*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288291-The-Lighthouse-in-the-Mist
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2288291
The story contains elements of mystery, fiction and has a touch of gothic.
The mist was thick and heavy as it rolled in off the ocean, enveloping the small town in a cloak of grey. Rachel pulled her coat tighter around her, shivering as the dampness seeped through to her skin.

She had always loved the mist, the way it seemed to erase the hard lines of the world and make everything soft and dreamlike. But today, as she trudged through the empty streets, the mist felt oppressive, smothering.

Rachel had been walking for hours, her feet numb and aching. She had left her house in a fit of anger and desperation, not knowing where she was going or what she was looking for. All she knew was that she needed to get away, to be alone with her thoughts and the endless expanse of the mist.

As the sky lightened and the mist began to lift, Rachel found herself at the edge of town, standing in front of the old, dilapidated lighthouse. She had always been drawn to the lighthouse, with its weathered stone and rusted metal, standing sentinel over the sea.

Rachel climbed the winding stairs to the top, her footsteps echoing in the empty space. From the top of the lighthouse, she could see for miles in every direction, the mist like a veil over the landscape.

For a moment, Rachel forgot her anger and frustration, lost in the beauty of the view. And as the sun burned off the last of the mist, she knew that she would be okay. She would find her way back home, stronger and more sure of herself than before.
© Copyright 2023 Igor Skoglund (iskoglund at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288291-The-Lighthouse-in-the-Mist