*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289307-Chapter-One-Liliana
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ray
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2289307
This is the second chapter for Chosen Ones.
Castle Darconia was little more than an aging, decrepit, though still imposing building, always looking like it was on the verge of collapse. It was said that its inner walls were constructed out of human skulls and whispered among the enslaved that monsters roamed the lower levels, hungry for the taste of human flesh and blood. That poison ran through the rivers, and that food was scarce, forcing those under Darcon and his court to beg for favors literally.
None of this was true in the least… at least, not all of it. Much of it is deceptive.
Castle Darconia had the skulls of conquered leaders within its walls, but only in one room and behind a pane of unbreakable glass. The castle itself was a frightening visage in any light, though it was even more so at night, as it was constructed out of solid black obsidian. But it was superbly maintained, allowing it to withstand the test of time with incredible ease. The waters were as pure as Geonosis's. What purpose did it serve to threaten the safety of those who Darcon ruled over with poisoned water? If he wanted a village and its population destroyed, he would send his troops and wipe it out with swords and spears. And as for food being scarce, Darconia produced more than enough food to feed its population. Even the enslaved, who didn't receive as much, could survive. After all, what good were they to the Empire if they were dead, or too weak to work?
Another thing that wasn't true in the slightest was the rumor of monsters roaming the castle's catacombs. They had already been killed, their hides used for additional protection for their soldiers, and venom's used to poison their enemies. Besides, the soldiers were just as dangerous as any monster out there, if not more so.
But there was one thing that was true about Darconia and had been true for a long time; it wasn't the nicest place on the continent to be if you were a farmer.
It was even less so if you were a slave.
*
Alexandra had lived in Castle Darconia her entire life and witnessed many atrocities right before her. She still couldn't understand why things had to be so terrible for her and her fellow enslaved. She didn't understand why people treated others with such hatred and indifference, why they took away another person's freedom and declared them worse than nothing.
That was somewhat incorrect. She didn't know whether or not it was contained in Darconia or if it was widespread. She knew why Darconians did it; they were arrogant bastards who thought themselves superior to everyone else.
While she wasn't free, she was relieved by her distinction of being the only slave in Darconia
to be spared from those atrocities. All she knew was that because of Liliana, she had been spared the worst of it. It was something she would be forever thankful for. Otherwise, she doubted she would still be alive.
Even now, as they walked down the dark corridors of the castle, the young girl was pleased to see how the guards kept their hands to themselves, despite their natural inclination to do otherwise. Of course, it helped that Liliana was slightly ahead of them, glaring at each soldier as they passed them. The beating she had given the last one was still vivid enough in their minds. Still, she could feel a swell of confidence as she took what she could of their expressions. She could feel it and had to push it down. Maintaining a meek persona was the only way to avoid the High King's wrath.
Sandra also observed the line of guards, all too used to this darker aspect of a highly dark culture. She had taken the brunt of it a long time ago, and if she had to, she would do it again so Alexandra wouldn't.
On the other hand, Liliana kept her glare on the soldiers, barely keeping herself from looking at her girls. While it was common knowledge that she protected them, it was imperative that no one found out how deeply she cared for them.
Of course, all three were superb actors. What the guards saw as they passed were three women of different ages, two of which were wearing the skimpy, nearly transparent attire that all enslaved women wore while within the walls. One of them was free of the scars others had acquired, with hair as golden as the sun and eyes blue as the sky. The other was raven-haired, with eyes almost as green as the leaves of a tree in the summer. She bore the scars of past beatings and walked with a limp, indicating a fracture that had healed ages ago. They kept their heads meekly bowed as they followed the Princess.
On the other hand, Liliana, Princess of Darconia, held her head high, though not with any of the arrogance they saw from her adopted father or any other Darconian. Instead, her personality was more closely akin to their Geonosian enemies; confident yet humble. Her hair was the color of golden honey, trailing down her back freely. Her body, incredibly lovely to look at, showed nothing of her life or training as a soldier in the army. She was the only woman in the Empire to bear that distinction and would most likely remain the only one forever. Her eyes, a unique gold color never seen before, could seemingly peer into a man's soul and discover their innermost secrets without even trying. She was the third most dangerous being in all Darconia, simply because she did not look the part.
Of course, there was another reason why she was.
Princess Liliana possessed power beyond almost every single human being in the Empire. Her strength was three times greater than any man, allowing her to achieve feats that could rival any demigod of ancient myth. She possessed reserves of magic unmatched by any mage, and there was probably no limit to her potential. Her reflexes, speed, and senses were also enhanced due to that magic. In fact, the only reason she was not the most dangerous was that she had never killed or hurt anyone except to defend herself and her servants. Which, considering the kingdom she served, happened a great deal.
The three of them reached Liliana's chambers, Alexandra opening the door like the good slave she was. Imperiously, Liliana went inside, the other two following while the guards watched them laviciously. Once inside, they stood submissively, awaiting her orders.
“Alexandra, close the door.” Liliana turned around, gesturing regally. “Sandra, my cloak…” The sound of the door closing shut her up quickly, and she relaxed immediately. "Thank you," she said, removing the cloak herself. "If I had to act like that any longer today, I would simply have to stab myself… or one of them."
The other women also relaxed, their body language shifting immediately as well. Alexandra stood a little taller now that they were out of sight of the guards. Sandra rolled her head, cracking the bones of her neck. Liliana merely loosened up a little, not needing to remain straight back. She tied her hair back, not wanting it in her way as she changed.
Sandra's eyes obtained a hint of fire, a degree of good humor that she kept hidden away from the world. "Your acting skills have improved over these last few cycles," she noted with pride, limping over to the Princess's chest. "I think one of the guards in the dining area was beginning to believe you could become like your father. Probably thought he stood a chance wooing you."
"Yes, that is all true. Not that it matters what any of them think or believe. The result is the same." Liliana turned towards Alexandra. "What about you? Did anything happen that I should know about?"
Alexandra smiled. "I believe they have finally received the message," she replied, restraining her relief as much as possible. "None of the soldiers even came close to touching me while I was washing your garments. The fact that you threw one of them into one of the walls and then held him upside down for three milli-cycles might have had something to do with it."
"Good… very good." The Princess would have to take her frustrations out on a training dummy again. A promising sign, if there ever was one.
Sandra grabbed her shawl from Liliana's chest, wrapping it around herself like a shield against the world. It wasn't that much of a surprise, considering that most Darconian noblewomen and enslaved women wore nearly transparent garments. And even those barely covered the essentials. All the better for the Darconian men to think and do unmentionable things.
The shawl itself was a bit threadbare. Its once rich red color faded to a light pink, but it was also the only thing the older woman owned, and it was Liliana's gift to her all those many cycles ago.
Alexandra, who had worn those garments her entire life, was nowhere near as modest. Modesty was something that no slave in the castle had, and you had to get used to it fast. That, and being afraid for your life every single milli-cycle of every day. "I take it that your research is not going as you were hoping," she said after a moment.
Sandra nodded, gesturing for Liliana to turn around. "Up to seven hundred cycles of Darconian history, and we have found nothing so far that tells us of any artifacts that could fit its description. It is as if Darcon did not want any information about it to survive."
"Either that, or he has all the information in his chambers. He is not known for throwing away something that he knows he can use later on," Liliana replied, waiting for Sandra to untie the back of her dress. If that were the case, then they could be destroyed. No one dared enter his chambers, whether or not he was actually in them.
Since the start, the Princess and her two friends had been searching the whole Draconian archives, attempting to learn about one of the many artifacts that her father possessed; what appeared to be a quarter piece of a circular tablet. They knew it was part of something larger, but they didn't understand why he kept it. He had destroyed countless monuments and historical artifacts in his wars and burned mythological texts that had been useless to him by the thousands. In Darconia, it had no place in their Empire if it wasn't something you could use as a weapon. So why did he keep a small piece of a broken tablet under lock and key, posting guards at his door day and night to protect it? It was one of the most frustrating things she had had to deal with.
Focusing back on the more important task, even as Sandra loosened her garment, she asked, "By the way, Alexandra, how is your search going?"
Alexandra shrugged helplessly, not liking what she had to say. "Not so well," she replied. "I have found nothing there that explains your dreams, or the white-haired woman you keep seeing in them. It is as if she had never existed."
"That is if she even existed in the first place. Maybe she is some sister who was never born, and she has come to torment me on a past battlefield."
"I am sorry to hear you say that. She meant it, too. I would think that you, who are the very definition of unique, would try and be a little more open-minded." Sandra stepped back, allowing Liliana to unlatch the belt around her waist.
“I just want the dreams to end so I can get an uninterrupted night of sleep,” Liliana retorted. “Is that too much to ask?”
Sandra nodded, backing off slightly. No point reprimanding her for something that she had no control over.
For as long as she could remember, Lilana had been haunted by strange dreams centering on a particular past battle. They were so potent that she had woken up in the middle of the night. And, for the better part of ten cycles, they had exhausted every possible avenue trying to figure out what they meant.
"I guess we shall have to look to the fortune tellers for answers," Alexandra stated derisively, her well-known opinion of them. A belief that she shared with many of the nobility, surprisingly enough.
Liliana nodded, stepping behind the changing rack and letting the dress drop. "I know, and that annoys me," she said, pulling her training uniform on. "If this woman existed in the first place, then there is a good chance she did not wish to be remembered or found for that matter. Probably safer for anyone she cared about." She put her weapon belt on, making sure she had everything. A good soldier always ensured they were fully armed before entering the Training Room. The other soldiers might want a pound of your flesh and actually take it. "As for the concept of keeping my mind open… I will try and do so. Well, I am off to train. Remember to lock the door, and be ready to escape through the window. Just because no one has tried anything does not mean that it will not change."
