, but Elam and Sigurd accept their offer.

Sigurd devises a daring plan to defeat the cultists and rescue the team under fire at the military base.  The plan succeeds, but Sigurd is nearly killed. The Left Behind assist Elam in rescuing Sigurd, and the two finally reveal their secrets and acknowledge their deep feelings for each other.

In the course of the battle, Sigurd and Elam discover that the Left Behind descended from an ancient project to breed genetically enhanced warriors, warriors with extraordinary abilities. They conclude that these abilities pose an existential threat to the peace of the galaxy.  Duty requires they defend the peace. Honor requires they keep promises to their allies. To do both, they must deny their hearts and their love for each other.

SIMILAR BOOKS

Like "The Mote in God's Eye," this novel is grounded in a plausible "future history" with plausible science and technology.  The romantic and mystery elements are similar to "Ethan of Athos" by Lois McMaster Bujold, although any of her novels in the Vorkosigan series provide a similar blending of character, science, mystery, and thriller.

TARGET AUDIENCE

Adults who enjoy character-driven science fiction that is grounded in plausible history and science will enjoy this book.  It features a romantic arc between the two primary male characters, so the target audience specifically includes gay males.  At least half the readers of prior titles by this author featuring similar arcs have have been straight females.  The book also features elements of mystery, police procedurals, and action/adventure.

AUTHOR BIO

Writing as Max Griffin, Ray has published five novels and a collection of short stories with various small, independent presses.  He is president of Oklahoma Science Fiction Writers, a small group of local authors publishing science fiction and horror.  As Griffin, he writes a monthly column "For Authors" featured on Writing.com.  Ray is a retired mathematician and academic administrator.  Prentice-Hall published his textbook "Real Analysis."



© Copyright 2023 Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 (mathguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287910-QUERY-PACKET-1423