*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290546-Flight-to-Drake-Passage
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #2290546
Once in a lifetime trip with a most unusual airline.

Short, short fiction
Word count 466


I board the plane along with the other 200 or so passengers. Moving slowly, I feel as though I’m in a fog, not really aware of my surroundings. Some of the other people look the way I feel. How could there be so many people on this flight, I wonder?

“Welcome aboard, everyone. This is your Captain speaking. We’ll be cruising at an average altitude of 35,000 feet. Our non-stop flight will be arriving at our destination in approximately 12 hours. In the meantime, meals and drinks are free, and we have numerous movies to distract and entertain you. If you’re in need of painkillers, please do ask the flight attendants. We have a well stocked cupboard to keep everyone blissful. Our goal is to ensure your comfort, so, please unwind and enjoy your trip.”

Sitting back in the luxurious first class seats, I pull out the airlines current information brochure.

OWA is proud to be the worlds first and only airline to offer our specialized service. Successfully reaching our goal, each and every flight, has been OWA's promise since 2027.

Our destination today is the Drake Passage. One of the world's roughest, most treacherous and intensely cold stretches of water, the passage lies between the southern most tip of South America and the South Shetland Islands of Antarctica. This is where the Pacific and Atlantic oceans converge, and where fast moving currents flow in opposing directions. More often than not, this results in much turbulence, similar to being in a wash machine. With no land masses to hinder the winds, waves of up to 50 feet are common. If a boat gets into trouble in this part of the world, rescue is unlikely. In these waters even a robust person could not survive longer than 15 to 30 minutes.

We've been asked many times why our flights take place only once or twice a year. It all hinges on finding qualified pilots and other flight staff. If you are reading this then you are one of the lucky few to acquire a rare passenger seat. Congratulations!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It is now 30 minutes before our scheduled landing. Flight attendants are offering sleeping pills to all passengers who request them. Shortly after, the Please unfasten your seatbelt sign chimes and lights up. A few minutes later, the Captains voice is heard over the intercom. He addresses the passengers in a more somber tone this time. "We'll be landing shortly. Thank you for flying with One Way Airlines. We hope you enjoyed your trip. Goodbye. And Good luck."

The lights flicker for a moment before we are encased in darkness. An endless moment later, with a deafening roar, we are plunged into the bitterly cold roiling waters. My last thought is: Thankfully, everything has unfolded exactly as planned.


© Copyright 2023 Petra Pansky (tstmichele at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290546-Flight-to-Drake-Passage