Sandra didn't need to be told twice. She had suffered Barok's 'hospitality' long ago, several cycles after being assigned to care for the Princess. She had no desire to endure that again and certainly would ensure that Alexandra didn't suffer the same fate. The two girls in front of her were the closest she had to family, and she would protect them as best she could.
Alexandra leaned in, giving Liliana a small hug. “Be careful, Liliana,” she whispered. She knew Liliana was safe but still feared for her every time she went into Barok’s domain.
Liliana reciprocated, grinning slightly. "I will be, Big Sister." Her eyes twinkled as she pulled back. "You know, you almost sound as if you are worried about me." Of course, she knew why Alexandra was worried. Barok worried many people, and not all of them were slaves.
“Me? Really? I guess I shall have to practice showing less of that, then.”
Sandra chuckled, all too used to the light banter between them. It took her more than six cycles to finally get them both to relax in Liliana’s bedchambers, but it had been well worth it. “All right, you two, that is enough. Sire, enjoy your training. Alexandra, continue your studies.”
"Yes, Mother," both replied, giggling. No fear, no castes. This was how they were when none was watching them.
Here, they were family.
*
The training room in Castle Darconia was similar to any other training room in any city. It was a cavernous room capable of housing many of the army stationed there. It held enough weapons for that entire army to use and two massive barrels of water filled almost daily.
What made it different from most was that it also served as the General’s personal playground, where he weeded out the weak and incompetent... and sent them out in body bags.
General Barok, Supreme General of the Armies of Darconia and the greatest warrior known on the Aron Continent, was a warrior of the old age, and he looked every inch of it. His face made him look older than he actually was, with lines running deeply into his leathery skin. His short-cut hair was already mostly gray, despite the fact that he was only thirty-five cycles of age. And, on one cheek, among the deep lines, was an old battle scar. It was the only one he had ever received, though he had fought in many battles. His body was hard and lean, and his eyes, just as hard and cold as glacial ice, could chill the blood of any being they came into contact with… save for two. The Immortal King himself, Darcon…
… and his equally dangerous, if gentler, adopted daughter, Princess Liliana.
Even as he found himself thinking of the many differences and similarities between the King and Princess, his eyes caught sight of the latter as she entered the training area, ready to train. His gaze instantly went from ice cold to smoldering. No matter how long he knew about her abilities or training in the army, he still felt anger about a woman in his domain. But he would never say that aloud. Darcon decreed it, and so it would be done.
Liliana, for her part, was either unaware of his cutting glare or did not care. She made her way over to one of the practice dummies, stretching as she always did when she arrived. Her hands interlaced, cracking. They balled up into fists.
She beat the inanimate object, utilizing punishing kicks, chops, and punches, each blow landing with lethal intent, though not at full power. That was enough to tell the General that she was annoyed about something.
And therein lay the most apparent difference between Father and Daughter. Darcon would have taken his frustrations out on a slave, beating the lower being within an inch of his life, if he didn't kill the man outright. Liliana, who protected her two slaves furiously and had never even touched a slave in anger before in her life, took hers out on an inanimate object, eradicating it in the end. ‘At least she does not attack soldiers, except in sparring matches,’ he thought. He didn't like her in the military, didn't like her period, but he respected her prowess in combat and the power she could put behind each blow. Those were the only reasons why he tolerated her presence.
The beatdown lasted only a mere few moments. With a flying roundhouse kick that tore the dummy's head off and sent it flying twenty feet, Liliana stepped back, taking a deep breath. The tension slowly slid from her shoulders, as it usually did when she worked her frustrations away. Now she could train without putting someone's life at risk.
Barok watched as she stretched again, an idea starting to form in his brain. He walked over to her, silently signaling three warriors to head to the far corner. "Must you destroy our equipment every time you are annoyed?" he asked, getting her attention.
Liliana turned her attention to him, spearing him with a glare that spoke of her undying dislike for him. "Would you rather I do this to one of our warriors?" she asked in return, gesturing toward the decimated pile of wood and hay. "Or you, for that matter?"
It was no secret that Barok hated Liliana and that the feeling was mutual. She saw him as a monster without subtlety, honor, or any other redeeming qualities. He saw her as too soft, without Darconian will behind her power. If either of them had a chance or a choice, they would have tried and killed the other long before.
But Darcon, having foreseen such an occurrence, and needing both of them alive for the inevitable war against Geonosis and their allies, had informed them that they would do no such thing, so they had reached an unspoken agreement. He did not go after Alexandra or Sandra, and she didn't remove certain aspects of his anatomy.
The Princess took a drink from the water barrel, not noticing the stale taste. After drinking it for her entire life, she was used to it. "I trust there is a reason you wish to speak with me, other than to jeopardize your life?"
Barok nodded, letting her know he wasn't afraid of her. "It is painfully obvious to me that you need a new hobby, aside from defeating objects that cannot fight back. I have three warriors from your father's guard who require some practice. Are you interested in facing them?"
Liliana grinned at that, as she was always one for a challenge. "When am I not?" Her gold eyes glinted. "After all, I would not want to think that anyone thought of me as soft, now would I?"
So she had heard the subtle insinuations and had been waiting for the opportunity to squash them. And the King's guard, the Darconian warrior elite, seemed the perfect way to do just that.
Barok grinned in delight. "Then the Pillars await you, Sire," he stated, knowing that she had failed every time she fought in that particular environment. It would give her an additional disadvantage, as her attention would be split between fighting and balancing. It was precisely for that reason that he had chosen it. If he couldn't kill her, he would humiliate her.
Liliana's gaze darkened considerably, but she didn't complain. The pillar training area was vastly different from the usual terrains in that she excelled. In that area, you had yet to determine whether or not your foot would encounter a surface to set down or empty air. Therefore, one had to concentrate on both balance and defense.
But she had never backed down from a challenge, especially not one from Barok. The Pillars were the last obstacle she had to overcome before becoming the ultimate warrior. Besides, she took solace in the fact that she always managed to last a little longer. And this time, it was going to be different.
It damn well better.
*
Darconia was the largest land kingdom in recent history, reminding many of the ancient Empire of Morica at its peak. It was trying to control its half of the continent, and if they managed to get through the mountains, the half containing Geonosis and its allies. Its population numbered nearly ten million, its army making up half that population quite literally, and it grew with each conquest. Each of their major cities could easily rival Machion's capital in size.
And yet, in the center of that Empire stood one lone structure. Castle Darcon. It was the heart and soul of Darconia, but it didn't sit in the middle of a massive city like others palaces did. Instead, it sat at the base of a giant volcano, one that had been on the verge of erupting since the castle's construction but had never quite reached that point. It always looked like it had been holding back for some earth-shattering revelation.
But until that day came, Castle Darcon remained indomitable against the world … as did its ruler.
At that very moment, the immortal ruler of Darconia was making his way down the corridors of his castle, trying to locate his adopted daughter.
At first glance, it was easy to see how Darcon achieved his reputation as the most ruthless ruler on the Aron Continent. Despite the overabundant luxury and excess that was commonplace among the nobility, Darcon himself had the hard, lean look of a soldier. Like Barok, he was a soldier of the old age, where doing without for many days was the rule, not the exception. His dark hair was cropped close to his skull, little more than a bristle. His eyes, cold as ice, conveyed no emotion, though if one looked much more closely, they would have seen a flicker of something. Something that would have sent them scurrying to the hills in terror. Many had, in fact.
He was the most dangerous man on the continent, someone who didn't care for anyone or anything and was in a position of power.
But he was also quite intelligent and knew that to maintain his control, he needed nearly equally powerful and ruthless beings to reinforce it. General Barok certainly qualified with ruthlessness.
And his adopted daughter, both the light and bane in his eyes, qualified for power. She possessed strength that was coming close to equaling his, growing stronger with each fight. And, like him, she allowed no emotion to enter her eyes.
However, she was an enigma. Though she possessed rage and hatred, they were not directed towards all around her. Her hatred had two particular targets; himself and Barok. And even then, she kept it locked away behind incredibly powerful walls. Walls she had developed through ten cycles of meditation and military discipline were close to unbreakable. Hopefully, this spring would be the season when she finally overcame those burdens. Now, if he could only find her.
Darcon entered the training area at long last and immediately noticed the huge crowd gathering at the pillar exercise zone. He made his way over there, not even guessing as to who could be there that could make others congregate. He already knew. She always did attract a crowd.
Liliana was on the course, leaping from pillar to pillar, blocking and evading attacks from three of his elite, which was an impressive feat. Their training was close to what Geonosis employed with its entire army.
The pillars, which took up a large portion of the massive training area, were just a series of unevenly sized tree trunks set at various heights and spread out unevenly. Their width was just as varied, ranging from being as thin as a table leg to being three times the width of one's foot. It was designed to test one's balance and coordination and their capability to observe their surroundings while fighting for their life. So far, only a few warriors could accomplish that. It was how Darcon chose his elite guard and those who would command his armies.
It was also the one place where Liliana always needed help. He had the suspicion that today would be no different. He derived a certain satisfaction from that. It meant that she still had weaknesses that he could use.
Liliana leaped to the thinnest pole in the center, landing almost perfectly. Her equilibrium was shaky, but she could still put her other foot on another pole. She was also able to block an attack. Quickly leaping to another pillar, she lashed out with a counterattack, her blade singing through the air.
