*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288771-Species-in-Cawell-Gwydr
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2288771
A list of entities and common groups of them in the Glass City.
Broad Categories:
The Broad Categories are the largest and least specific groupings of paranormal entities.

Humanoids:
Humanoid entities are those which are related to humans in some way. This includes humans, human hybrids and occasionally other creatures that commonly take on a human form. These are generally the least powerful of all entities, but the most versatile as they can learn magic, instead of having to rely on innate abilities. This is the most common category of entity.

Spirits:
Spirits are the result of Humanoids who die within the Glass City, typically retaining most of their appearance and demeanour but with a higher capability for magic. They can also be the result of very magically potent humanoids who are drawn to the Glass City from outside.

Demons:
Demons are a subtype of Spirit, who are formed from the more raw energies of the Primordium interacting with Spirits, enhancing their supernatural powers. Demons are also more likely to be from outside the City, as the journey inside can open up enough 'holes' in their essence for the raw magic to slip through.

Abstractions:
Abstractions are entities formed from human concepts and ideas, made real in the Glass City. The most powerful Abstractions are Deities, embodying a base aspect of the human experience or reality itself.

Species:

Humans, Humanoid: Humans are inhabitants of the material that have managed to enter the Glass Cage due to finding a door, or being born there. They are vulnerable to magic, and curses, but also highly adept at them.

Dau, Humanoid: Dau are humanoids who have been fused with one or more animals or bestowed with animal-esque features. Dau generally come in the following subspecies.

-Cursed Dau: Those born human but due to magical circumstances develop bestial characteristics. This subtype includes lycanthropes, as well.

-Clan Dau: Clan Dau are a collection of multiple Dau lineages with enough consistency between them to be considered individual species. An example of Dau Clans include Harpies, Centaurs, Mermaids, etc.


Ghost, Spirit: Ghosts are simply the undead souls of humanoids that have stuck around in the Glass City. If they had magic, it becomes slightly stronger due to ignoring most physical restrictions/drawbacks caused by it.

Poltergeist, Spirit: A regular Ghost with the ability to manifest a corporeal form, and who's magic takes on an often violent aspect, such as becoming more destructive.

Wraith, Spirit: A composite of ghosts and fragments of ghosts, or some poltergeists. Much more powerful than both, but unstable.

Sinner, Demon: A demon that represents an aspect of the soul the demon originated from that they were often persecuted for. This commonly takes the form of percieved 'sins' such as being lustful, angry or even simply defying a society. Sinner demons feed on the energy of this 'sin'.

Elemental, Demon: A demon that touched the Primordium and returned with some influence over reality, or a base part of it. Often in service to deities. The most common are Fire, Air, Earth and Water demons, but those of chemical elements and forces such as gravity also appear.

Apothic, Demon: An apothic is not exactly a category of demon in and of itself, rather a category a Sinner or Elemental can be placed into. Apothics are those demons worshipper by those in Cawell Gwydr, or outside of it, and thus gain more power from the belief of their followers, especially if those followers feed the demon's source.

Wordling, Abstraction: A wordling is a type of abstraction which centers around a particular word, phrase, sound or aspect of communication. For example, there may be a 'Cat' wordling which is a collection of all of those connotations, plus the word's influenced aspects of reality, as in the animal, made manifest. Most abstractions are considered at least subtypes of Wordling, or are fused with the wordling for their concept.

Chromati, Abstraction: A chromati is a type of abstraction which focuses on a particular colour, or more accurately the electromagnetic spectrum. For example, there is a Red Chromati, and an X-ray Chromati, though the latter would not be visible to humanoids.

Chronak, Abstraction: A chronak is an abstraction encapsulating all of a certain time period. There is technically a chronak for each second that has ever happened, but they often fuse into hours, days, months, years or even decades. The largest are centuries, often forming a small clan known as Millenia.

Deity, Abstraction: A deity is an abstraction of the Primordium itself, the roiling sea of all ideas. Deities are considered wordlings by technicality, as they embody the entirety of a thing's existence, which includes a name, and a time and everything else. An example of a deity is Life, Death, Blood or Force, which all govern their respective concepts within the bounds of reality.






© Copyright 2023 duerguard (elongatedpik at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288771-Species-in-Cawell-Gwydr