The soldier wasn't prepared for such an attack and lost his blade and balance. He fell to the ground, which was a good ten feet down.
Darcon watched as Liliana leaped to another pillar, impressed despite himself. Though she never passed the pillar test, she always managed to come close. And the margin between success and failure became ever slimmer with each passing attempt. She was adapting, slowly but surely, every time she was involved. She also gave it her all and always removed most of her opposition.
Liliana did that again, knocking the second warrior out of the testing area. He hit the ground hard, his back and jaw in pain. As always, victory seemed within her grasp.
But she had yet to defeat the third warrior. And General Barok had chosen the best warrior for last. This one was the Captain of Darcon's guard and the bane of Liliana's life. More to the point, he was built for that kind of terrain.
Darcon watched as Liliana and his Captain leaped from pillar to pillar, trading sword strikes whenever they passed each other. At that moment, he saw their strategies.
Liliana’s was simple; to find some even ground and switch to defense. The Captain's was to be elusive, yet abusive. He struck hard but vanished before she could home in on his position. It was a tactical strategy that she seemed unable to adapt to. It wasn't a predetermined set of movements and was just as random as hers.
But both he and the General had to give her credit; she always gave as well as she received. As a result of her sheer tenacity, she managed to stay in the fight for quite a while. In fact, she stayed there longer than ever before.
But, as Darcon predicted, it ended like all of the others.
Liliana leaped to the thinnest pole near the training plot's edge to avoid a sideswipe. As she tried to regain her equilibrium, she still managed to block an attack on her leg.
However, this left her wide open for a whirling kick, which smashed into her face, knocking her off. She fell to the ground, beaten once again.
Darcon turned to Barok. "How am I to conquer my enemies if you and Liliana insist on being at each other's throats, however indirectly?" he asked quietly, though rather casually.
Barok shrugged. “You will not allow us the pleasure of trying to kill each other, so we must find creative ways to humiliate each other,” he replied. “I have had no hand in her defeat here, and I did not order them to kill her.”
With a smirk forming on his face, the King was forced to concede. What was more, Liliana was still alive and recovering rapidly. That was all that mattered.
Liliana smacked the ground in frustration before sitting up. While she took comfort in the fact that she had managed to last even longer than last time, losing was still painful. She didn’t like losing, and she hated losing on the pillars even more.
The winner of their little battle royal leaped to the floor gracefully, smirking. "You lasted longer than before, Sire," he said respectfully, pulling his helmet off. "And do not fret. Few can truly challenge me on the pillars. One day, you shall master them, and then I shall be at your mercy."
“Yes, but I usually adapt to my environments quickly, Romulus,” Liliana replied irritably. “Why can I not do that here?”
Romulus, recently selected Captain of the Elite Warriors, was one of their finest fighters. His body was leanly muscled, which meant he could dodge attacks that larger, less limber men couldn't. Despite five cycles on the front lines, his body had no scars. And, like the immortal ruler, he was incredibly charismatic and had a penchant for the ladies. His strong chin, high cheekbones, piercing blue-green eyes, and mop of reddish-brown hair merely accentuated those qualities.
The Princess found him to be pompous but tolerable all the same. Almost like her father, but not quite. He was also a bit suicidal, as she had caught him watching her and her servants more and more often as of late, ever since she returned from her first mission. She couldn't figure out who he was watching more, and she didn't care. She had no interest in him, and Alexandra was frightened of all soldiers.
Romulus held out a hand, offering to help her up. “I can always teach you how to utilize the pillars to your advantage… among other things.”
Liliana refused his assistance, bringing herself to a standing position with no trouble. “If the day comes that I ever need your help for any reason, then it shall truly be a dark day.” Wiping the sweat from her brow, she made her way to the exit, not even seeing the hurt that flashed briefly in his eyes. Luckily, Darcon did not either.
As she rounded the corner of the training area, her gaze suddenly sharpened upon seeing her father and Barok standing together, observing her. Altering her trajectory, she glared at the soldiers still milling about. "Return to your training!" she snapped. "Unless one of you wishes to try your luck! Unlike the Captain, none of you have ever won against me!"
Everyone scattered immediately, as none of them wished to anger her. An angry Liliana meant that no one would be happy.
Satisfied, the Princess stopped in front of Darcon, bowing to him with a respect she certainly didn't feel. "Father," she said in greeting. "How may I be of service to you?"
Darcon chose not to tell her just yet. "You lasted longer than before, my child. One day, perhaps you will win." He spoke with pride, as his daughter was otherwise a perfect warrior… the perfect weapon to use against Geonosis when they finally attacked.
“Thank you, Father. Your praise honors me. Now, what is it that you wish of me?” She thought otherwise, but decided not to say anything until she could gripe to her real family.
“Absolutely nothing… yet. I will tell you more at dinner, my child. Now, go and get yourself cleaned up. There is much to discuss. We have the reports from the border sieges, among other things.”
Ah, she did catch the subtle meaning behind his words. He had a feeling she would. She bowed to him, then made her way out of the Training Area.
Barok shook his head in disgust. “There was no joy in her heart upon hearing that,” he stated immediately. “She does not appreciate being your daughter, Sire.”
"Oh, that was made clear to all of us," Darcon replied. "It would seem that Liliana has some… enlightened views on how people should act and be treated. No one will be able to break her of it if you cannot." He smirked. "Then again, I do know one of her weaknesses. And I aim to rid her of it, one way or another."
The only question was how to do it.
*
"He was… calm?" Sandra echoed in surprise, pouring a water pitcher over Liliana's head. "All he wanted was to witness your battle?"
The Princess nodded, scrubbing her face vigorously with a wet cloth. She was eternally grateful for her status, allowing her to bathe privately. Not only did it let her have conversations with her friends, it meant she wasn't on display before the male soldiers. "Whenever he says that, I get a chill running down my spine," she confessed. "He either has something planned or is on the verge of planning something. I wish I knew what it was."
Alexandra looked up from what she was doing, which was adjusting Liliana’s dress for the evening. It was a light red affair with intricate purple patterns sewn onto the bodice. "Perhaps he wants you to join the Eastern Advance. They may have encountered resistance that they cannot defeat."
Liliana shook her head, eyes distant. "I doubt he will. He prefers keeping me close, watching his kingdom from afar." Personally, she would prefer being sent to the front. That way, she and her servants wouldn't have to watch the nightly debauchery that was dinner. And though the King never joined in on it, he didn't stop it either. In fact, he enjoyed watching it happen.
Sandra beckoned her to stand, holding a toweling cloth up. Wrapping it around the young woman, she said, “Sit at the vanity, and I shall brush your hair.” She picked up the brush as Liliana complied.
“Darcon could have news,” Liliana said, returning to their original conversation. “Perhaps the latest scouting party has penetrated the mountain range.”
"It is more likely that they have disappeared like all the others," Alexandra replied, finishing her adjustments as Sandra brushed Liliana's hair. "Well, that is done. Liliana, your dress is ready."
Liliana rose and accepted the dress, heading behind the dressing rack and dropping the toweling cloth. She quickly put the dress on before Alexandra tied her back up. As usual, there were no complaints. She grinned. "A perfect fit. Alexandra, I could kiss you, but that would be awkward."
Alexandra smirked. “Not to mention that I have no idea where your mouth has been.”
“You mean, besides smacking into the ground from several feet?”
“Precisely.”
The two girls giggled, enjoying this last moment of light banter for all it was worth, with Sandra smiling in the background. These moments, few and far between, were treasured all the more.
Liliana made her way over to the mirror, looking herself over. She had long ago given up trying to figure out how Alexandra could always make those adjustments just by looking at her. It was a display of understanding and precise control that was staggering. And she was forever grateful for it.
As she looked herself over, she reflected on one other thing. After several cen-cycles of argument, she had finally won a fashion battle with her father. As a result, she had several new dresses made. They were form-fitting and showed a little more cleavage than she would have liked, but they had sleeves, full-length skirts, and more opaque material than the traditional Darconian cloth. It also made it possible for her to go through the day without breaking a man's arm. Sadly, the dress still showed off her physique, but it was a significant improvement. Now, if only she could get it to catch on with the rest of the Empire…
Slipping the Imperial Ring of Josonas on her finger, a ring that's true origins were shrouded in mystery, she looked herself over once more as Sandra placed her tiara onto her head. "I think I am ready," she said. "How about you?"
"Are we ever?" Sandra replied, shuddering. "Make sure we are not over the balcony's edge this time. I almost fell when that one man bumped into me."
"I shall endeavor to try. Knowing my luck, though, he knows your fear of heights."
“Wonderful.”
*
Due to design, the Great Hall of Darcon was the largest room in the palace, even more than the Training Room. It was separated into two sections; the soldier's area and the noble's area.
It was this way as it served a multitude of functions, the least of which was as the dining area for the castle's population.
Fights broke out among soldiers, men eating more than their share, and slaves were forced to do things against their will were among the most common events in this time frame. The soldier's area was typical for a pub in one of the cities. It was in this room where you could see everything that Darconia stood for.
The second floor was slightly better in mannerisms but more subtle and insidious. Here was where the brutal war of Darconian politics played out, as they all tried to improve their standing within the Empire. The nobles held a calculating coldness in their eyes as they constantly schemed. Plans, betrayals, and hallway dealings that could end in death if they failed were the norm. It was a level of corruption that no other nation could ever reach, as it permeated every corner of their society. And it had lasted for over five hundred cycles.
But even in this darkness and greed, there was a ray of light that could not be destroyed. It had been tainted, but it wasn't corrupt. It wasn't evil.
She wasn't, nor would she ever be, her father.
Liliana cut through the teeming mass of humanity that was the Great Hall, her two servants following closely behind her. No one dared move as she passed them, though the servants on the floor nodded their thanks for the brief respite. Her presence was enough to make those closest to her quiet, creating a path to the staircase leading to the second level.
Darcon watched and took in every little detail, both impressed and disappointed. He was impressed because Liliana didn't even need to generate a magical field to grab a room's attention or kill someone. She did it with presence, poise, and regality. They were things that one couldn't obtain through practice. Her sheer presence was enough to inspire awe.
He found it disappointing that she didn't use that to her advantage. Then again, she was powerful enough not to care.
She still abided by the proper protocol, though, making her way over to their table, and bowing. "Father," she said in greeting, maintaining a respectful tone with him. It was yet another thing he was impressed with.
Darcon gestured, granting her permission to sit and eat at his table. "I am grateful that you joined us, Daughter," he returned in greeting. "It has been so long since we were able to talk to one another."
The Princess decided not to comment on that, though she remembered the reason. She had stopped Barok from executing one of the squires simply because he had stumbled, almost catching the General in the arm with his sword. As a result, she received fifty lashings across her back, each delivered with far more force than the last. Obviously, Barok had decided to provide the punishment himself.
After that, before she was literally dragged back to her chambers, she had informed both Darcon and Barok she would exact some form of retribution after she healed.
The next day, both Barok and Darcon found one of their favorite weapons shattered beyond repair. Both received the message she had imparted.
Please do not test me. It will not end well.
They took her warning very seriously, knowing they had gotten off easy with only one weapon destroyed. She was powerful enough to make Barok's life miserable, and as the Princess, she wielded nearly as much political clout as the King. And finally, she was very popular with the slaves and the poor. If she was beaten again, they would revolt. They would fail, but only after they did considerable damage to the Empire.
Of course, that also led to a season-long period of enforced silence between the three not-quite adversaries. They had all spent that winter wondering if they would finally try and kill one another. Darcon had nothing to worry about, but Barok did.
As those thoughts went through her head, Sandra pulled her chair out, allowing her to sit down. Alexandra had already made her way to the serving table, where a veritable feast was laid out. One of the perks of being among the wealthy was fresh food. Even the slaves could eat it, though they had to be careful.
“So, how goes the Eastern March?” Liliana asked Barok immediately. “I understand the city of Bellico has just recently fallen.”
The General visibly bristled, much to Darcon's amusement, but refrained from telling her to mind her place. As the Princess, she was well within her right to inquire about the army's progress. Instead, he replied, quite civilly, "Bellico did fall, Sire. Even as we speak, the surviving females and children are being ferried to the enslavement encampments. Their young males are being conscripted into the army, and will be ready to march within four days."
Conscription into the Darconian army meant brainwashing the young men, turning even the gentlest of them into bloodthirsty killers. Liliana knew this, having witnessed it once before. The city would be rebuilt, and the newly minted slaves returned to serve as a workforce. They would have their places to live, but the contingent of soldiers left behind would see that they didn't enjoy it. That, she had heard about from the reports.
Darcon leaned forward, watching his daughter shrewdly. “You do not approve, my daughter,” he said.
“No, I do not.” She met his gaze firmly. “But then again, I had already made my… concerns clear to you before, Father.” Then, in a much sharper tone, she added, “Do not touch my servant if you value the existence of that arm, Lord Sopian.”
The Lord in question started, then quickly retracted his hand. Alexandra finished filling two plates up and returned to the table without skipping a beat. Without a word, she placed one of those plates in front of Liliana, before she and Sandra went over to a small corner of the hall to share the other.
Darcon was once again amazed by how much in tune with her surroundings Liliana was. Very few people could not only carry on a conversation but still be aware of what was happening. "Well done, Liliana."
"Your praise honors me, Father." She popped a piece of meat into her mouth, chewing it slowly, grateful that she wasn't eating the greasy food of the soldiers. "What about our latest scouting party?" she asked after she had swallowed. "Have we heard anything from them?"
Now the amazement faded as Darcon scowled. “No. We must assume that this one suffered the same fate as the rest. No survivors.”
"And even if they managed to survive the cave, they would still have to make their way back through the Wild Zone," Barok added, growling. "I still say we marshal our forces on the western border and wipe them all out."
"Our forces on the western border are only thirty thousand strong," Liliana reminded him, taking a sip of wine. "With most of our army in action on the eastern front or here in Darconia awaiting the order to march to Geonosis, an attack on the bandits would be equivalent to a disaster. The bandits aren't located within the villages. Those are merely… stop points for them." She took another sip. "Then there is the little detail that the Great Wall is still intact. Geonosis will take our marching into the Wild Zone as a precursor to an all-out attack. By the time the order came through, they would be ready for us."
"Besides, it is not yet time for us to march," Darcon added. "As the Princess stated, their Wall still stands. Our forces would break like the ocean tide against a rock bed. We still have the little matter of the woman from the prophecy
."
'Spare me Seers and their ancient prophecies.' Liliana barely refrained from rolling her eyes, not bothering to reply to the sheer absurdity of his statement. A prophecy was to be interpreted, not followed with a manic zeal.
Yet Darcon believed that it was absolute. How could anyone put their faith in something that could be applied to various situations and people?
That was what she thought, but she was careful not to say it out loud. Instead, she merely finished eating her dinner, listening to her father and Barok talk about other details that didn't concern her. All the while, she kept half an ear open in case Darcon wanted something else from her. Having finished eating, Sandra and Alexandra were now hovering nearby, remaining silent. A good slave did not draw attention to him or herself.
The rest of dinner passed in silence for her. Finishing her wine, she stood up, preparing to leave. She didn't want to be in her father's presence longer than necessary.
"Liliana," Darcon stated, almost startling her, "a new batch of slaves has just arrived from the village of Koas. I thought you might want to… teach them what to expect."
The Princess nearly choked at his words but managed to refrain. It never failed to disgust her how Darcon thought she would even think of doing such a thing to them. "Another time perhaps, Father."
He chuckled, having expected such an answer from her. "Your self-restraint continues to puzzle me. You deny yourself… every advantage your position has to offer."
“Perhaps I am not interested in slaves servicing me in that manner.” She bowed. “By your leave, Father?”
“You may go.”
She hated being in her father's presence for a time, as it grated on her nerves. And she didn't want her friends in his presence for longer than necessary. Restraining the urge to break into a run, she made her way down the stairs.
Darcon watched her and her servants as they left, then the inevitable sigh of relief from the soldiers. A thought had begun to form within his mind. ‘Perhaps there is a way to break her once and for all,’ he mused. ‘One that would give her the push needed to make her the perfect warrior.’
And to remove those slaves from her side once and for all.
*
“I thought you might want to… teach them what to expect," Liliana mimicked when they were all safely back in her chambers. "By the Gods, what kind of idiot does he take me for? Does he think that I would debase someone like that?"
"Do you honestly want an answer to that question?" Alexandra asked, rubbing her arms before she quickly began to start a fire. Spring days could be warm, but it was bitterly cold at night. And considering slave garb, any source of warmth was greatly appreciated.
Of course, the chill wasn’t entirely from the cold air.
Sandra already had her shawl wrapped tightly around her as they waited for the room to warm up. When it did, she began untying Liliana's dress. "Liliana, you know that your father wants you to be cold and merciless, without compassion for those he considers inferior," she said, working the laces loose. "Most of Darconia use us, then casts us aside like refuse when they are done. Such is our lot in life, and that will not change soon." Task completed, she stepped back.
Liliana was soon in her sleepwear, her hair tied back in a ponytail. "Still, you are living beings and deserve at least some respect, regardless of your status. A status, I must add, I hope to change sooner or later."
“Well, it will not be tonight. Your studies will have to come first. Both of you.”
“Yes, Mother.”
Alexandra handed her a book, grinning at her friend's exasperated tone. It was times like this when there were no soldiers around to hear them that the three of them liked. They could actually relax.
Of course, there was also the added little detail that because of Liliana, she had been able to get a proper education, which would have been impossible otherwise… even if no one knew about it save them.
Another thing they liked was the fact that Liliana didn't want them in that rat-infested cubby set aside for their use. Sandra had a hammock nearby, so she could quickly slip in if Darcon or Barok decided to visit. Alexandra slept in the bed with Liliana, which they had done since they were both children. It was emotionally comforting and had the added benefit of making the nobility believe that the Princess was using at least one slave.
It was simply safer that way.
Sighing in unison, the two young women opened their books and started reading.
*
"What do you think Geonosis is like? Do you think it is the paradise the spies claim, or is it just another kingdom projecting an image to the rest of the Continent?" Alexandra asked as she and Liliana climbed into bed later that night.
Liliana frowned thoughtfully, turning the question over in her head. She had never really thought about it before. "I do not think it is a paradise," she finally replied. "On the other hand, I do not think it is another kingdom. If it was, I doubt it could have withstood Father's assault with the ease that it did." She looked at her 'sister,' eyebrow raised curiously. "Why do you ask?"
Alexandra shrugged, lying down. "I am just curious. I mean, I wonder what it would be like to live there. We would be free to choose our path without reprisal."
The Princess had similar feelings on the subject. Even though she was a Princess, she didn't have a choice about what she could do. They had put her into the army the moment her powers manifested. "It probably is. And it does sound magnificent. Then again, at this point, Tieron would be a paradise compared to Darconia." Lying back, she stared up at the ceiling. "To be able to choose your destiny, to be whatever you want… it certainly boggles my mind. Seeing all of the wonders we have heard of. One day, perhaps we will get to experience it firsthand. Maybe we will even live in Geonosis. What do you think, Alex?"
"I am not holding my breath, Lily, but… that would be nice." Alexandra sighed. "All I want to know… is what it is like to be free."
Liliana grabbed hold of Alexandra's hand, holding it lightly. "I want that for you, too. That is all I have ever wanted for you." She smirked. "But for now, we need to go to sleep. Otherwise, Mother will be quite annoyed."
“Mother is quite annoyed right now,” Sandra called from her hammock, eyeing them both sternly. “Go to sleep, you two.”
“Yes. Mother!” the two intoned, giggling.
*
Sandra turned away from the two young women, smiling in amusement. Sometimes, it was amazing how much those two were in tune with one another. In those times, it was easy to forget that they were unrelated and on opposite sides of the Darconian political hierarchy.
She had begun taking care of Alexandra when she had just been born. She could still remember hearing Alexandra’s wails as she was brought to her by two other slaves, the Mark of Darcon still hot on her arm, and feeling a sense of grief for the lost opportunities this baby would never have. It would be a lifetime of servitude for her, beatings, and possibly worse.
But then, two cycles later, Darcon had her assigned to see to the welfare of his newly adopted daughter. According to the Immortal Ruler, a loyal and powerful noble had promised him their firstborn child and died on its eve. Oddly enough, Darcon wasn't disappointed that he had been given a girl. Sandra opted not to inquire. Safer that way.
So she cared for both girls, often wondering what had happened to Alexandra's mother. When she asked, she was told that she had died in childbirth. The near-daily beatings and the lack of sufficient food weakened their bodies, so it was no surprise to her. Her child had been taken from her when she was born, and she hadn't seen the little one since.
She wasn’t surprised when she felt grief at Liliana’s future. She would be tainted, corrupted by the daily machinations of the Empire she would inherit should the impossible ever happen. Eventually, she would start treating her and Alexandra like garbage. It had happened numerous times before, and it would happen again.
Except… it hadn't. The exact opposite happened.
As the two grew up, the two girls became relatively close. For some reason, Liliana became attached to the older girl, calling her sister. Alexandra quickly jumped on the opportunity, both too young to understand. And shockingly enough, Liliana took care of her. When Liliana had terrible dreams, Alexandra helped calm her down. They had even taken to sleeping in the same bed to ward off nightmares. It was amazing to watch.
Sandra thought it would change when Liliana was forced into the army. It was a cold, unforgiving place where people transformed into cold, bloodthirsty killers. So she was once again shocked when that didn't happen. The girls were inseparable. She often saw them conspiring behind everyone's backs, pulling pranks on the soldiers and each other. And through it all, they never changed. Alexandra hoped that one day, she would know what freedom was. And Liliana never lost her innocence nor her solid moral fiber. Those grew stronger. They tucked it away, keeping it out of sight from the prying eyes of their dark world. And as a bonus, Alexandra could obtain an education that secretly rivaled any scholar.
Of course, if Darcon were ever to find out about that, all of that education would amount to nothing. She would be dead within five days. And Liliana would be taken from her.
Sighing, Sandra looked up at the ceiling. She didn't want to lose them, but she knew how Darconia worked. Eventually, they would have to say goodbye.
But for now, she wouldn’t worry about it. She stretched out, closing her eyes. She had just told them to sleep after all. It would do her some good to follow her own order.
*
Liliana loved mornings… even if only for a moment of each day.
In the one moment that she awoke from a deep slumber, the sun's rays falling delicately on her face, it was akin to a fresh start to their lives, that maybe today, they would finally achieve their dreams.
And then she would remember where she was, the two lives she had yet to set free, and her hopes fell like a stone from the sky. And then she would begin her day.
She and Alexandra were usually awoken by Sandra and told to get ready for the day, which included breakfast and a quick morning study session before Liliana went out to perform her duties for the government.
However, this morning would prove different than any other for them. It would mark the beginning of a new path for all three women.
The first change came when Liliana awoke to Sandra's voice. That in itself was not unusual. After all, except for the Dream, she was akin to a rock when it came to sleep. It usually took Sandra yelling in her ear to get her up.
What was unusual was that Sandra did not wake her up as usual. Sandra wasn't in any position to wake anyone up.
Instead, Liliana was woken by the bellows of a drunken nobleman and Sandra screaming. She looked up to see the older woman backed against the wall, her gaze wide, as the man in question forced himself against her, trying to do more. If this went on any further, she would most likely be hurt. And hurt bad.
The Princess reacted instinctively.
Now, on any given day, Liliana was considered a level-headed, compassionate person compared to even the most compassionate Darconians. She was almost Geonosian in her heart…, especially in one department. She protected her two servants diligently. Only where they were concerned did her fury, the desire to kill, come close to breaking free.
In a billowing of bed sheets, the Princess leaped from the bed right over Alexandra, her feet planting themselves into the man's side to separate him from her. He hit the wall with enough force to shake it.
Ignoring him, she checked to ensure her surrogate mother was still all right. Only when she was sure that was the case did she turn her full attention on him, eyes filled with near-overwhelming fire.
The nobleman struggled to catch his breath, his eyes widening as the Princess stalked over to him. "Sire… my apologies," he stammered, now stone-cold sober with terror. "I was not thinking…."
“No, you were not.” Each word was a hiss of fire, almost scorching him with its intensity. “You most certainly were not thinking! You were all warned. No one touches my servants! No one!" She slammed her fist into the wall, barely missing his head by the barest of margins. She wanted to cause him much pain, barely restraining the impulse. "Now get out!” she bellowed.
The man quickly scrambled to his feet, sprinting out of the room. Liliana could have killed him, and there would have been nothing he could have done to stop her. He would forever count his blessings for this day.
Liliana, for her part, did not move one bit, still trembling with rage. That man had no idea how close he had been to dying. At the last possible instant, she had managed to deflect her aim. Had she not, there was a good possibility that she would have gone through his head.
Sandra merely stayed where she was, watching Liliana try and pull the beast away from the brink of Darconian madness. She knew better than to try and touch her while she was like this. The Princess was likely to hurt them while agitated. She had almost done so the last time this had happened. She also stayed where she was to calm down.
Alexandra, who had woken up an instant before Liliana, had not been surprised by the speed Liliana had moved, nor was she surprised that the nobleman had managed to survive in one piece. He would most likely lose an arm, a leg, or even more if she had been in real danger. In the worst-case scenario, he would have been killed or wished he was dead. Luckily, today was not the day they would see that happen.
The situation now dealt with, the blond girl slid out of bed and walked over to Sandra. "Are you all right?" she asked quietly.
Sandra nodded. "Fortunately, he did not get very far," she replied. "The Princess saw to that." Her gaze shifted slightly. "Liliana?"
"I am fine, Mother… at least, I will be soon." The shaking had stopped, and her hands were slowly unclenching. The rage was dissipating slowly, but it was dissipating. "I… cannot bear the thought of anything happening to either of you. At the same time… I fear that one day, I will be unable to control this beast within me." Sighing, she finally turned around to look at them. "I wish that I did not react so strongly."
"We all do, Lily. We all do," Alexandra told her reassuringly. It made her heart ache, watching her 'sister' struggle to contain the fire that burned deep within her. "Still, it took incredible discipline to miss intentionally. You have nothing to be ashamed of there."
"It is the intent that worries me. Every time a noble goes after one of you, every fiber of my being wishes to…"
“Kill them? Make them wish they were never born?”
“And worse.”
None of them wanted to know what was worse than that. It meant going to that dark place within their souls, where no sane person would risk going for any reason.
Liliana sighed, the tension in her muscles becoming even more annoying. "I am going to head down to the Training Room," she said. "Perhaps a little exercise will help me to unwind."
*
Romulus always practiced during the early morning because it was deserted. The quiet allowed him to focus on his moves without distractions and to think about how life had turned out so far. It also meant that he didn't have to feel the seemingly endless wave of arrogance that emanated from every single one of his fellow soldiers.
Unfortunately for him, or fortunately, depending on how you decided to look at it, another soul was there that morning, going through what appeared to be a rather strenuous training session. And judging by the slightly muscular but entirely feminine form moving at near-lightning speed, it was the last person he had expected to see there this early. She slept like a log, that one.
Liliana, for her part, was unaware of his presence as she focused on her attacks. She was presently going through a vicious shadow duel, blocking blows from imaginary foes and returning them. She had been at it for quite a while, sweat streaming down her face. And she continued onward, not slowing down one bit.
Two stabs and an overhead chop later, she finally stopped, breathing in and out slowly as the tension drained from her muscles. This was what she needed; an outlet for her aggression without endangering anyone. If only everything in life could be dealt with like that. There may be no war.
And while she was asking for the impossible, Darcon might change his world views and start practicing to become a ballerina. Or, even better, die.
“Rough morning, Sire?”
The Princess whirled around, startled by how close the voice was to her. Very rarely was she unaware of her surroundings, which was only because she had been focused. It was irritating but something she could deal with. "Captain," she said in greeting. "I… I thought the room was empty."
“So did I,” Romulus replied. “I usually come in early because it is so peaceful. That way, I can practice without any disturbances.”
Liliana nodded, understanding what he meant by that. She didn't want to deal with the hordes or Barok either. She observed the Captain shrewdly.
Romulus bowed to her, assuming a battle stance. Understanding dawned almost immediately, and she followed suit.
The two moved as one, fists and feet striking out like vipers. Blows that, under any other circumstances, would have been deadly.
They were merely the opening shots, delivered and received. Then the impromptu sparring match began in earnest.
The two combatants moved around the Training Room, strikes lashing out at lightning speed. Blocks were just as quick as the evasions. Submission holds were countered quickly or stopped before they had even begun.
Liliana's prior exercise had tired her somewhat, putting her and Romulus on equal footing for the first time. She had never felt it before, knowing she could lose in a one-on-one contest.
She found it invigorating.
Their match took them over to the massive entrance, where the battle finally shifted in Liliana’s favor. Deciding that it was time to try and catch him by surprise, she feinted twice, then tried to kick him.
Romulus quickly caught her leg, then the other, when she tried to attack with the other foot… precisely what she wanted.
Using her hands as leverage, the Princess flexed every muscle, pulling her legs back.
All Romulus knew was that one moment, he had the upper hand. The next moment, he was lifted off the ground and slammed back into it, Liliana straddling his waist. He didn't even know how that had happened.
Liliana got off of him, holding out a hand. Romulus was the only person in Darconia she knew that would never hold a grudge if he lost against her. On the other hand, he always beat her on the Pillars. Losing to her in a sparring match wouldn't seem so much of a letdown.
Romulus accepted the hand, letting her hoist him up. “Most impressive,” he said, impressed. “What had just happened?”
"Oh, nothing. I flipped us around… in mid-air." Liliana smirked, flush with success. "I have something most of our army does not have. Flexibility coupled with inhuman strength, as well as leverage. I honestly did not expect it to work."
"Well, it did all too well." He had to admit that it was somewhat disconcerting. He wasn't complaining, though. He doubted he was flexible enough to do it, though. He would have to remember it for later, if not learn how to do it himself.
Liliana’s smirk became a small smile.
Someone cleared their throat, breaking the post-battle bonding between them. The two warriors stepped away, almost blushing as they turned toward the intruder.
The messenger cowered under the collective glares. "M-my apologies, your Majesty, Captain," he began, "but the King would like both of you to report to his chambers after you have freshened up."
“Did he say why?” Liliana asked.
“No, Sire.”
"Wonderful. Thank you, messenger." When he had hurried away, she turned her attention back to Romulus. "Now, what do you think my father wants from us?" she asked.
Romulus scowled, at a loss. "Whatever it is, it must be important. I doubt he would have sent us a summons otherwise." His gaze slid to the side, breaking eye contact with her. "I suppose we shall have to postpone the rematch and collect our… servants."
Liliana observed him for a moment, having heard the hesitation in his voice. Either e had wanted to say something else, or he didn't mainly like saying that word.
And as the two of them left the Training Room, she couldn't help but wonder why.
However, the mystery that was Romulus would have to wait.
Returning to her chambers, she quickly ran a wet cloth over the exposed parts of her body before heading back out again, Sandra and Alexandra hot on her heels. Darcon always preferred having potential targets at his meetings if he was in a particularly foul mood.
*
The personal chambers of King Darcon were luxurious, as befitting the King of an Empire, with the customary balcony set up so he could look out over his subjects. Drapes of the finest silk hung from the windows and bed. The chairs were made of rich mahogany, as was the large table in the center of the room. It was nothing but the very best for Darcon.
But the room's most essential and telling feature was the vast array of weapons adorning the walls. Each one was from a different era of Darcon's life, revealing a bloody story. They screamed of bloodshed, entire villages decimated, and their populations destroyed or enslaved. It was his legacy—the legacy of Darconia; war, death, and eternal bondage.
But his pride and joys lay behind magical fields of unsurpassed strength. Behind one such field was an ornate dagger placed on an altar for display. Its design was different from any other weapon in his collection because it predated Darconia's creation. It was also his favorite, as it spoke of his early days.
The second sat on a satin pillow. It was a piece of a more significant artifact, all but forgotten by the rest of the world. And only he knew what it was and what it represented. It was the same artifact that he knew his daughter was trying to learn more about. It was a reminder of his first failure and one he kept willingly.
More importantly, he knew what it was capable of.
As Darcon stood there, observing the fragment's unusually smooth lines and the intricate, interrupted swirls that were seemingly chiseled on it, a series of knocks broke the stillness of the air. "Enter!" he barked, turning around.
The doors opened, allowing Liliana and Romulus to enter, their servants following them. Darcon took a moment to observe them all.
The two servants under Romulus's control were typical Darconian slaves. There were bruises on their arms from recent and older beatings, as well as several scars running down their legs. Though whether or not he put them there personally or another did was a mystery. There was also fear in their eyes as if they were terrified for their immortal souls. That was how he liked his slaves; aware of the daily danger they faced. He did not tolerate opposition from the sheep.
On the other hand, Liliana's were injury-free and would most likely remain that way for the rest of their natural lives, thanks to her. Alexandra had not been hit since she was a child and had never had any broken bones or torn muscles. As such, she was capable of doing a great deal more than the average slave. Sandra's old wounds had fully healed, and even her limp wasn't that noticeable unless it started to hurt her. Darcon was forced to admit that the two would live many cycles longer than any other because they were well taken care of.
But the fear was still there. That was a good sign. But their fear was because they knew where it would come from, rather than a general fear. It was tattooed to their left forearm.
For every slave bore the Mark of Darcon, a mystical brand placed on them all. It was a permanent marking, telling all that they were the property of Darcon and his minions. Any material or paint couldn't cover it except for gold, and that was one thing Darconia didn't possess. Moreover, if a slave did anything that could be construed as defiance, all Darcon had to do was will it, and the mark would quickly become that slave's doom. So great was his power, he could cause every slave under his control to die in agony all at once. It was the ultimate deterrent to rebellion.
“You summoned us, Sire?” Romulus asked as he sat down, the slaves moving out of hearing range.
The King nodded, his servants pouring wine into three goblets before retreating. "Have something to drink, Captain." He offered some to Liliana, who sipped it slowly. She did not fear being poisoned, not because she was the King's daughter. Her body could easily defeat any poison that entered her body before it could even begin to affect her. Romulus was hesitant to drink, which was good, but he did so. Darcon was pleased. "You are probably wondering why I have summoned the two of you," he said after the Captain had relaxed slightly.
Liliana nodded. “I am understandably curious.”
“As am I,” Romulus replied.
"As well you should be." Satisfied, Darcon sat across from them, confident that he had their attention. "For starters, Liliana, if you want to send a message out to the rest of the castle, a corpse would be better. I do not need to watch one of my most beneficial supporters run through the corridors, screaming like a little child."
“Was he crying for his mother?”
“Well, yes.”
"Then my message was received. No one touches my servants. Not unless they want to see death up close and personal and humiliate themselves in the aftermath. Now, why have you summoned us, Father? Surely it was not just to criticize me on my method of dealing with disobedience… again."
He nodded, still impressed by how she could focus on more than one topic at a time. "Very well. Tell me, what do either of you know of the expeditions I sent into the Mountain Range?" he asked.
"They were sent to find an alternate route into Geonosis for our troops," Liliana replied almost immediately. "Due to the Great Wall barring the way for any ground assault, finding such a route becomes necessary if we plan to invade. From what I can recall, most of the caves turned out to be dead ends, so there was no loss. But there was one that they found that showed promise."
He nodded, impressed once again. His daughter's memory and recall were incredible and had yet to be wrong. "Excellent, Liliana. And, as I am sure you are both aware, not one of the scouting parties that entered that cave has returned. Now, our spies on the other side have not been able to figure out why that is. None of the scouting parties emerged on the other side."
“What about Geonosis? Have they been suffering casualties from their end as well?”
He was once again impressed. Liliana had asked the question that no other Darconian would have even cared about, which made her truly dangerous. She didn't underestimate the importance of information, as even the most insignificant piece could hold the key to defeating an opponent. "We believe so. Our spies have confirmed no casualties…"
"Which means nothing, Father. They might believe that those soldiers are still alive. It could also mean they are no better informed than we are."
"And what if they are?" Romulus finally asked, his Darconian pride shining through. "We have been preparing for war against Geonosis for centuries. We have the largest army on the Continent, as well as the strongest! We can overpower their defenses and…"
"Perhaps you need a lesson in what constitutes sound military strategy, not to mention height differential," Liliana interrupted smoothly, though respectfully. It was a rare commodity that she showed only to a few. "The Great Wall's outer wall is twenty feet high, giving their archers a decisive height advantage over our troops. The gate is as thick as the walls surrounding it, capable of withstanding even our most powerful battering rams and spells. And even if we managed to overcome the wall, close to six thousand soldiers are stationed there. They are incredibly trained and would cause great damage before they retreated or died. By the time we reached their border, we would be unable to take a town, let alone a city."
Darcon chuckled at Romulus’s surprised expression. “She has the situation analyzed perfectly, Captain,” he said. “We may have the largest force on the Continent, but Geonosis goes for quality in their troops instead of quantity. I made the mistake of underestimating their army five centuries ago, and I swore that I would never do that again, and I expect you not to, either. That is why I need that mountain route. I want to circumvent their wall entirely.” His eyes blazed. “But the way cannot be found if our scouts do not return!”
"So you want us to go there ourselves… and determine what happened to them? And then complete their mission?" Romulus asked, looking somewhat paler than before but no less willing.
“Exactly.”
Liliana frowned thoughtfully. “The usual scouting party is about five warriors,” she mused. “If it is a creature of some kind, one bred to live in the darkness of a cave, it may respond to any unknown vibrations within its habitat. And five fully armored people tend to make far more noise than two or three without that.”
"Exactly." The King could almost see her mind working furiously. "You are considerably stronger than any five warriors, Liliana. And what is more, you and Romulus will have to work together when the invasion begins. Consider this practice so you two can do just that."
He immediately saw a shift in both faces but decided not to say anything. Romulus's gaze brightened considerably at the chance of spending some time with the King's daughter, and he approved. That showed his ambition and wanting to claim Liliana as his own. He didn't know why, but that didn't matter.
Liliana's, on the other hand, didn't change. Not one muscle twitched under her skin. It looked like it had been carved out of stone. The only way he could tell how she felt was in her eyes, which blazed with resentment and anger. A rare emotional response, but one so telling. He knew that, in her mind, he had just insulted her ability to complete a mission on her own and her intelligence. However, she didn't question his command, like the good daughter she was. His word was absolute.
Satisfied, Darcon waved his hand. "You leave in two days," he said. "Make sure you prepare accordingly. You will be briefed tomorrow afternoon."
“We shall, Sire.”
“Yes, Father.”
“Then I shall see both of you at dinner later. You may leave.”
Both warriors stood up to take their leave, bowing to him. They assumed that there was nothing else. Both of them gestured for their slaves to follow them as they made for the exit.
“Oh, and Liliana?”
The Princess turned around immediately, her golden eyes meeting his ice-blue ones firmly. She had been expecting something like this.
Darcon smiled thinly. "You are taking your servants with you," he added pleasantly but with a steely undertone that brooked no argument.
Her body stiffened, and she didn't bow again. Next to her, he watched as Romulus stiffened in surprise. "Of course, Father," she replied, her voice matching his perfectly. "In that case, they will be given suitable traveling garments and horses to handle such a long journey. I shall expect those delivered to my chambers before the end of the day." Turning around, she stalked from the room. The Captain quickly followed her.
Nodding to himself, the Darconian King leaned back in his seat, smiling more widely. He had no problem with her simple demands because they wouldn't matter. ‘There,’ he thought, satisfied. ‘That should remind her of her servant’s place in our society.’
‘It had better.’
*
"He knows how much I care about you two," Liliana grumbled, once they were safely ensconced in her chambers. "He is deliberately forcing me to put your lives on the line. And that is the one thing I refuse to do!"
"Well, what did you expect?" The bitterness was very noticeable in Sandra's voice, as she had suffered the brunt of Darcon's wrath while serving him. "He is simply reminding you that we are nothing to him, and we should mean nothing to you. We are the one 'weakness' in your armor. You are the daughter of the King himself. We are his, and by extension, your property, lower than the rats that run through the corridors at night."
Alexandra looked up, her blond hair concealing her face. But they didn't need to see it to know that she was afraid for a good reason. "Can you not refuse the mission?" she asked. "Not that I already know the answer to that."
Liliana shook her head, her honey locks shifting across her shoulders. "No. From what I could gather from the meeting, the mission is mandatory. In fact, I believe that if I had refused, he would have had one of you killed immediately as an example of my defiance."
“Is that not what will happen anyway?”
"Yes, Sandra. But the truth is that he wants me to take both of you into the mountains and possibly sacrifice you to save myself! And all for a slim chance that…"
Liliana's protest died away as her mind went over the meeting again, going over every word. It was as if a flame sparked in her mind, reminding her to keep her thoughts open to every possibility.
Alexandra blinked at the abrupt halt of the Princess's rant. "What is it, Princess?" she asked, breaking her silence again. The only time she did that was when she had just gotten an idea that was risky but stood a chance of proving beneficial in the end for them all. It had happened twice before, saving their lives both times.
Liliana turned to her, her eyes glinting intensely. “The scouting parties were trying to locate an alternate route into Geonosian territory, one that could circumvent their wall completely,” she said, going over the ramifications of such a discovery. It was a slim chance, but that was better than nothing. “Perhaps he is on to something. Perhaps they did find something, but could not bring word of it to us.”
The two slaves looked at each other, then at her. “Do you believe that there is a route?” Sandra asked, figuring out where she was going with her trail of thought.
"Possibly." The Princess grinned as she stood up, adrenaline pumping. "This could be the break we need. If those scouting parties did manage to find a path into Geonosis, they could have been captured by Geonosian patrols. They could have been killed by some creature within. Or the path would take them through the Valior's territory. They would not have been able to send word back to my Father concerning their discovery, regardless."
That was true. The Valior would have destroyed any force found trespassing on their lands, regardless of what kingdom they were from. Geonosis would have taken them into custody. And if a monster were in the mountain, it would most likely have eaten them for dinner.
Alexandra caught on to their enthusiasm. “That means you can defect,” she said, a strange feeling surging through her. She had never felt it before, and it made her feel good.
"It also means that I can get at least one of you into a territory that is not threatened by an attack and can hold its own against an invading army with great success. I would be able to bring you one step closer to real freedom." Liliana sat back down, her enthusiasm cooling somewhat. "Of course, there is a bigger chance that it will be another dead end."
Sandra leaned in, gaze understanding. "Liliana, we shall therefore face that possibility together. The only question you must answer is; will you take us with you, or shall we hide somewhere in the castle until you return?"
The Princess frowned, but not in indecision. If there was a chance of getting her real family out of Darconia, there was no choice.
She just hoped this decision would be the right one and wouldn't end badly.
*
"Do you truly think she will be able to abandon her two slaves, My Lord?" Barok asked as he and Darcon strolled through the torch-lit corridors. The night had begun to fall across the land, causing the entire population to scramble back home. Dinnertime was fast approaching, and no one wanted to be outside then. The castle had a strict curfew so Darconian soldiers could weed out the unfit and weak. "We have seen the number of little ways she dotes upon them and are curious about how she treats them behind closed doors."
Darcon shook his head, smiling slightly. "I very much doubt that. After all, those two are the most important people in her life. She would sacrifice herself to save them, not the other way around." He smirked, remembering how she had reacted to that last command. "But she must remember that they are little better than the vermin that scurry about inside these walls. The moment she realizes this and acts upon it, then she will truly become invincible."
“So what will she do until that day?”
"She will take them both as ordered and try to free them at the border. That is why I want Romulus with her… so she never gets the chance to do that."
Barok quickly grasped the line of reasoning his King was running on. It was so apparent that he hadn't picked up on it. "You want him to kill them," he said, awed at his audacity. "If he tries to, she will cut him to ribbons. On an open battlefield, she could easily win against him."
"Ah, but he will not strike them down. That is the beauty of this plan." Darcon's smirk grew. "Once the opportunity presents itself, he is to ensure the slaves are separated from their protector. Afterwards, they are to suffer a particularly horrendous fate… quite possibly the same fate our scouting parties have faced." Abruptly, he turned to look at his General. "Liliana must never know of these orders or from whom they have come. If she does, we both know she will either defect or come for my throne. Neither is unacceptable." If she defected, they would lose their most powerful warrior to the enemy and have that power turned on them. If she went after his throne, he would have no choice but to make an example of her. And again, they would lose their most powerful warrior. "This will also give us a chance to see where Romulus's loyalties lie. Will he do his duty to his King and country, or will he help her?"
Barok nodded. He understood the risks of angering Liliana better than anyone, considering the long-standing animosity between them. The nobleman's humiliation was but a taste of her power and the anger she kept suppressed from the rest of the Empire. "Of course. Shall I inform Romulus of his secondary mission before he comes to dinner, then?"
"You shall do just that. And make sure that all four have provisions to last them a while. I am certain my daughter will likely have a list by tomorrow."
“… What if the captain does not accept it?”
“Oh, he will. I know for a fact that he is quite fond of my daughter. He will take the mission if we give him… an incentive.”
Barok bowed to him before making his way to Romulus's chambers with a certain spring in his step and a grin on his face. He had been waiting for the chance to hurt Princess Liliana, and losing her servants seemed the perfect opportunity.
In fact, the only way the day would be even sweeter was if he killed them himself.
*
Romulus entered his chambers, taking note of the room as he always did. As usual, it was clean, with nothing out of place.
His slaves stood by, waiting for his orders, as slaves were supposed to do. That is what they had been trained or bred to do; obey orders without question. If they ever questioned a command, they could be beaten or worse. And, when they could go no further, they were killed or left to die.
He waved his hand to them, dismissing them. "I have no further duties for you," he said. "Go and return to your enclave until called for."
Both bowed humbly, as they were supposed to when addressed by a Darconian noble. Then they exited the room, closing the door behind them. It gave him the illusion of privacy, at least.
Once the door had closed completely, Romulus's entire posture sagged as if a great weight had settled upon him. By the Gods, he hated this. He hated the narrow-minded views of the nobles, the hatred General Barok had for anyone he viewed as too weak, and the ongoing and sickening bloodshed he had endured throughout all four cycles. Sighing, he made his way over to the bed and sat down upon it, covering his face with his hands.
Most of all, he hated how he had to play along with it and treat the enslaved people with as much loathing as he could call upon without hurting them. If he had a choice, he would be more like Liliana and show them nothing but the respect they deserve.
But he couldn't, not without putting himself and his family at risk. Darcon had made it clear that any weakness, or showing a slave even the slightest bit of kindness was akin to high treason, and be dealt with as such. The one responsible would be killed, his family bloodline disgraced for a thousand generations, or enslaved. The only one who could get away with it was Liliana, and that was only because she had the power to do it.
He had such respect for the Princess and the courage that she possessed. Despite being five cycles his junior, she had proven herself exceptional in espionage, combat, and government. Her generosity, fair and gentle nature, all traits virtually unheard of in the Empire's nobility, had earned her the trust and loyalty of the enslaved and the respect of the poor. He often wished he had that kind of conviction… or even a shred of her courage. Having the ability to knock someone into a wall from the other side of the room wouldn't be so bad, either.
At this point, he felt that he had fallen in love with Liliana, or at least the image that she weaved for the public daily. Having never really experienced the feeling in the entirety of his life, he didn't know if that was true. One day, Gods willing, he hoped to find out. He just didn't know how.
Crying over spilled milk and worrying about things beyond his control would not do him any good, though. Standing up, he made his way over to his chest, pulling out his dinner garments. The mission was going to be a long one, so he needed a few good nights' sleep if they were going to get a good start.
Unfortunately, someone knocking on his door would derail his plans. Sighing, he turned around to face the accursed object. "Enter!" he barked, just in case it was a slave, or a soldier of lower rank.
He immediately snapped to attention as the door opened, admitting General Barok, still clad in his armor and with an unreadable expression. The man's hand was nowhere near the handle of his sword, which meant he wasn't going to kill him yet. Especially not after obtaining such a high-profile mission.
The Captain opted not to give him any reason to.
"General," he said in greeting, keeping himself drawn up. He couldn't afford to show any weakness. Not if he wanted to remain alive, let alone on this mission. Barok preferred those who held the rank of Captain to have a bit of a backbone anyway.
Barok merely observed him as if trying to peer inside him. "His Majesty wishes to congratulate you on your continued loyalty to both him and his daughter," he began. "You are a credit to the Imperial Guard and your family."
“His Majesty honors me with such praise.”
"Of course. As such, he would like to offer you a gift… in exchange for your help in a small matter."
Romulus's eyes narrowed slightly in suspicion. Whenever the King offered one of his subjects a gift, it meant he wanted something in return. But to refuse would mean he would be looked upon unfavorably and risk his family's reputation and freedom. "Of course. What does his Supreme Lordship wish for me to do for this gift?" he asked, not really accepting, not refusing it outright. It was the perfect response, the only response he could give to such a request.
Barok nodded as if he had expected no less from him. "During your mission into the mountains, his Majesty wishes Liliana's servants to… disappear. He does not care how it is done, only that it is. Separate them from her by any covert means necessary."
He nodded, still not accepting or refusing it. “And if I am successful… what would my gift be, Sir?”
“If you are successful… you will be granted Princess’s hand in marriage.”
The young man's knees almost buckled out from underneath him, though he managed not to fall. He was shocked. It was as if Darcon had seen into his soul and correctly guessed what he wanted most in the world. It almost seemed like a dream… or a nightmare.
Liliana could be his, and all he would have to do was betray her in the worst possible way.
He was torn, but his experience on the battlefield served him well here, keeping the indecision from appearing on his face. "It will prove difficult," he said slowly as if thinking hard. "She does possess the strange ability to know where they are at any given moment of the day." To agree too quickly would make it seem like he wanted more than just Liliana's hand. Too slowly would make him seem weak. "I shall see what I can do."
His answer satisfied the General, as he said nothing else. He waited until Romulus had saluted him, arm hitting his chest and extending outward, before leaving. The door snapped closed behind him.
And only after several moments had passed did Romulus sit back down, burying his face in his hands again. ‘Oh Gods,’ he thought, barely managing to contain his shaking, ‘what do I do now? Do I betray my conscience and my family, or do I betray my Princess?’
Unfortunately for him, the Gods had no answers for him. And later on, to no surprise, he wouldn't get a lot of sleep those next few nights.
*
Dinner was something of a subdued affair for all four of them.
For Liliana and her servants, they were hoping that this was the first of their final dinners within this most dreadful place. They were cautiously optimistic, ensuring that their feelings didn't show on their faces.
As was usual, the Princess brushed off her Father's suggestions and several noblemen's offers of companionship. Each of them backed away quickly, having given their offers quite respectfully. What had happened that morning had successfully made its way through the castle's grapevine and would most likely reach the nearest cities by the end of the month. Besides that, she was quiet, not even partaking in the usual conversation between Barok and Darcon. She wasn't interested, but then again, she had never really been interested before.
Romulus was quiet for quite another reason. He was thinking about his secondary mission, ignoring the mess below. For the next few days, every decision he made would most likely determine his fate and the fate of Liliana and her servants, no matter how seemingly insignificant it was. He wondered if he could pull it off and betray his Princess. Of course, on that same trail of thought, he knew he could use this time to show Liliana that he was different from the rest. That he was, while not entirely innocent, at least maintained a portion of his soul. On the other hand, he wondered how he could do that. Could he disobey orders issued to him by Barok? Could he put his family in danger by doing that? Had any other soldier in Darconian history faced such an impossible decision?
It was said that one indeed discovered what they were like inside when faced with such a problem. His was either to defy his masters and win the Princess's trust but lose his family forever. Or obey his masters, obtain her hand, and be no different from the rest of the nobility. Which did he want more?
Both had only one thought that was the same. Despite their skills and training, they were both going to enter genuinely uncharted territory. They didn't know what to expect or what obstacles to face. And they certainly didn't know if they would survive. All they could do was prepare themselves as well as they possibly could. They would need food that wouldn't spoil, weapons for defense, and garments to protect them from the elements. Climbing gear was a must, as the cavern was about a quarter of the way up the mountain. They could easily walk up about halfway, but then they would have to scale the rock face.
All four left after they finished eating, the two warriors catching each other's gaze. Liliana's eyes widened fractionally. Romulus's narrowed.
Message sent and received.
Liliana wanted to have a conversation with him before they formalized any plans. And for them to speak without eavesdroppers, they would have to meet in the only place that would ensure that.
*
"He is coming here?" Sandra asked, frowning. "By your invite?"
Liliana nodded, noting how quickly Alexandra had tensed. "I need a better understanding of him without any of the usual restrictions applied to a conversation," she replied, setting her crown on its display. "If I can get him to talk freely, maybe we can figure out whether or not he is trustworthy. We will need to trust him, at least until we reach the mountains."
Sandra nodded in understanding, seeing the wisdom in that. Liliana's group was extremely tight, with newcomers to it carefully scrutinized. This made her power base much smaller than most, but it was also considerably more robust. After all, everyone needed allies they could count on through thick and thin. Each person she was friends with was willing to lay their lives down for her because they knew she would do the same for them. And while they weren't pure of heart and soul, they were honorable, at least. It didn't help soothe her servants, but they slept better knowing those few wouldn't try anything.
If Romulus proved exactly as Sandra believed him to be, Liliana would become friends with a mighty, influential soldier. As Captain of Darcon's Elite Guard, he had access to Darcon and his military strategies. She could also find a way to protect his family from reprisals should he be arrested. But that was only if he did something that could be instituted as treason.
All three of them turned around as someone knocked on their door. Liliana ushered the two servants into hiding before straightening. "Come in," she said.
Romulus quickly did so, closing the door behind him. "Wou wished to speak with me, Sire?" he asked as he stood there at attention.
“Yes, I did.” Liliana gestured for him to sit down. “I am curious as to your opinion on our mission. Do you honestly think we will be able to accomplish it?”
Caught off guard by how quickly she had gotten onto the target, the Captain took a while to answer. Liliana was expecting him to spout out some arrogant, truly Darconian answer. If he did, then she would have to find a way to politely remove him from her chambers without hurting him.
So it was to her surprise when he said, "While I truly believe that we can accomplish this mission, I am not arrogant enough to think that we will succeed. There are too many variables that we do not know. We will also have to keep an eye on your servants every step of the way." He caught her expression but refrained some smiling. "Not what you were expecting to hear?"
"No, not really." She smiled slightly. "You are being honest with me. I can certainly respect that." She could work with that too. "I will be honest with you as well. If you are working alongside me, I need to know if I can trust you. I do not want someone with his own agenda plotting to betray my servants or me. I need someone who will protect them if something were to happen to me and help me as I would for them. Can I trust you to do just that? To give your life for those you deem your inferiors?"
Once again, he was slow to answer, but that was because the question truly mystified him. She could understand why, of course. No other Darconian had ever asked that question because it was unacceptable in their society. "Honestly, I do not know. And I will not know until we are put in a situation where I must make that choice. A situation I have never had to deal with before."
She could accept that. A dark, dank cave was an entirely different arena than an open battlefield. There was no natural way for either of them to know how they would react until they were there. "Very well." Her opinion of him went up a few more notches. "Let us move on to the preparations. Can you think of anything else besides the glaringly obvious?"
"We need to pack Frera bread, which will never go bad. And pack a lot of it, just in case we find survivors. Proper travel garments are a must, including cloaks and boots made for any terrain. We will also need climbing equipment, as we will climb a mountain. Finally, weapons are a must." He stopped for a moment, thinking hard. "I think we will need to break protocol and give your servants knives if nothing else."
She was surprised and also a bit impressed by his suggestion. It was forbidden by Darconian law to even think of giving an enslaved person a weapon. It was nothing short of treason.
Nodding at long last, Liliana favored Romulus with a small smile. “Thank you, Captain,” she said. “I will be making the preparations tomorrow.”
“Will there be anything else?”
“No, that was all. You are dismissed.”
The Captain bowed before turning around. Opening the door, he left the same way he came in; with his dignity intact.
Liliana watched him go before turning around. "Maybe you are right about him," she said. "Perhaps his honor is stronger than his duty."
Sandra smiled, grateful that she was probably right. They had Liliana to watch over them, who she knew they could count on.
Now it was starting to look like they could count on him.
© Copyright 2023 Ray (eros123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289307-Chapter-One-Liliana